Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Pre LCI vs LCI M340i questions

03-03-2023, 09:06 AM   #1
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Pre LCI vs LCI M340i questions

Hi all, I just recently got word after two months of waiting my custom order for a 23 M340i is received.
For whatever reason everywhere I look up I can’t get some details on iDrive 8 and the headlights. I have heard you can go to shortcuts from the wheel if you click upward- but what I was wondering was if you can make shortcuts to the climate control or short cuts to the max A/C or custom temp setting, air circulation/direction, etc.. All I want is to quickly have a shortcut to that without having to resort to voice commands. I wouldn’t even mind the AC going fully into the screen if they had just kept the old control that used to be next to the lock unlock buttons in the center dash.

Second thing I was wondering was the cornering and adaptive ligjts. There’s not been a consensus I think here but for those with 23 models do you have it? Hoping it does because after staring at it enough the new headlights have grown on me but really want the cornering ligjts to remain.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 09:27 AM   #2
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by humisfum View Post
Hi all, I just recently got word after two months of waiting my custom order for a 23 M340i is received.
For whatever reason everywhere I look up I can’t get some details on iDrive 8 and the headlights. I have heard you can go to shortcuts from the wheel if you click upward- but what I was wondering was if you can make shortcuts to the climate control or short cuts to the max A/C or custom temp setting, air circulation/direction, etc.. All I want is to quickly have a shortcut to that without having to resort to voice commands. I wouldn’t even mind the AC going fully into the screen if they had just kept the old control that used to be next to the lock unlock buttons in the center dash.

Second thing I was wondering was the cornering and adaptive ligjts. There’s not been a consensus I think here but for those with 23 models do you have it? Hoping it does because after staring at it enough the new headlights have grown on me but really want the cornering ligjts to remain.
The wining about AC buttons moving on the screen is completely made up outrage. Almost no one who actually use the thing is complaining about it. And I don’t know you, but almost every BMW driver that I know of (Including me) use the AC in ‘Auto’ setting. That’s why I don’t understand people invest so much to hate on it in social media. Sure, AC buttons and shortcuts are moved to the screen, but seriously look at what you get in return!

Idrive 8 is exponentially nicer, has more features, better bigger screen and graphics, and way faster. The only ‘drawback’ if you call that a drawback, is that you have the tap twice to turn on your heated seats instead of one. What you gain from idrive 8 is much more than what you “lose”. - Such as much better navigation, much better HUD, much better graphics & customization, better drive assist, 2-screen CarPlay for the first time in any car, and much more. Personally, I have idrive 7 right now, but I’d never buy a car with idrive 7 at this point, after experiencing idrive 8.

And here’s a full explanation of idrive 8 features including shortcuts:

As for the cornering lights, you need to get shadow line package for those.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 03-03-2023 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
sfgator40.50
      03-03-2023, 10:36 AM   #3
Entropy89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
The wining about AC buttons moving on the screen is completely made up outrage. Almost no one who actually use the thing is complaining about it. And I don’t know you, but almost every BMW driver that I know of (Including me) use the AC in ‘Auto’ setting. That’s why I don’t understand people invest so much to hate on it in social media. Sure, AC buttons and shortcuts are moved to the screen, but seriously look at what you get in return!

Idrive 8 is exponentially nicer, has more features, better bigger screen and graphics, and way faster. The only ‘drawback’ if you call that a drawback, is that you have the tap twice to turn on your heated seats instead of one. What you gain from idrive 8 is much more than what you “lose”. - Such as much better navigation, much better HUD, much better graphics & customization, better drive assist, 2-screen CarPlay for the first time in any car, and much more. Personally, I have idrive 7 right now, but I’d never buy a car with idrive 7 at this point, after experiencing idrive 8.

https://youtu.be/NROT0KpcFHM

I don’t know that the lack of climate control buttons causing outrage is entirely made up…maybe “outrage” is too strong of a description, more like inconvenient. I’m not saying its a deal breaker (for me) but I interact with the climate controls more than the majority of the apps on idrive and it is more distracting to have to navigate to a separate menu and then look over at the function youre trying to adjust. With the buttons, its muscle memory and the temp/fan speed is always displayed.

2018 F30 330ix - no more.

2005 E46 325xi - I want this car back.
Appreciate 4
      03-03-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
Sbu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post

I couldn’t care less where the aircon button is located. I didn’t care when it was a button and I don’t give a flying kite it’s software now.
I’m fetching my M340i LCI next week.

Those who decide an entire car on aircon can keep their pre-LCI’s but I will tell you this - LCI is better in every way conceivable! It’s more jealousy on the part of those who already have the older shape!

I test drove the pre-lci. I didn’t care for it.
Weather is not changing ever 2 seconds that I need to care where the aircon button is located! I never cared or got excited that I was clicking a hard button in my M240i why should I care now!
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 11:42 AM   #5
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Use voice command to say your butt is cold and it will turn up seat heating.
Automatic climate control on iDrive 8 is fantastic. I never have to adjust temperature.
Appreciate 2
awh59.00
      03-03-2023, 12:18 PM   #6
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbu View Post
LCI is better in every way conceivable! It’s more jealousy on the part of those who already have the older shape!
You're going to be hard pressed to convince me the front and especially the rear end changes are in any way "better".
iDrive 8 looks and works better for sure. Don't care much about the climate buttons either, but I do use the memory buttons like ALL the time and would miss those.
Looks kinda weird without a shifter.
Appreciate 6
      03-03-2023, 12:37 PM   #7
Sbu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
You're going to be hard pressed to convince me the front and especially the rear end changes are in any way "better".
iDrive 8 looks and works better for sure. Don't care much about the climate buttons either, but I do use the memory buttons like ALL the time and would miss those.
The future looks weird!

I never liked the pre-LCI. Never got it. This one I ordered just from internet pictures and videos alone.

Let me say this. Put them side to side. No one one will choose the pre-LCI M340i over the LCI. Ever!
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 12:43 PM   #8
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
I like it better than the column shifter on my wife's E350 Coupe.
When I switch between cars, I end going to the wrong area for the shifter.
      03-03-2023, 12:45 PM   #9
Geo_FF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340xi Portimao Blue

Garage List
Quote:
The future looks weird!

I never liked the pre-LCI. Never got it. This one I ordered just from internet pictures and videos alone.

Let me say this. Put them side to side. No one one will choose the pre-LCI M340i over the LCI. Ever!
Same here, I never liked the pre-LCI front with those weird headlight notches. The car was never on my radar until the LCI. Otoh I'm not that fond of the new rear bumper, but I can live with it. The curved display looked odd in pictures, but in person, from the driver's viewpoint especially, it looks good.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 12:47 PM   #10
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
The future looks weird!

I would choose the pre-LCI, hands down
Entropy89196.00
joeyb26281.50
zazzau754.50
Ikester192124.00
dL.78.50
madpistol1744.50
TTG936.00
iifymbro693.50
      03-03-2023, 01:00 PM   #11
Entropy89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
I would choose the pre-LCI, hands down
Same here, this is the first LCI I really haven’t cared much about. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think its bad in any way but it’s just not my preference. Also the notches in the headlights are hommage to the E46 which I always liked.

2018 F30 330ix - no more.

2005 E46 325xi - I want this car back.
Appreciate 2
oz555672.00
      03-03-2023, 01:11 PM   #12
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy89 View Post
Same here, this is the first LCI I really haven’t cared much about. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think its bad in any way but it’s just not my preference. Also the notches in the headlights are hommage to the E46 which I always liked.
I second this. Lci has always been very desirable, but not for me with this car and new x5.
Appreciate 3
      03-03-2023, 01:16 PM   #13
LPTyler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

I love the automatic climate control on this
Car. I have never used auto before because I am never happy with it, but this one is just great. The only time I put it in manual is when I leave the gym and I need the defrost only because my windows are fogging up.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 01:45 PM   #14
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

i'm an old dude in their 40s. can't work the screen on my wife's iphone, can't work the screen on my samsung, can't work the screen on anything. i prefer to read books than use a kindle or ipad.

when i grew up we had to put a hold on library books to find facts at college - if you're lucky it gets returned within the fortnight. now you talk to google or siri. we used to hack public payphones with casio pulse dial wrist watches.

i love my buttons and young people love screens.

it is what it is. just preference.

when i grow up there will be a quad motor in-wheel EV that i will hoon around in - press the M1 button for drifting, press the M2 button for hill climb roads, and when i don't feel like it i'll talk to the screen and it will drive me home.

Last edited by G30M; 03-03-2023 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 3
peelerec987.50
NGT25617.50
      03-03-2023, 01:49 PM   #15
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
i'm an old dude in their 40s. can't work the screen on my wife's iphone, can't work the screen on my samsung, can't work the screen on anything. i prefer to read books than use a kindle or ipad.

when i grew up we had to put a hold on library books to find facts at college. now you talk to google or siri. we used to hack public payphones with casio pulse dial wrist watches.

i love my buttons and young people love screens.

it is what it is. just preference.

when i grow up there will be a quad motor in-wheel EV that i will hoon around in, and when i don't feel like it i'll talk to the screen and it will drive me home. i'm at peace with that.
Sounds like a bleak future. I’ll have to start keeping all my vehicles and store them somewhere so that future me can enjoy a non electric vehicle when I am 70, lol.
      03-03-2023, 01:50 PM   #16
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like a bleak future. I’ll have to start keeping all my vehicles and store them somewhere so that future me can enjoy a non electric vehicle when I am 70, lol.
you better treat your M340i well!
Appreciate 1
peelerec987.50
      03-03-2023, 01:55 PM   #17
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
just came back from hooning around in the M340i.

making machine gun bangs with the exhaust while driving, and making obnoxious fart noises when stationary.

sorry i don't think you could do that with your 2022 ;p
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 02:00 PM   #18
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
just came back from hooning around in the M340i.

making machine gun bangs with the exhaust while driving, and making obnoxious fart noises when stationary.

sorry i don't think you could do that with your 2022 ;p
It unfortunately does not make many pop/bangs as the 20’s do. It still sounds lovely with the AA downpipe and MPE….. just missing the burbles *sigh*
      03-03-2023, 02:16 PM   #19
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
I will tell you this - LCI is better in every way conceivable! It’s more jealousy on the part of those who already have the older shape!

I test drove the pre-lci. I didn’t care for it.
LOL what? You do know most of us are leasing and can just roll right into the new model right? Also it’s the exact same car minus some slight cosmetic changes and infotainment, so how can you not care for the car with the exact same driving dynamics is weird as hell
Appreciate 5
      03-03-2023, 02:17 PM   #20
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Maybe speak for yourself? pre-LCI might not be for you but if you look around the forum there are folks avoiding the LCI and would rather go with CPO
Appreciate 8
      03-03-2023, 02:24 PM   #21
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
in theory you could code whatever engine sound you want. V10 NA is my preference.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 02:28 PM   #22
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
in theory you could code whatever engine sound you want. V10 NA is my preference.
Lol, in the future I’m sure all Tesla’s will have an external audible “engine” sound.

I have considered unlocking my DME via FEMTO just for the burbles, but that’s all really I would want to do. The car already has plenty of power for the track. I’ll probably never unlock the DME.