Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Got the 2023 BMW 330 x-drive over the Audi A4 Quattro (45), here’s why:

01-08-2023, 12:36 PM   #1
LarryMarcia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330 X Drive

Got the 2023 BMW 330 x-drive over the Audi A4 Quattro (45), here’s why:

Over the years I’ve driven the 330, 340, A4 and S4 so pretty knowledgeable about the cars. Up until last week, was driving a 340. Great car, but it started having some minor issues over the last few months. Anyway, for my wife and I it was time for a trade and it came down to 2 cars.

Wanted either a 330 or A4(45) because of the price point and my wife and I share a car and the 340 is a bit to noisy and fast for her, so that car got traded in on the purchase. So it came down to the A4(45) and 340. The new MB was out as she hated the look of the car – inside and out.

We picked up the 330 x drive this past Friday afternoon and we are happy!!!

My comparison was this:

Tech – BMW tech is mostly better in my opinion, but the Audi Virtual cockpit is downright amazing and no car manufacturer has anything like it. My wife loved that feature. Still, we even more love the control wheel for the I Drive in the BMW; Audi eliminated their control knob and that was a big mistake. The I Drive control wheel in the BMW gives it the Tech advantage. As for the new long screen in the 2023 3 series, we both think it looks great, is functional, but like our sales consultant told us, the loss of so many functional buttons is not a good thing.

Stereo – For sure, the AUDI B&O stereo system is much better than the HK system that came with the BMW we bought, I’ll admit that and I’ll also admit that my wife and I love listening to great sounding music. But a car is more about engine and performance than it is about stereo. We own the car, so maybe some weekend when I have time I’ll try replacing the speakers and maybe the AMP to see if that improves the HK system. If anyone has changed the HK stereo components with success and improved sound, please send me a message with how you did it. Thanks!

Looks – The BMW looks better for sure. The Audi looks good, but definitely dated, and not nearly as sexy or aggressive looking. BMW is the better looking car.

Engine – Yes, the A4 45 is a lot faster. Car and driver clocked the Audi at 0-60 in 4.8, but to me it felt even faster – more like 4.4 or better. C&D clocked the BMW 330 at 5.2, and to me it felt 5.2. Why anyone would get an Audi S4 over a A4 45 is a mystery, unless they could not find one with the 45 engine as they are in short supply and my audi dealer told me they are not taking special orders. Still, the BMW engine was more linear, more responsive, and just overall felt better, but certainly a bit slower than the Audi. BMW has the better overall engine, and that was a major factor that led us to buy the BMW.

Seats – The Audi seats are better, 100% better as they are bigger and more comfortable and you sit in the middle of the seat without your thigh bottoms resting on the side bolsters as my wife and I (neither overweight) feel in the BMW. The BMW is a good seat, just too small in the width. The Audi came with Alcantra, which may not be easy to keep clean, but it definitely feels good and probably does not get too hot or too cold. We got the BMW with sense-tech – which happens to be very nice and feels close to leather and will probably be more durable over the long haul. We really like the BMW seats, just wish they were a bit wider. My wife says maybe we need to lose weight, maybe she’s right. I just want to eliminate the feeling of my thighs sitting on the side bolsters of the seat. I like sitting in the middle of the seat and the bolsters wrapping around the side of my thigh (not under my thigh). Regardless, not a big deal and something I can learn to live with, and again, the BMW seat is a good seat for sure.

Ride comfort – well I know this is a hot topic with the BMW and run flats…. The Audi with go-flat tires is more comfortable riding in the A4(45) with S Line and sport suspension. And it comes with a spare. The BMW did not have the sport suspension, and actually felt a bit harder riding, especially over the bumps, probably because of the run flats, but not a drastic difference. Maybe someday I’ll get regular tires and a spare, to improve ride comfort and have the peace of mind that a spare gives me on long trips. Rear set in the BMW is kind of tight, Audi has much more space in the back seat. As for engine noise, the Audi engine is quieter. But the BMW sounds much, much, better! (My prior 340 was way worse in terms of ride comfort.)

Service – BMW came with prepaid maintenance for 3 years. Audi came with nothing for service. That is probably worth about $750, so that’s a plus for BMW.

Space / economy – The cars feel similar on the inside. The BMW trunk is bigger (important to me). Fuel economy is better in the BMW. Range and trunk space is key for us as we drive from Chicago to Minneapolis with a lot of luggage and 2 kids about 5 times a year, which is why the 330 electric hybrid model was ruled out because of its small trunk and small gas tank, not to mention there are still very limited public chargers in this part of the United States. We maybe would have considered a Tesla if there were more public chargers around where we live and travel.

Prestige – very similar.

Luxury – very similar, except maybe the Audi is a bit more solidly built inside and out, and Audi still has a lot of buttons and dials for climate control ….. but Audi no longer has the control wheel, and that is a big mistake I think by Audi. The heads up display in both cars is excellent.

In the end, the BMW engine is the key difference, which I think makes it the better choice.
Appreciate 4
francton126.50
HeatJoey1221.50
      01-08-2023, 01:44 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Good choice. The A4 is definitely feeling dated and ready for the new B10 generation later this year.
      01-08-2023, 09:00 PM   #3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

Interesting comparison. I'm in similar situation as I'm shopping for a replacement of wife's Alfa Giulia.

I haven't driven the current A4 45 but had a 2019 S4. Back then the difference was huge between the V6 and the 4 cylinder in feel and sound. I guess the current mild hybrid system really helps in terms of feel. Had her try out the Q3 (yes much slower than the A4 45 but she wanted to try a small SUV) and 330i last weekend she liked the 330i in terms of driving dynamic. I was surprised (as passenger) that the 330i engine didn't sound too bad. My heart was set on M340i but knew she doesn't really need that B58 power.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 09:18 PM   #4
LarryMarcia
Private First Class
Rep

We also tested the Alfa Giulia. That car has excellent driving dynamics, indeed a very connected and engaging Italian designed automobile. Speaking of the Giulia, what sets a sedan like that apart form the BMW and Audi more than anything is the steering, it is perfectly balanced, tight, yet easy to maneuver in tight spots.

I had an S4 with the V8 many years ago and with the V6 about 7 years ago. Somehow Audi managed to tweak their 4 cylinder in the 45 variant to an absolute rocket. Maybe it is the mild hybrid. Anyway, the dealer we went to said that they do not discount any A4 45 cars because it is in such high demand with low supply because it is so close in performance to the S4, but yet much cheaper. Still, the 330 was the better car for us overall.

One more thing while talking about the Giulia - the steering is so good. I know electronic steering is generally less precise and connected than hydraulic, but the BMW has a dead spot on center that kind of makes the car float side to side on the freeway. Having driven the 340 for a few years I just learned to live with it. The Audi we tested also had steering that was not nearly as good as the Giulia, but seemed a bit better than the BMW, although we only went on a short test drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 10:28 PM   #5
DerekTriesG20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMarcia View Post
Over the years I’ve driven the 330, 340, A4 and S4 so pretty knowledgeable about the cars. Up until last week, was driving a 340. Great car, but it started having some minor issues over the last few months. Anyway, for my wife and I it was time for a trade and it came down to 2 cars.

Wanted either a 330 or A4(45) because of the price point and my wife and I share a car and the 340 is a bit to noisy and fast for her, so that car got traded in on the purchase. So it came down to the A4(45) and 340. The new MB was out as she hated the look of the car – inside and out.

My comparison was this:

Tech – BMW tech is mostly better in my opinion, but the Audi Virtual cockpit is downright amazing and no car manufacturer has anything like it. My wife loved that feature. Still, we even more love the control wheel for the I Drive in the BMW; Audi eliminated their control knob and that was a big mistake. The I Drive control wheel in the BMW gives it the Tech advantage. As for the new long screen in the 2023 3 series, we both think it looks great, is functional, but like our sales consultant told us, the loss of so many functional buttons is not a good thing.

Stereo – For sure, the AUDI B&O stereo system is much better than the HK system that came with the BMW we bought, I’ll admit that and I’ll also admit that my wife and I love listening to great sounding music. But a car is more about engine and performance than it is about stereo. We own the car, so maybe some weekend when I have time I’ll try replacing the speakers and maybe the AMP to see if that improves the HK system. If anyone has changed the HK stereo components with success and improved sound, please send me a message with how you did it. Thanks!

Looks – The BMW looks better for sure. The Audi looks good, but definitely dated, and not nearly as sexy or aggressive looking. BMW is the better looking car.

Engine – Yes, the A4 45 is a lot faster. Car and driver clocked the Audi at 0-60 in 4.8, but to me it felt even faster – more like 4.4 or better. C&D clocked the BMW 330 at 5.2, and to me it felt 5.2. Why anyone would get an Audi S4 over a A4 45 is a mystery, unless they could not find one with the 45 engine as they are in short supply and my audi dealer told me they are not taking special orders. Still, the BMW engine was more linear, more responsive, and just overall felt better, but certainly a bit slower than the Audi. BMW has the better overall engine, and that was a major factor that led us to buy the BMW.

Seats – The Audi seats are better, 100% better as they are bigger and more comfortable and you sit in the middle of the seat without your thigh bottoms resting on the side bolsters as my wife and I (neither overweight) feel in the BMW. The BMW is a good seat, just too small in the width. The Audi came with Alcantra, which may not be easy to keep clean, but it definitely feels good and probably does not get too hot or too cold. We got the BMW with sense-tech – which happens to be very nice and feels close to leather and will probably be more durable over the long haul. We really like the BMW seats, just wish they were a bit wider. My wife says maybe we need to lose weight, maybe she’s right. I just want to eliminate the feeling of my thighs sitting on the side bolsters of the seat. I like sitting in the middle of the seat and the bolsters wrapping around the side of my thigh (not under my thigh). Regardless, not a big deal and something I can learn to live with, and again, the BMW seat is a good seat for sure.

Ride comfort – well I know this is a hot topic with the BMW and run flats…. The Audi with go-flat tires is more comfortable riding in the A4(45) with S Line and sport suspension. And it comes with a spare. The BMW did not have the sport suspension, and actually felt a bit harder riding, especially over the bumps, probably because of the run flats, but not a drastic difference. Maybe someday I’ll get regular tires and a spare, to improve ride comfort and have the peace of mind that a spare gives me on long trips. Rear set in the BMW is kind of tight, Audi has much more space in the back seat. As for engine noise, the Audi engine is quieter. But the BMW sounds much, much, better! (My prior 340 was way worse in terms of ride comfort.)

Service – BMW came with prepaid maintenance for 3 years. Audi came with nothing for service. That is probably worth about $750, so that’s a plus for BMW.

Space / economy – The cars feel similar on the inside. The BMW trunk is bigger (important to me). Fuel economy is better in the BMW. Range and trunk space is key for us as we drive from Chicago to Minneapolis with a lot of luggage and 2 kids about 5 times a year, which is why the 330 electric hybrid model was ruled out because of its small trunk and small gas tank, not to mention there are still very limited public chargers in this part of the United States. We maybe would have considered a Tesla if there were more public chargers around where we live and travel.

Prestige – very similar.

Luxury – very similar, except maybe the Audi is a bit more solidly built inside and out, and Audi still has a lot of buttons and dials for climate control ….. but Audi no longer has the control wheel, and that is a big mistake I think by Audi. The heads up display in both cars is excellent.

In the end, the BMW engine is the key difference, which I think makes it the better choice.
Congrats on your G20, here is a good start on the HK journey: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1902173
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 10:35 PM   #6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We also tested the Alfa Giulia. That car has excellent driving dynamics, indeed a very connected and engaging Italian designed automobile. Speaking of the Giulia, what sets a sedan like that apart form the BMW and Audi more than anything is the steering, it is perfectly balanced, tight, yet easy to maneuver in tight spots.

I had an S4 with the V8 many years ago and with the V6 about 7 years ago. Somehow Audi managed to tweak their 4 cylinder in the 45 variant to an absolute rocket. Maybe it is the mild hybrid. Anyway, the dealer we went to said that they do not discount any A4 45 cars because it is in such high demand with low supply because it is so close in performance to the S4, but yet much cheaper. Still, the 330 was the better car for us overall.

One more thing while talking about the Giulia - the steering is so good. I know electronic steering is generally less precise and connected than hydraulic, but the BMW has a dead spot on center that kind of makes the car float side to side on the freeway. Having driven the 340 for a few years I just learned to live with it. The Audi we tested also had steering that was not nearly as good as the Giulia, but seemed a bit better than the BMW, although we only went on a short test drive.
We are 4 months away til the end of the lease on the Giulia and still like the car. At the time we signed, drove all competitors and considered then 330i. At the end the driving dynamic you mentioned as well as the best deal(24mo/sub $500/mo) won us over. I changed out the wheels & tires right away(running 275/19 in the back now) the grip and handling is so good and nimble for what it is. The car feels the lightest among the group too. The weakest part of the car is the interior quality. Material is cheap and tech is way outdated otherwise it's been solid.

Your post got me thinking about the 45TFSI Allroad. Wife loves wagon. Had a short-lived 2014 Allroad and it was a dog with only 220hp. But with the current set-up it might be worth looking at it again before we decide on the 330i.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 02:02 AM   #7
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I’d choose the BMW X-Drive over Audi Quattro simply because X-Drive is rear biased and Quattro is front biased. And I’ve had a B5 A4 and a B7 S4.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
Kvally7.50
Entropy89196.00
francton126.50
      01-09-2023, 07:52 AM   #8
Kvally
Car Lover
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I’d choose the BMW X-Drive over Audi Quattro simply because X-Drive is rear biased and Quattro is front biased. And I’ve had a B5 A4 and a B7 S4.
I did not know that. Very interesting. I am glad I went with my purchase of a 330i (it's at the port today!! almost delivery time). I would not buy a front biased car.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 08:07 AM   #9
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvally View Post
I did not know that. Very interesting. I am glad I went with my purchase of a 330i (it's at the port today!! almost delivery time). I would not buy a front biased car.
It's only the A4 that switched in 2020 to Quattro "Ultra" that ditched the center locking torsen differential. You would need to get the S4 if you want the proper differential (which has a 40/front 60/rear bias).
Kvally7.50
      01-09-2023, 10:02 AM   #10
LarryMarcia
Private First Class
Rep

When it comes to all wheel drive systems, I have personally always said real world performance is more important than what I read.

For me, all that counts is how well they perform in bad (snow, ice) conditions.
I always found BMW and Audi to be similar, and have decent performance, but not great.

But I can tell you that we used to have a Subaru Legacy that would drive up and down our steep snow covered driveway far, far better than Audi or BMW. I don't know how the Subaru system is set up or if it is from or rear bias or whatever, but it does far exceed any audi, BMW or other vehicle I've driven in real world driving on snow covered roadways.

The Subaru is the only car we ever had that drove right up our snow/ice covered driveway with little to no tire spin.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:36 AM   #11
RIneuron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330ix

Quote:
The Subaru is the only car we ever had that drove right up our snow/ice covered driveway with little to no tire spin.
We have had two Outbacks. Agreed they are great in snow and ice, very comfortable for long distance, one of the best driver assistance packages around, and a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 10:44 AM   #12
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When it comes to all wheel drive systems, I have personally always said real world performance is more important than what I read.

For me, all that counts is how well they perform in bad (snow, ice) conditions.
I always found BMW and Audi to be similar, and have decent performance, but not great.

But I can tell you that we used to have a Subaru Legacy that would drive up and down our steep snow covered driveway far, far better than Audi or BMW. I don't know how the Subaru system is set up or if it is from or rear bias or whatever, but it does far exceed any audi, BMW or other vehicle I've driven in real world driving on snow covered roadways.

It's the symmetrical all-wheel drive system doing the trick. By constantly sending equal power to all 4 wheels which greatly reduce the chance of wheel spin at first place. Less complicated but way more effective.
Appreciate 1
Kvally7.50
      01-09-2023, 11:31 AM   #13
Panscan340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

Not sure that many people are buying 4 cylinder sedans for the motor. I think the 330 is just way more fun of a package
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 12:48 PM   #14
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panscan340 View Post
Not sure that many people are buying 4 cylinder sedans for the motor. I think the 330 is just way more fun of a package
Can u elaborate further on 330i being a fun package?

For me, I did get a 2021 330i almost 2 yrs ago after test driving both 330i and 330e. There was no M340i to test drive at that time but I haven't driven M340i owned by friends.

At that time the cheapest inbound M340i was $10k extra out-the-door compared to my 330i(almost base). I do like the power delivery of M340i, but 330i is 300lb lighter than M340i (3536lb vs. 3834lb), and that helps 330i to pivot @cloverleafs.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 02:17 PM   #15
LarryMarcia
Private First Class
Rep

Fun package - For me personally, the absolutely excellent engine and engaging / fun driving dynamics and large trunk of the BMW 330 definitely outweighed it's very dull steering, poor sounding HK stereo, narrow seats, and slightly firm ride.

There are so many similar sedans out there, that the consumer has plenty of options. It comes down to what is best for you as they are all somewhat similar.

I think BMW and its wonderful engines and driving dynamics is something that is not equally present in Audi, and certainly not present in the new MB C300.

If it were just about steering, the best similar sedan is the Alfa by far. If it is just about speed, the Audi A4 45 is the choice. If it is just about the latest tech, the C300 is probably the choice. But with BMW, it's the whole package that made it a good choice for me.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 03:22 PM   #16
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
But with BMW, it's the whole package that made it a good choice for me.
That sums it up well, in other words, BMW esp. G20 provides a great balance of comfort and competence.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 06:31 PM   #17
TakeshiJin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive Tanzanite II

Quote:

My comparison was this:

Prestige – very similar.

Sorry seeing subjectivity used against objectivity is a slap in the face for me and the massive amount of test done by the internet.

The REAL Cargo space is not BMW's claimed 17 Cubic feet. True measurement reveal it's about 12-13 Cubic feet. The fundamental gains is 0.5-1 Cubic feet which is not much more.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/17/...6CvCw2F9ZWF3i2

The new 2023 LCI 330i xDrive fully loaded is 56175+550 Adaptive dampers = $ 56675
If you want it similarly equipped it would be 56625 + $1500 Vernasca Leather = 58175

A new Audi A4 Prestige is $53,790 + $1300 Black Optic putting it at $55090 in which you Ventilated seats not found anywhere on any 3 series.

A 3k minimum discount off of BMW's MSRP would be required to match the Audi's. The Audi is better priced assuming no discount : Spec for spec; Equipment for Equipment; but your still down on power

So the Audi sticks better, is Faster and has the better and more responsive engine. (tires, skidpad, 0-60 results, 30-50, 50-70, etc)

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Pre LCI 330i with a handling track pack.

Bang & Olufsen System is better than HK period. It has better Speaker placement, AMP, Wattage, numbers and diversity of speakers used. Plus : No blasphemous fake engine noise from the speakers that are amped up in sport mode.

Most of all you can get a new Audi A4 with Ventilated Seats . [Yes I am a big simp for ventilated / cooled seats)]

If I would choose the New BMW 3 over the new Audi A4 45 it would be for its massive 42 mpg highway and better city / combined. Cars wise Subjectively the BMW Chassis is more well composed than the Audi at handling. The transmission shifts are also smoother then the Audi's DCT having driven both. As a whole package the A4 just has more points of solidity in various factors that make it an overall better but boring.

If we're talking used 330i vs used a4 45.

I would go 330i if It had the adaptive dampers / track handling package [LSD!!!] by a mile. Good praise link : "https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28858952/2019-bmw-330i-by-the-numbers/"

You can get a fully loaded used 330i 2020-2022 for 30-40k. Which puts it underneath a used 2020-2022 A4 45 at 40-45k.

If I was shopping in this price segment right now I would pick the M340i with internet market selection and pricing right now.

M340i priced used are around 40-50k for Used 2020 M340i vs 40-45k for used A4 45 Prestige.
The B58 M340i is a lot faster.
Just as Fuel Efficient as A4 A45 on the highway. The city and Mix the A4 45 will have 2-4 MPG better.
Laser Lights > Matrix Led
Handling M340i (eLSD) > A4 45 (open diff)

Last edited by TakeshiJin; 01-09-2023 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 07:33 PM   #18
DerekTriesG20
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2045 View Post
It's the symmetrical all-wheel drive system doing the trick. By constantly sending equal power to all 4 wheels which greatly reduce the chance of wheel spin at first place. Less complicated but way more effective.
Hmmm, unless I am missing something I guess that also results in higher fuel consumption?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 07:35 PM   #19
DerekTriesG20
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeshiJin View Post
Seeing subjectivity used against objectivity is a slap in the face for me and the massive amount of test done by the internet.

The REAL Cargo space is not 17 Cubic feet. True measurement reveal it's about 12-13 Cubic feet. The fundamental gains is 0.5-1 Cubic feet which is not much more.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/17/...6CvCw2F9ZWF3i2

The new 2023 LCI 330i xDrive fully loaded is 56175+550 Adaptive dampers = $ 56675
If you want it similarly equipped it would be 56625 + $1500 Vernasca Leather = 58175

A new Audi A4 Prestige is $53,790 + $1300 Black Optic putting it at $55090 in which you Ventilated seats not found anywhere on any 3 series.

A 3k minimum discount off of BMW's MSRP would be required to match the Audi's. The Audi is better priced assuming no discount : Spec for spec; Equipment for Equipment; but your still down on power

So the Audi sticks better, is Faster and has the better and more responsive engine. (tires, skidpad, 0-60 results, 30-50, 50-70, etc)

Pre LCI 330i with a handling track pack.

Bang & Olufsen System is better than HK period. It has better Speaker placement, AMP, Wattage, number and diversity of speakers. Plus no blasphemous fake engine noise from the speakers that are amped up in sport mode.

Most of all you can get a new Audi A4 with Ventilated Seats . [Yes I am a big simp for ventilated / cooled seats)]

If I would choose the New BMW 3 over the new Audi A4 45 it would be for its massive 42 mpg highway and better city / combined. Cars wise Subjectively the BMW Chassis is more well composed than the Audi at handling. The transmission shifts are also smoother than the Audi's DCT having driven both. As a whole package the A4 just has more points of solidity in various factors that make it an overall better but boring.

If we're talking used 330i vs used a4 45.
I would go 330i if It had the adaptive dampers / track handling package by a mile. Good praise link : "https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28858952/2019-bmw-330i-by-the-numbers/"

You can get a fully loaded used 330i 2020-2022 for 30-40k. Which puts it underneath a used 2020-2022 A4 45 at 40-45k.

If I was shopping in this price segment right now I would pick the M340i with internet market selection and pricing right now.

M340i priced used are around 40-50k for Used 2020 M340i vs 40-45k for used A4 45 Prestige.
The B58 M340i is a lot faster.
Just as Fuel Efficient as A4 A45 on the highway. The city and Mix the A4 45 will have 2-4 MPG better.
Laser Lights > Matrix Led
Handling M340i (eLSD) > A4 45 (open diff)
Good analysis, I will just randomly throw this video in as well:
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 07:40 PM   #20
LarryMarcia
Private First Class
Rep

Takeshijin - Great post and good analysis. I will say that the Audi A4 (45) in Prestige trim is probably one of the greatest sleeper cars ever made, in large part because most don't know that it is rocket fast and so different than a standard A4.

Ventilated seats - nice, but not a game changer for me.

HK / BO - 100% agree with you. I don't care if almost all car stereo systems are made by Samsung or another company. The Bang & Olufsen stereo is head and shoulders better than the HK, period. I loved going on long trips with my S4 in large part because the BO sound was really that amazing!

When I have the money, the HK will be ripped out of my 3 series and replaced with a quality system.

Still, as that first video above shows, the prize goes to the 3 series. It's just a better handling and more engaging vehicle in my personal and humble opinion.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 08:02 PM   #21
DerekTriesG20
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Takeshijin - Great post and good analysis. I will say that the Audi A4 (45) in Prestige trim is probably one of the greatest sleeper cars ever made, in large part because most don't know that it is rocket fast and so different than a standard A4.

Ventilated seats - nice, but not a game changer for me.

HK / BO - 100% agree with you. I don't care if almost all car stereo systems are made by Samsung or another company. The Bang & Olufsen stereo is head and shoulders better than the HK, period. I loved going on long trips with my S4 in large part because the BO sound was really that amazing!

When I have the money, the HK will be ripped out of my 3 series and replaced with a quality system.

Still, as that first video above shows, the prize goes to the 3 series. It's just a better handling and more engaging vehicle in my personal and humble opinion.
I guess they aren't called the Ultimate Driving Machine for nothing. That said, the last gen was heavily criticized as it didn't drive like a BMW? I am glad BMW went back to its roots and recreated this Ultimate Driving Machine in the form of the G20.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 08:21 PM   #22
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTriesG20 View Post
Hmmm, unless I am missing something I guess that also results in higher fuel consumption?
Efficiency is not what it's known for. Safety and versatility are.
Appreciate 0