Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Need advice on deciding tire type for M340i

07-25-2021, 05:09 AM   #1
nullptr_001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m340i

Need advice on deciding tire type for M340i

Hi!
I'm leasing my first bmw and I've been reading all the threads about the wheel debate but am still hesitating to make a decision, so would really appreciate your advice here!
Context:
1. I live in the bay area so there is no snow in daily driving, but I do expect to drive in snow occasionally (less than 10 days in a year) when go skiing.
2. The car is mainly for daily commute (about 50% highway) and I won't drive aggressively.

I'm trying to make a decision between 19" all-season run-flat (225 square setup) and 19" performance run-flat (staggered setup, 225 front, 255 rear).
1. How much difference in performance and comfort in daily driving should I expect for choosing all-season tire against performance tire?
2. How much extra cost should I expect for choosing performance tire against all-season tire? I have a 30000-mile lease term. The posts in the forum seem to have a variety of opinions on tire life expectancy, so my specific questions are
- With a 30000 mi lease term, should I expect to replace the tire at least once if I choose all-season tire?
- How many times of replacement should I expect for performance tires? Given that I cannot rotate the tire due to staggered setup and performance tires wear out faster, I expect the tire should be replaced at least once, but I've seen posts in the forum saying the performance tire didn't even make 10000 mi, which will be 3 replacement for me.
- How much total extra cost should I expect for choosing performance tires? This is my first car in USA so I'm actually not familiar with the prices. The tire price I searched online is about $150 each, but I think I should also take installation fee into account.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #2
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Many folks are looking for max performance, but it sounds like you are looking for a more middle ground solution. BMW ride usually improves when you opt for go-flat performance tires, but it’s offset by the high inflation pressures with performance tires. You need to decide whether you want to prioritize a smooth ride, high performance, or the relative convenience of run-flats.
- Most conservative/basic solution: 18” all square setup season run-flats. Some ride degradation due to run-flats, good traction in dry and wet, acceptable performance. You should never need to change a flat tire in normal commuting (just drive it to the dealer) and will probably turn in your car with mileage left on the tires.
- Middle ground - 19” run-flats with all season or summer tires. The biggest reason to move to this choice is that the wheel options are better, and you might also want to be able to get away from all season tires. It may ride a little rougher than the 18’s.
For factory upgrades you could improve the ride by switching to go-flat tires and a spare, or order the higher performance tire package with the tire emergency inflation kit. However, it sounds like you don’t really need or want that improvement.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #3
nullptr_001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
Many folks are looking for max performance, but it sounds like you are looking for a more middle ground solution. BMW ride usually improves when you opt for go-flat performance tires, but it’s offset by the high inflation pressures with performance tires. You need to decide whether you want to prioritize a smooth ride, high performance, or the relative convenience of run-flats.
- Most conservative/basic solution: 18” all square setup season run-flats. Some ride degradation due to run-flats, good traction in dry and wet, acceptable performance. You should never need to change a flat tire in normal commuting (just drive it to the dealer) and will probably turn in your car with mileage left on the tires.
- Middle ground - 19” run-flats with all season or summer tires. The biggest reason to move to this choice is that the wheel options are better, and you might also want to be able to get away from all season tires. It may ride a little rougher than the 18’s.
For factory upgrades you could improve the ride by switching to go-flat tires and a spare, or order the higher performance tire package with the tire emergency inflation kit. However, it sounds like you don’t really need or want that improvement.

Thanks for your advice, Bc2005! I chose to go with 19” run-flats with summer tire, can't wait to see the car!
Appreciate 0