Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Pre LCI vs LCI M340i questions

03-26-2023, 02:11 PM   #89
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by humisfum View Post
Wait iDrive 9 is available already??
This article says iDrive 9 will be rolled out on newer models with updated heat units:

"As for the new iDrive 9, that will begin rolling out on newer cars, which will use a newer Android-based operating system. However, its user interface will be nearly identical, save for a few small new features that are only available with the Android OS. The first cars to received iDrive 9 will be the Mini Countryman and BMW X1/X2. Then, all Neue Klasse models will be iDrive 9-based as well."

https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/03/08/b...ve-8-5-update/
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 02:23 PM   #90
RLL RACER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWM8TurnerM6(2)M3's(1)Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Are u saying 2025 G20 will not get the dual displays? Will the analog gauges be offered again?
Yes they will be designed by Patek Philippe. In the old world style train watch style gauges..
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2023, 02:26 PM   #91
dhock_holiday
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLL RACER View Post
The LCI Car and its after thought messy touch screen, should have never been approved. I tried i drive 9 and its adds more frustration and ugly interior looks to a great looking G20 body design. The good news is bmw is going back to pre lci looks in 2025. I applaud that!
Wait really?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 02:27 PM   #92
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLL RACER View Post
Yes they will be designed by Patek Philippe. In the old world style train watch style gauges..
Wow that will be very interesting. My G20 330i does not even have digital display, so it still has the last gen of analog gauges, which look really cool to me.

I am looking forward to see the new gen of gauges!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 02:43 PM   #93
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yes, it was removed from the G20 from the very beginning. One of the nice things about the wheel adjustment was that if you were running the heat, you could have cooler air from the upper vents and warmer air from the floor vents and you could easily adjust the upper vent temperature. Saying “hey BMW” won’t do that.
Needed to have a little cooler air up top yesterday. Had to wait until I was stopped at a traffic light to make the adjustment.
Attached Images

member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-26-2023, 03:55 PM   #94
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
This article says iDrive 9 will be rolled out on newer models with updated heat units:

"As for the new iDrive 9, that will begin rolling out on newer cars, which will use a newer Android-based operating system. However, its user interface will be nearly identical, save for a few small new features that are only available with the Android OS. The first cars to received iDrive 9 will be the Mini Countryman and BMW X1/X2. Then, all Neue Klasse models will be iDrive 9-based as well."

https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/03/08/b...ve-8-5-update/
But not G2x
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 12:23 AM   #95
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
But not G2x
G20 will have an unusually long 9-year product cycle vs. the normal 7-year, it may be possible that BMWAG will roll out iDrive9 to G20 as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 09:48 AM   #96
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
just came back from hooning around in the M340i.

making machine gun bangs with the exhaust while driving, and making obnoxious fart noises when stationary.

sorry i don't think you could do that with your 2022 ;p
not everyone wants that fake obnoxious boy-racer stuff, for a lot of us it's a feature not a bug that BMW dropped that crap with the later model years
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 10:05 AM   #97
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Needed to have a little cooler air up top yesterday. Had to wait until I was stopped at a traffic light to make the adjustment.
I’ve never adjusted that dial as when I do use the auto hvac system, I’ll just lower the temperature if needed too.
I recall years ago hopping into a friends 328i and asking what the heck that physical adjustment knob function was
      03-27-2023, 11:41 AM   #98
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy89 View Post
Same here, this is the first LCI I really haven’t cared much about. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think its bad in any way but it’s just not my preference. Also the notches in the headlights are hommage to the E46 which I always liked.
Noway. I have just seen LCI M340i. It looks like class better and much expensive car compared to my pre-LCI model. The difference is huge. Pre-LCI M340i looks like normal boring sedan while LCI model looks more sporty and expensive. Please get LCI
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 11:47 AM   #99
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz555 View Post
Noway. I have just seen LCI M340i. It looks like class better and much expensive car compared to my pre-LCI model. The difference is huge. Pre-LCI M340i looks like normal boring sedan while LCI model looks more sporty and expensive. Please get LCI
What do u find more sporty and expensive in LCI model? Is it the dual displays?

To me LCI looks less edgy than pre-LCI, e.g. the front bumper no longer has the notch extended into the headlight, but I haven't paid enough attention to the rest of the car to see if LCI has better/more expensive features than pre-LCI.
Appreciate 1
oz555672.00
      03-27-2023, 11:57 AM   #100
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:

To me LCI looks less edgy than pre-LCI, e.g. the front bumper no longer has the notch extended into the headlight, but I haven't paid enough attention to the rest of the car to see if LCI has better/more expensive features than pre-LCI.
I agree. I don't mind the LCI but nothing about it seems more sporty or expensive looking. There's a dravit grey LCI and Pre-LCI in my parking lot at work (they always park close to each other) and I honestly like both. The LCI headlight look nice and the grill looks better to me somehow, but the Pre-LCI front looks more aggressive. Side profile looks the same. The rear looks way better on the Pre-LCI in my opinion. Again, more aggressive and I like the horizontal reflector lights vs the vertical ones.

They both look great though.
      03-27-2023, 12:07 PM   #101
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

He must like lots of black plastic everywhere.

03-27-2023, 12:20 PM   #102
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
I’ve never adjusted that dial as when I do use the auto hvac system, I’ll just lower the temperature if needed too.
I recall years ago hopping into a friends 328i and asking what the heck that physical adjustment knob function was
That doesn’t accomplish the same thing. I wanted it to stay warmer at the floor and cooler out of the dashboard vents. I don’t use the automatic temperature setting. I haven’t used it in any of my 3ers and I doubt I ever will. I’ve never found one that performed adequately. I’ve said this before. The conditions inside a car are too variable. On sunny days or at certain times of the day there is a lot of sun coming in that changes the need for hvac and other times it’s cloudy and the need for hvac is different then. I have yet to find a system that responds in a timely manner.

The other day it was still chilly in Chicago and I wanted the car warm overall, but it was very sunny and up top I needed some cooler output. I used the physical temperature wheel adjustment frequently in all my previous 3ers and it was super easy to do.

03-27-2023, 12:22 PM   #103
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
That doesn’t accomplish the same thing. I wanted it to stay warmer at the floor and cooler out of the dashboard vents. I don’t use the automatic temperature setting. I haven’t used it in any of my 3ers and I doubt I ever will. I’ve never found one that performed adequately. I’ve said this before. The conditions inside a car are too variable. On sunny days or at certain times of the day there is a lot of sun coming in that changes the need for hvac and other times it’s cloudy and the need for hvac is different then. I have yet to find a system that responds in a timely manner.

The other day it was still chilly in Chicago and I wanted the car warm overall, but it was very sunny and up top I needed some cooler output. I used the physical temperature wheel adjustment frequently in all my previous 3ers.
Good to know the intention behind that feature.
In California, we don’t really need to worry so much about that. Either it’s hot, or it’s chilly.
      03-27-2023, 05:53 PM   #104
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:

The other day it was still chilly in Chicago and I wanted the car warm overall, but it was very sunny and up top I needed some cooler output. I used the physical temperature wheel adjustment frequently in all my previous 3ers and it was super easy to do.
Yeah I used it so much. In my current Volvo I absolutely despise that everything is on the screen and the voice commands are truly horrible. If I say turn on fan it’ll just tell me the fans off. I miss just leaving the same temp on year long and if it ever got too hot from sun shine I could quickly change it to blue and still have the cabin warm. Assuming you can make a shortcut to the page with the dial I think you can still make muscle memory of pushing the controller up and going to your first shortcut and changing the setting.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 05:59 PM   #105
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I used it so much. In my current Volvo I absolutely despise that everything is on the screen and the voice commands are truly horrible. If I say turn on fan it’ll just tell me the fans off. I miss just leaving the same temp on year long and if it ever got too hot from sun shine I could quickly change it to blue and still have the cabin warm. Assuming you can make a shortcut to the page with the dial I think you can still make muscle memory of pushing the controller up and going to your first shortcut and changing the setting.
I tried to make a shortcut and it wouldn’t do it.

03-27-2023, 06:06 PM   #106
humisfum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
I tried to make a shortcut and it wouldn’t do it.
Sorry just to probe that more since my car is still in production.. you can’t make a shortcut to a specific setting like make it very hot? Or can it not even make a shortcut to the page that has the setting?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 06:15 PM   #107
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry just to probe that more since my car is still in production.. you can’t make a shortcut to a specific setting like make it very hot? Or can it not even make a shortcut to the page that has the setting?
I couldn’t get it to make a shortcut to the page/screen where the adjustment is made. I was surprised, because I thought you could make a shortcut straight to anything.

03-27-2023, 07:49 PM   #108
Entropy89
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Garage List
Quote:
I have to disagree…but its all subjective and as I already mentioned: I don’t think the LCI is bad in any way, its just not my preference. If I were purchasing an M340 now, and only the 23MY was available then I would think it is great. But I have a 2022 and love it, and really don’t think I’m missing anything with the LCI.

2018 F30 330ix - no more.

2005 E46 325xi - I want this car back.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 09:38 PM   #109
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Good to know the intention behind that feature.
In California, we don’t really need to worry so much about that. Either it’s hot, or it’s chilly.
That’s not the only reason why you’d need to adjust. I use it all the time right after I come out of the gym all sweaty. Nice to adjust without touching the set temperature for the cabin. I miss the physical wheel so much coming from E90.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2023, 09:56 PM   #110
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
I agree that pre-LCI looks boring now.
The G20 was never on my radar until the LCI.
The pre-LCI front end so so nondescript right now. Almost every VW headlight DRL design looks like the pre-LCI headlights. And the Civic headlights also kinda look similar with the eyelash turn signals.
In the dark in your rear view mirror, it would be harder to pick out the pre-LCI G20 at the moment.
For now, the LCI headlights look unique, until someone else copies it!
I also like the newer front bumper and the rear diffuser. The vertical reflectors on the back look sportier.
As for the inside, I like the curve display. But also wish they had at least kept the HVAC hard buttons. However saying that, automatic climate control is so good that even in winter I only go back and forth from 17 to 18 Celcius.
The only real thing that bugs me is the 2 blank buttons on the left side of the dash where all the lighting controls are. I assume one is for the front dogs lamps and the other for the rear. Would have been great if they occupied it with some Driving Assistance features like Lane Keep Assist and something else!
Appreciate 1
oz555672.00