Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Pre LCI vs LCI M340i questions

03-03-2023, 02:28 PM   #23
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
I would choose the pre-LCI, hands down
The only reason being you bought the last pre-LCI 3 series, so you're lying to yourself to feel better about that. Haters of idrive 8 are all in the same boat.

I don't believe anyone who experienced both and with functioning eyes would like our dark speedometer and our smaller and darker and less customizable and choppier middle screen better.

idrive 8 is objectively and quantifiably MUCH better than idrive 7.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 03-03-2023 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 02:32 PM   #24
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
The only reason being you bought the last pre-LCI 3 series, so you're lying to yourself to feel better about that.

Haters of idrive 8 are all in the same boat.
Obviously it seems I am being a bit bias, however, I do not particularly like the look of the LCI rear bumper. The front has grown on me, but still prefer pre-lci.

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, so as long as you believe it is better, then that is ok with me. No hate, just subjective personal opinions here.
      03-03-2023, 02:39 PM   #25
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Maybe speak for yourself? pre-LCI might not be for you but if you look around the forum there are folks avoiding the LCI and would rather go with CPO
Folks? How many?
This is total BS. Nobody who experience both would go with the old one.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 02:43 PM   #26
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Folks? How many?
You are a seriously stupid person.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

madpistol1746.00
chenry2357.50
      03-03-2023, 02:52 PM   #27
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Folks? How many?
Like I said, you should probably look around the forum and stop projecting your preferences. If I was in the market for one I would also be looking at pre-LCI. I’ve test driven LCI at dealership - yes iDrive8 is nice and sleek but there’s more to driving - for me - than a nice giant screen. Might be old habits but I like physical buttons and shortcuts for everything not just A/C. I use those buttons everyday and I do adjust my A/C on the regular even on AUTO. I also like that there’s a gear knob in pre. There’s a lot more about pre that I find more appealing. Nothing against anyone who prefers the LCI; I am just saying you are displaying ignorance by assuming no one will choose the pre-LCI when placed side by side with LCI.
Appreciate 6
      03-03-2023, 03:02 PM   #28
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Folks? How many?
I have experienced both and would still choose pre lci. Again, it’s completely subjective and personal opinion.
To say it’s “BS and nobody” is a bit too strong of a statement. I am not saying the lci is inferior or anything in that realm. I’m just stating that some people, such as myself, prefer pre lci appearance and I drive 7.
Entropy89196.00
TruthOne1081.00
ergarza103.50
      03-03-2023, 03:43 PM   #29
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

I dunno - I’m not the only LCI owner who also has a pre-LCI that has said iDrive 8 is not better than 7. It’s more beautiful, but it doesn’t have more features nor is it faster. There’s a difference between playing with it during a few test drives and living with it day-to-day. I can’t tell you how many times I miss things that iDrive 7 had which are missing on iDrive 8. Oh, and this is with both cars still in our possession and both now running 11/2022 software.

In regards to digital climate controls now, I don’t mind it. You get used to it. I keep it on auto with the dynamic airflow setting. The only thing I tap is my temp on the lower third of the screen to adjust it up and down. And going into the climate screen isn’t a big deal as there’s a digital button on that lower third which is static - just says climate.
Appreciate 4
TruthOne1081.00
madpistol1746.00
      03-03-2023, 03:55 PM   #30
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Wow a lot of opinions on the LCI and iDrive 8. For me I just want a little bit of a muscle memory to be able to turn the AC or heated seats on and off without having to look at the screen and I figure with a shortcut it would mean at any time I can click up and turn the wheel to the first shortcut and click down and know it’s set to a different fan speed for example. People tell me voice commands are great and it is for solo drives but when I have a kid or someone sleeping in the back or passenger seat on a long drive you just don’t want to make any noise besides the pops from iconic sounds lol. (Speaking of do y’all keep it on or off? I know it’s piped in but I’ll probably keep it on all the time)

The look of the LCI in my opinion is better but everyone has a different taste. Ideally for me I want a sleeper without m badges and no special mirrors or grilles. The only gripe I have is the tailpipes on the 340i are worse than the 330i, idk if others feel the same.

Here’s to hoping my order is scheduled for production soon.
Appreciate 1
peelerec987.50
      03-03-2023, 04:21 PM   #31
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

There is no need to belittle one another over something this trivial. As an original G20 owner since Summer of 2019. I have grown to prefer the looks of the LCI and will most likely upgrade by next year or hop into a G87. We don't have to all like the same things in life, that's what makes us individuals.
      03-03-2023, 04:23 PM   #32
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
There is no need to belittle one another over something this trivial. As an original G20 owner since Summer of 2019. I have grown to prefer the looks of the LCI and will most likely upgrade by next year or hop into a G87. We don't have to all like the same things in life, that's what makes us individuals.
Totally agree. Just enjoy the driving dynamics of whichever one you have.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 04:30 PM   #33
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
The 3 series wasn't on my radar until the LCI.
The pre-LCI headlights especially the DRL looks like any other VW vehicle out there.
At least the LCI one looks like a 5 series upside down. And unique for now!
And the old front eyebrow turn signal looks like a Honda.
As for the rear. I like how aggressive the new bumper looks. Even if the diffuser isn't functional.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 05:45 PM   #34
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
This.
      03-03-2023, 09:08 PM   #35
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I personally think the LCI front looks better but the diffuser looks worse in the rear . I wish it had a shifter too. I’ll probably end up going G80 next either way.

Speaking of G80’s has anybody noticed how many are out there? How are all these people buying 100k cars? I see more G80’s and 82’s than M340’s and 440’s now. It’s like they just exploded in popularity, the F80 wasn’t nearly as common
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 10:20 PM   #36
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
I personally think the LCI front looks better but the diffuser looks worse in the rear . I wish it had a shifter too. I’ll probably end up going G80 next either way.

Speaking of G80’s has anybody noticed how many are out there? How are all these people buying 100k cars? I see more G80’s and 82’s than M340’s and 440’s now. It’s like they just exploded in popularity, the F80 wasn’t nearly as common
I’ve been in the G80 forum recently. It’s a pretty busy place!

03-03-2023, 10:20 PM   #37
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post

I concur. I see more G80’s than G20’s. It’s mind boggling. I’ll be placing my order for a G80 soon as well, but I am surprised at the volume of G80’s I see on the road. It’s a great thing that enthusiasts are purchasing these types of cars.
TruthOne1081.00
Entropy89196.00
      03-03-2023, 11:12 PM   #38
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

These things are subjective. Software and hardware design is subjective. iDrive 7 vs iDrive 8 is like an apple vs android argument.

You will find people who like either one or the other. Doesn’t mean one is wrong and the other is right. Simply means one prefers the other.

I do find it hilarious though that people get upset here about stupid design things like integration of a dash to the point of extreme protest. As others have stated here, this is one of the most toxic, brand hate fueled, car forums out there. Other brands don’t have this level of hate on their forums, only BMW.

Enjoy your cars folks, stop worrying about whether it looks like an iPad was tacked on when idrive 7 was exactly the same way, as has been all since NBT (~2012) when they stopped encasing the screen around the dash….
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2023, 01:38 AM   #39
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
I do find it hilarious though that people get upset here about stupid design things like integration of a dash to the point of extreme protest. As others have stated here, this is one of the most toxic, brand hate fueled, car forums out there. Other brands don’t have this level of hate on their forums, only BMW.
I don’t spend time on other brand forums, so can’t comment on what other forums are like, but I don’t really believe your comparison is true. What I can say is you’re the only person I can recall ever making this comment on this forum in the seventeen years I’ve been a member. I’m on this forum and Bimmerfest and in my experience there is not a lot of acrimony on either forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
Enjoy your cars folks, stop worrying about whether it looks like an iPad was tacked on when idrive 7 was exactly the same way, as has been all since NBT (~2012) when they stopped encasing the screen around the dash….
I’m sorry, but there is not a comparison. A binnacle with actual design. No design at all.
Attached Images

03-04-2023, 02:18 AM   #40
X7 Recruit
out driving
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X7, 997.2, Mini Cab, M440i Cab

The above post with comparison pics is great, and they are all good looking dashboards. I came to a 2022 X7 40d (iDrive 7) from multiple cayennes/Macans/911s, and as I’ve said elsewhere, I’m not going back. I’m taking delivery of an M440i cab next week, with idrive 7. I paused a beat as I knew that if I ordered a car I could get idrive 8, but too many things put me off.

- lack of buttons: Porsche went this route a few years ago with their piano black haptic interface, and I hate it. Fingerprint/dust magnet, which you can’t use without taking eyes off the road. Clearly manufacturers are going this route for one main reason, which is cost efficiency. The screen is a sunk cost, so it’s basically free; every extra button costs the company money.
- too many sub-menus: idrive 7 is already pushing it, but the important things are front and center. Anything that takes my attention off the road is bad.
- the whole iPad thing: I like the separate screens, and the part of the dash that keeps the sun off the gauge cluster. I just like the look better - and the new setup reminds me of Tesla, and I hate Elon Musk and everything he touches, so, that.
- mid-cycle refresh: there are arguments for and against, Porsche does .2 cars very well, but I’m not sure I would say the same for BMW in this instance. Plus, as someone wrote above, these aren’t cars we’ll generally be keeping for more than a few years… personally I can wait for the next model, see what comes, and then decide to hop into a (late model, bugs worked out) LCI.

As I said at the top, these are all great looking dashboards. I’d be happy to deal with any one of them every day. My other comments notwithstanding, BMW keeps knocking it out of the park.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2023, 02:35 AM   #41
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X7 Recruit View Post
The above post with comparison pics is great, and they are all good looking dashboards. I came to a 2022 X7 40d (iDrive 7) from multiple cayennes/Macans/911s, and as I’ve said elsewhere, I’m not going back. I’m taking delivery of an M440i cab next week, with idrive 7. I paused a beat as I knew that if I ordered a car I could get idrive 8, but too many things put me off.

- lack of buttons: Porsche went this route a few years ago with their piano black haptic interface, and I hate it. Fingerprint/dust magnet, which you can’t use without taking eyes off the road. Clearly manufacturers are going this route for one main reason, which is cost efficiency. The screen is a sunk cost, so it’s basically free; every extra button costs the company money.
- too many sub-menus: idrive 7 is already pushing it, but the important things are front and center. Anything that takes my attention off the road is bad.
- the whole iPad thing: I like the separate screens, and the part of the dash that keeps the sun off the gauge cluster. I just like the look better - and the new setup reminds me of Tesla, and I hate Elon Musk and everything he touches, so, that.
- mid-cycle refresh: there are arguments for and against, Porsche does .2 cars very well, but I’m not sure I would say the same for BMW in this instance. Plus, as someone wrote above, these aren’t cars we’ll generally be keeping for more than a few years… personally I can wait for the next model, see what comes, and then decide to hop into a (late model, bugs worked out) LCI.

As I said at the top, these are all great [...]
Lol at the Elon comment. I agree the all screens approach sucks except with one difference- the controller sitting next to the now removed gear shift.

I didn’t realize how beneficial it is until I switched to a Volvo (please don’t judge I thought it would be cool and unique until the refresh of the g20). Before my Volvo I had a 2018 340i and even though it had a touch screen and you could see where they were going with iDrive and buttons I was able to use everything (CarPlay included) with the controller and my steering wheel controls. You don’t have to constantly look at the screen and also look your finger hit the right button. As far as I can tell a lot iDrive 8 isn’t fully touch screen dependant but I haven’t confirmed it for the climate control. If that’s the case it’s a leg up on the other competitors. Idk if Lexus still has that horrible touch pad mouse contraption but as long as it’s not like that I’m happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 04:20 AM   #42
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
I don't even think the iD8 visuals are better, honestly. Driven both and I've said it before - the "aero" style swooshes are just distracting and add visual clutter. iD7 may be a smaller screen, but it's damn cleaner.

Also not for nothing they totally neutered the M340i sound (at least here in the UK) in the LCI. I won't be changing mine until my hand is forced, at which point I really hope "iD9" improves upon things.
Appreciate 1
Ikester192124.00
      03-04-2023, 07:46 AM   #43
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

So is nobody allowed to like idrive 8? So it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I get that. That’s all that needed to be said to OP here. Drive with each for yourself and see how they like it. They are both different and subjective, and it would be best to try out both before making a decision.

That’s my advice to OP. Who cares what it looks like in pictures or what others who may or may not have driven with either or both. Get in the car, and test drive them out. Why this isn’t the default answer to these things is crazy.

The person above me did that and didn’t like idrive 8, and that’s okay. I did that as well and liked idrive 8, and that’s okay. That proves the subjectivity part of this and there is no point in further talking about it when all you can do is try it out for yourself and make that decision for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 10:24 AM   #44
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
The only reason being you bought the last pre-LCI 3 series, so you're lying to yourself to feel better about that. Haters of idrive 8 are all in the same boat.

I don't believe anyone who experienced both and with functioning eyes would like our dark speedometer and our smaller and darker and less customizable and choppier middle screen better.

idrive 8 is objectively and quantifiably MUCH better than idrive 7.
Ummmm... not really. iDrive 8 is "better", but change for the sake of change is not necessarily a good thing. Any time I see an upgrade in tech, my first question is "Does the increase in complexity and learning curve yield a tangible benefit to users?"

I've used iD6, 7 and 8, and being completely objective, I like iDrive 7 the best.

iDrive 6 is organized somewhat strangely, so it's difficult to find certain items. iDrive 8 is far more colorful and visual, but it's a bit slow and clunky for my liking. iDrive 7 strikes a balance with simplicity, usability, and is still somewhat visual. Also, I've found iDrive 7 to be supremely quick and easy to navigate. It just works. The other fumble with iDrive 8 is that it buries so many items that you access on a regular basis in menus... that's not good design. This is a BMW. You want access to disable TCS with a single button press. AC controls should be physical and tactile. For some reason, these items have been moved to the screen, and I hate that.

Hopefully iDrive 9 will get rid of some of the clutter of iDrive 8 and bring us back to ease of use.
peelerec987.50