Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Five Stars For G20 3 Series in Euro NCAP Crash Testing

11-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Five Stars For G20 3 Series in Euro NCAP Crash Testing

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Five Stars For G20 3 Series in Euro NCAP Crash Testing
COMMENTS

Latest generation of the BMW 3 Series is awarded the highest rating in the European consumer protection tests and scores the best result for adult occupant protection achieved by a midsize car since the current test format was introduced.

November 7, 2019

Munich.
The new BMW 3 Series sets new standards for driving dynamics, aesthetic appeal and advanced technology in the areas of control/operation, driver assistance and connectivity. And the new BMW 3 Series Sedan and BMW 3 Series Touring also lead the way in their class when it comes to safety. The latest-generation 3 Series has been awarded the maximum five-star rating in the recent round of Euro NCAP (New Car Assessment Programme) crash testing. Added to which, it emerged with the best ever result for adult occupant protection achieved by a “large family car” (midsize model) since the introduction of the current, extremely demanding Euro NCAP test format. The BMW 3 Series also recorded excellent results for child occupant protection, “Vulnerable Road User” (e.g. pedestrian) protection and standard safety equipment.

A five-star rating in Euro NCAP crash testing represents a glowing endorsement of the effectiveness of a vehicle’s integrated safety concept, which – in the new BMW 3 Series, as in other models – encompasses both the body structure and the restraint systems. Supporting structures with a weight-optimised design and a high load-bearing capacity combine with precisely engineered deformation paths in the new 3 Series to provide the ideal basis for preserving the passenger cell’s rigidity in various types of collision – i.e. for keeping the occupants’ survival space intact. In Euro NCAP testing, the aluminium/high-strength steel safety passenger cell of the new BMW 3 Series proved to be extremely robust – both in the frontal and side collisions and the side pole impact. In a frontal collision, the forces acting on the vehicle are diverted via multiple load paths in the floor assembly, side frame, bulkhead and roof, and absorbed by large deformation zones. Reinforced side structures in the B-pillars and side sill areas, high-strength side impact members in the doors and sturdy seat cross-members protect the occupants in the event of a side-on collision. The seats and head restraints have been specially designed to minimise the risk of whiplash injuries resulting from a collision against the rear of the vehicle. Strengthened pillars and roof members ensure that the passenger cell retains its rigidity if the car rolls over.

Central safety electronics control the functioning of the various restraint systems fitted in the new BMW 3 Series. This means the three-point inertia-reel seatbelts on all seats deploy as part of a precisely coordinated response with the front, side and head airbags – according to the type of impact and its severity. The testers’ evaluation of the crash test results revealed that the new BMW 3 Series offers exceptionally high levels of protection for adult occupants, with an almost perfect score of 97 per cent. They are therefore protected from injury to an outstanding degree, regardless of their height or the seat’s position.

The levels of safety for children also impressed the test team. ISOFIX child seat attachments for the outer seats in the rear of the new BMW 3 Series make this an extremely safe place for children to travel. With the relevant seat systems fitted for six- and ten-year-old passengers respectively, the readings showed the test dummies were exposed to extremely modest loads in both the frontal and side crashes. The new 3 Series scored 23.8 out of a maximum 24 points for this criterion.

Evaluating the protective measures for vulnerable road users (such as pedestrians and cyclists), also forms part of Euro NCAP crash testing. The new BMW 3 Series reduces the risk of injury to these groups with carefully contoured body elements and flexible structures around its front end. It also has an active bonnet, whose pyrotechnic release mechanism is triggered as soon as the sensor data indicates a relevant type of collision. This raises the bonnet, creating a deformation zone that prevents direct impact with unyielding components in the engine compartment.

The extensive active safety features fitted as standard on the new BMW 3 Series are another factor in its five-star rating. The collision and pedestrian warning with braking function managed to safely avert a collision in all test scenarios, earning it maximum points in the assessment. This technology forms part of the standard Active Guard system that also comprises Lane Departure Warning with lane return and the Speed Limit Display road sign detection system with no-overtaking indicator. Standard specification for the 3 Series also includes DSC (Dynamic Stability Control), a tyre pressure indicator showing the pressures for each wheel, the Attentiveness Assistant and intelligent emergency call with BMW Accident Assistance.

Name:  P90375239_highRes_the-bmw-3-series-sed.jpg
Views: 6493
Size:  554.8 KB

Name:  P90375245_highRes_the-bmw-3-series-sed.jpg
Views: 6632
Size:  555.5 KB

Name:  P90375244_highRes_the-bmw-3-series-sed.jpg
Views: 6568
Size:  568.3 KB

Name:  P90375243_highRes_the-bmw-3-series-sed.jpg
Views: 6503
Size:  570.4 KB

Name:  P90375242_highRes_the-bmw-3-series-sed.jpg
Views: 6406
Size:  568.2 KB

Name:  P90375241_highRes_the-bmw-3-series-sed.jpg
Views: 6406
Size:  588.0 KB

Name:  P90375240_highRes_the-bmw-3-series-sed.jpg
Views: 6430
Size:  555.4 KB

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 7
hubbahubba8710.00
clee1982796.00
A6bullet336.00
Jadar1750.50
      11-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
They keep getting safer and safer...
      11-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16F80,TR6,Defender,PA23-250T

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Despite working on lowering weight, BMW have succeeded in increasing safety as well. This is big news for me. It could sway me to upgrade to the new M3 when it appears!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Ahhhhh but Bimmers are getting heavier on each generation! Well here is the reason why...

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Ahhhhh but Bimmers are getting heavier on each generation! Well here is the reason why...
It's official, the 3 series is a midsize sedan.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:43 PM   #6
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

The new BMW 3 Series sets new standards for driving dynamics, aesthetic appeal and advanced technology in the areas of control/operation, driver assistance and connectivity.
Sorry, but not really.
That's a very subjective thing...
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
F32Fleet3539.50
      11-12-2019, 11:00 PM   #7
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Quote:

The new BMW 3 Series sets new standards for driving dynamics, aesthetic appeal and advanced technology in the areas of control/operation, driver assistance and connectivity.
Sorry, but not really.
Moan, moan, moan, thats all people do these days. Especially you old people. If all you're going to do is sit around and moan, they should take your teeth away!
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2019, 11:08 PM   #8
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, but not really.
Moan, moan, moan, thats all people do these days. Especially you old people. If all you're going to do is sit around and moan, they should take your teeth away!
Did you just graduate high school and were gifted a bmw by your affluent parents?

Be respectful to forum members, and learn some manners

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 11:32 PM   #9
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, but not really.
Did you just graduate high school and were gifted a bmw by your affluent parents?

Be respectful to forum members, and learn some manners
I was teasing them. I gather you didn't recognize the quote was copied directly from Monty Python's Life of Brian.... all in jest, all in jest.
One for you too, you lucky bugger!

Always look on the bright side of life.

I mean, whatve you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you've gone back to nothing. Whatve you lost? Nothing! Nothing will come from nothing, you know what they say? Cheer up, you old bugger. Come on, give us a grin. There ya are. See? Its nearly the end of the record.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:18 AM   #10
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Impressive!! Though the pole in the side still leaves some serious damage!
      11-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #11
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, but not really.
Put another way, it handles well, looks pretty good, and happens to be one of the safest cars available. Let's not forget that it's also impressively fuel efficient relative to performance across the model line. It seems that the g20 is a complete package that does everything well.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      11-13-2019, 07:53 AM   #12
bimmerdreng
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i e46

1 Series not so good

Sad the same can be said for the new 1 series and problably also the new 2 Gran Coupe.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/bmw/1-series/38528

It do get 5 stars but frontal full width a worse score than Skoda Scala and Ford Focus..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #13
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

All cars today are about equally as safe. It's not a bmw specific thing or a bmw engineering thing. all the manufacturers pretty much figured out the different grades of UHSS to use, where to use it, how much to use, how to layer it, how to integrate it etc. If you're being technical, the Teslas still perform a bit better on the whole in terms of body strength because since there's no engine they can better use the entire front space for crash energy management. also the lower sill is stiff due to the battery being down there including the block off plate and no trans tunnel. engines/transmission tunnels etc just make cars inherently less safe due to the limitations they place. overall though most cars today will perform just about as well as this 3 series did. nothing groundbreaking. the ground breaking stuff will come in terms of crash avoidance. that's where tech is developing.
      11-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #14
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
"A man's manners are a mirror in which he shows his portrait"
Goethe
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #15
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Put another way, it handles well, looks pretty good, and happens to be one of the safest cars available. Let's not forget that it's also impressively fuel efficient relative to performance across the model line. It seems that the g20 is a complete package that does everything well.
To make such claim, you must have some awards and a overwhelming collective agreement and the new 3 Series is far from that...
The design lacks originality and excitement, but looks decent and with some work can look ok. But very far from "setting new standards".
I get your point and while I do not consider this car to be a looker at all, I was saying that that is a very subjective thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 12:27 PM   #16
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

good to know, but this thing is super bulky! Kind of defeats the purpose of having a sports sedan.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #18
musicteacher
Private