Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Pain... is an excellent teacher.

03-18-2024, 10:35 PM   #133
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviatrix View Post
I do, and I do

After a string of much more expensive and high powered cars I went back to my BMW roots (more or less) and have thoroughly enjoyed this car for a number of years. So much so that I have kept it longer than I'd imagined, and have no firm plans even now to change it.
Talking about BMW roots, I am not sure how many on this forum knows that BMW's HQ, BMW-Vierzylinder, literally means 4-cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 11:16 PM   #134
M3FortiIZay
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
The IS 500's fuel economy was only a minor issue, IMO. If the fuel economy was worse, but the transmission was just as good, the car handled well, was just as composed as the BMW, etc. it would have been a no-brainer. I would have kept the IS 500 because it is a more special car.

My biggest issue is always FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). I wanted a V8 before they go extinct. The problem is that after driving the car for several days and trying to will myself to like the car for what it is... a luxury GT with a big V8... I couldn't do it. All I kept thinking about was...
  • I'm paying more per month
  • Insurance is higher
  • Fuel economy is worse
  • It's not as fun on back roads
  • There's less usable space inside
  • The interior is outdated
  • The tech is outdated (Adaptive cruise, lane centering, parking sensors are all a downgrade)
  • No HUD
  • The transmission is a letdown
  • I gave up my very practical hatchback

The problem is NOT the IS 500. The problem is the M440i GC I came out of is a near perfect car (for me), and I gave it up for a lesser vehicle. If you're driving a Camry, the IS 500 is going to be a massive upgrade. If you're driving a modern BMW with a B58/ZF 8-speed, it will feel like a sidegrade at best, and a downgrade at worse.

If you're driving a BMW made in the last several years with all the tech, and you've gotten used to said tech, the IS 500 is a downgrade. Period. Full stop.

Lexus is designed to appeal to a certain type of buyer, and it is obvious that I am not their target demographic. That's ok. I'm in the group of "I love tech, and I love to drive cars that want to be driven." A BMW 3/4 series is literally the perfect vehicle for me.
The interior is my biggest issue with the Lexus IS500 or I’d have one. Lexus desperately needs to update their interiors and tech. The interior feels like my 2014 IS350 with a few minor tweaks.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:50 AM   #135
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3FortiIZay View Post
The interior is my biggest issue with the Lexus IS500 or I’d have one. Lexus desperately needs to update their interiors and tech. The interior feels like my 2014 IS350 with a few minor tweaks.
I really liked the interior, but the tech was a huge letdown. It had nearly all the same tech as my M440i GC, but somehow, it just felt outdated and less refined (the tech, not the interior) I loved the physical buttons, but everything else felt like a stutter-step behind BMW.

And the seats… Lexus got the seats right. They were super comfortable and very supportive.
Appreciate 1
NGT25619.00