Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Considering an M340i as my first BMW

06-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #1
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Considering an M340i as my first BMW

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey all,

New to this forum AND BMW in general - I'm seriously considering an M340i. My local dealer is taking orders for the 2021MY and I’m really tempted to try BMW. I know asking a BMW forum is going to include some bias, and I know this gen is new-ish, but can anyone offer their opinion if this would be a smart buy for my situation?

I’m looking to buy not lease.. Because I want to customize, mod and tune as I do all my vehicles. I plan on keeping my next car for 5 to 8 years and put on probably 100k miles through ownership. I take excellent care of my vehicles using top tier gas and synthetic oils, change oil well before the ridiculous 10k recommendation, not revving until warm, etc etc etc. if treated properly, can you expect to get good life out of these cars? Or should I expect to get comfortable with my dealer? I hear from many to only lease a BMW, but I’m hoping someone here can confirm if leasing is the only smart way to get a brand new BMW or if that’s just BS.

Any conversation is greatly appreciated. I don’t have a lot of car people in my network unfortunately and would like to hear your opinions. I’m also considering the Cadillac CT5-V and AMG c43. I test drove the M340i and had a smile on my face the whole ride which is why this is my top choice right now.
Appreciate 2
KoenG1428.50
hans007604.50
      06-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Congratulations on finding us, and good luck with your choice!

If you are attracted to BMW due to it's reputation as "the Ultimate Driving Machine", there are two BMWs sold now which exemplify this philosophy best. The M340i is one of them, and the M2 is the other.

Reliability and BMW are often said to be incompatible, but I have found that it just requires a new attitude towards reliability. A BMW is meant to be maintained precisely according to the guidelines set forth by BMW and the community. When this is followed, the car is reliable. Often, the community errs more on the side of caution than BMW does. Expect to spend more on maintaining a German car than a Japanese one.

It would be helpful for us to understand what your car history has been to set the appropriate expectations. BMW has been driving more and more buyers to lease rather than buy due to concerns of the car failing out of warranty. I am one of the few who chose to finance and keep for 10 years/100k+ miles because I'm a firm believer in building a lasting relationship with my ride.

If you can do your own work, your ownership experience will be less expensive. Parts aren't insane, labor is where the big costs come from. Historically, BMWs are easy to work on and maintain, but I haven't that experience with the M340i yet. I had two used BMWs, one CPO, prior to this one, and my greatest expense was tires on the last one, and a few more items on the first.

As to the car... I absolutely love mine! The car is fast, comfortable, relatively good looking (others here may patently disagree!), relatively spacious with good cargo room and suprisingly good gas mileage. The limited slip differential is a wake-up call to just how necessary this is for amazing cornering and enjoyment, the car grips endlessly. The tech is excellent if a bit heavy-handed sometimes. Overall though, it's an excellent blend of the needs of now and the glories of the past.

I don't have experience with the new Cadillac, so I cannot help there. The old CTS and ATS were very fun cars to drive but lacking in overall fit and finish. You will need to make your own opinion on that. The C43 was very, very tempting. Ultimately though, it was either too sporty and stiff or too squidgy and loose depending on drive mode. The M340i felt like Goldilocks to me!
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201842.50
      06-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
It would be helpful for us to understand what your car history has been to set the appropriate expectations. BMW has been driving more and more buyers to lease rather than buy due to concerns of the car failing out of warranty. I am one of the few who chose to finance and keep for 10 years/100k+ miles because I'm a firm believer in building a lasting relationship with my ride.

If you can do your own work, your ownership experience will be less expensive. Parts aren't insane, labor is where the big costs come from. Historically, BMWs are easy to work on and maintain, but I haven't that experience with the M340i yet. I had two used BMWs, one CPO, prior to this one, and my greatest expense was tires on the last one, and a few more items on the first.
Thanks for the info. My current car is a '12 Cruze, 130k miles. I did about 90% of all maintenance and preventative maintenance myself, only thing that went bad was a cooler hose and temp sensor. Are you considering an extended warranty?

Looking through the forums I see only a couple complaints like wind noise issue and sunroof vibration issue. Hopefully these get addressed for the 21s :P
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

M340i is probably THE bmw to get these days. All tests and testimonials are raving!

Personally, I wouldn't tune it and hope that it could satisfy without it especially when you plan to keep it longer. I presume that the goodwill of BMW in helping you out, in case it would be needed, will evaporate disproportionally with the mods you do on it.
Appreciate 1
sikotic488.00
      06-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Welcome to the forums. G20 or C43 are both solid choices, I have a good amount of experience with both cars and brands and you can't go wrong with either vehicle, in the end of course it will come down to personal preference. Have yet to drive a CT5-V, but I've driven the prior generations and while very competant they always lacked in the everyday features and interior quality, both of which I'm sure have improved in the new cars, but aren't likely to be as good as the Germans.

I think your situation will be fine, as these cars typically will do well if taken care of - and it sounds like you already know that and know how to do maintenance - and you will always have the option later down the line of an extended warranty if you feel its necessary, but I think the G20 or C43 should do well for 100k miles.

Good luck with your choice
      06-16-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
mhkorean
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i

I was deciding between the C43 and M340i and decided to go with the M340i. The tech is much more recent in the M340i. The C43 is getting a refresh next year so the interior of the C43 has been the same for the past 3-ish years.

Also the M340i "feels" much faster. Although official numbers indicate it isn't. If you do end up getting the M340i. Make sure you get the M Performance Exhaust. Thing is amazinggggg.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Thanks for the info. My current car is a '12 Cruze, 130k miles. I did about 90% of all maintenance and preventative maintenance myself, only thing that went bad was a cooler hose and temp sensor. Are you considering an extended warranty?

Looking through the forums I see only a couple complaints like wind noise issue and sunroof vibration issue. Hopefully these get addressed for the 21s :P
No rattles, tight as a drum on my car.

To give you some perspective on life outside of warranty, I ran one BMW to 115,000 from 60,000 miles, and one from 35,000 to 100,000. The biggest headaches I experienced were cooling system failures and suspension refreshes at high mileage. Being able to wrench is an instant plus with these cars!

I've never had an extended warranty, and generally would only consider it on serious M cars, like the M3 or M5. As long as you're willing to do most work and rely on a trusted independent mechanic for the items you can't handle, I think you'll be fine for the longterm. As others have said, you can always get an extended warranty if needed.

You should also know that the M340i uses the BMW B58 straight-six engine. To see what is possible from a tuning perspective I would familiarize yourself with the F30 forum as the 340i from that generation (2016 to 2018 I believe) used an earlier version of that engine.

Personally, I don't feel that the car needs to be tuned, but then I'm not yet used to it yet Coming from a Cruze, I'm thinking you're going to be pleasantly surprised what this car can do!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:45 PM   #8
cisternachyli
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
M340i is probably THE bmw to get these days. All tests and testimonials are raving!

Personally, I wouldn't tune it and hope that it could satisfy without it especially when you plan to keep it longer. I presume that the goodwill of BMW in helping you out, in case it would be needed, will evaporate disproportionally with the mods you do on it.
I agree! I'm in the same boat as the OP...deciding on the M340i, CT5V, Audi S5 Sportback and C43 AMG as my next car. I drove a 2020 Sunset Orange M340i the other day. Car totally knocked my socks off! I haven't' driven the others yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #9
cisternachyli
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura TLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkorean View Post
I was deciding between the C43 and M340i and decided to go with the M340i. The tech is much more recent in the M340i. The C43 is getting a refresh next year so the interior of the C43 has been the same for the past 3-ish years.

Also the M340i "feels" much faster. Although official numbers indicate it isn't. If you do end up getting the M340i. Make sure you get the M Performance Exhaust. Thing is amazinggggg.
The redesign for the C class appears to be for the 2022 model year for the US at least. The rumor is that the twin-turbo V6 will go away for the C43 and instead will be replaced by the 4 banger that's in the A35/CLA35 AMG. The only thing that bothers me about the new 3 is the interior; a little too much plastic for my taste, even compared to my parent's 2020 X5.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:14 PM   #10
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

As a fellow newbie... I too am shopping the same segment except looking at the G22 instead of the four door. The CT5-V was my initial thought as I have traditionally bought domestic cars. I’m familiar with the German cars though because my wife has leased or owned a couple 5-Series cars and an Audi A6. I’ve always liked the 3-Series models. The thing that stands out to me is the interior of the BMW. I really like the interior, especially the dash and console layout.

Can’t compare the Mercedes as I just have to considered them. The CT5-V is a nice car and has comparable power to the BMW, but I decided the Caddy interior and technology just don’t measure up to the BMW.

The warranty and maintenance costs might be better for the Caddy, but you sound pretty capable of doing some maintenance yourself.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy whichever vehicle you choose.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201842.50
      06-17-2020, 05:02 AM   #11
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I have an m340i. The b58 from all I've read is a pretty reliable engine. If you are to believe toyota with the supra even they say it was made to be reliable.

BMWs especially modern ones I really don't think are that unreliable, we're not talking E60 V8s or something these days.

I'm planning to keep my car as well for 5-6 years (unless I somehow fall into brand new 911 money, I figure this is my last fully gasoline car...) and I have no worries about maintaining it. I had a F30 328i a few years back and didn't need anything but normal covered maintenance when I had it and I had it for 4.5 years. I didn't anticipate that costing much more for say another 5 years.

I also technically own a 04 X3 that my mother sometimes drives (had to get the loyalty cash..). Its got a bmw m54 inline-6 with 180k miles on it.... Being my mother has maintained it meticulously for 16 years the only thing that ever has been even a tiny issue was the AC compressor had to be replaced, and that happens in lots of car that age. So yeah , take care of your car, actually maintain it unlike all the poors who buy used bmws never maintain them and then complain about them breaking and it'll be a good purchase.

As for the C43.... I test drove that and the C450 a few years back. Its a good car too, but that v6 is old ... some say based on the mercedes/chrysler years and they are replacing it with the m256 inline 6 in other mercs. I wouldn't want to buy a C43 now, with it being in basically its last year with all the old stuff in it, even if it is a good car.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #12
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
I have an m340i. The b58 from all I've read is a pretty reliable engine. If you are to believe toyota with the supra even they say it was made to be reliable.

BMWs especially modern ones I really don't think are that unreliable, we're not talking E60 V8s or something these days.

I'm planning to keep my car as well for 5-6 years (unless I somehow fall into brand new 911 money, I figure this is my last fully gasoline car...) and I have no worries about maintaining it. I had a F30 328i a few years back and didn't need anything but normal covered maintenance when I had it and I had it for 4.5 years. I didn't anticipate that costing much more for say another 5 years.

I also technically own a 04 X3 that my mother sometimes drives (had to get the loyalty cash..). Its got a bmw m54 inline-6 with 180k miles on it.... Being my mother has maintained it meticulously for 16 years the only thing that ever has been even a tiny issue was the AC compressor had to be replaced, and that happens in lots of car that age. So yeah , take care of your car, actually maintain it unlike all the poors who buy used bmws never maintain them and then complain about them breaking and it'll be a good purchase.

As for the C43.... I test drove that and the C450 a few years back. Its a good car too, but that v6 is old ... some say based on the mercedes/chrysler years and they are replacing it with the m256 inline 6 in other mercs. I wouldn't want to buy a C43 now, with it being in basically its last year with all the old stuff in it, even if it is a good car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post

I have a 04 x5 now with a 180k also. My AC compressor is working fine but I just had brake line replaced and just ordered a abs module. Love the truck, its a tank and also have a 14 X5 and a 09 750li that is giving me hell. Can't wait to purchase a M340i later in the year once I unload my 7.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #13
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the replies, I feel much more confident with making a decision. Narrowed it down btwn the Caddy and the M340xi. Will be test driving both again in the next week or two so hopefully I'll be able to make up my damn mind.

On a side note, it looks like this car can do 0-60 in considerably less than 4.1 seconds so that may help the decision making process
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #14
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Excellent choice TJZ. BMW has perfected their inline 6 motor, and the M340i w/ turbo is no exception. You are basically getting the product of 30+ years of engineering detail in that car. Honestly, I think reliability issues are not that much of a concern, I mean, don't expect it to be a Toyota, but if you take care of it, it will definitely take care of you. I think that reliability is actually better than it has ever been for the brand. The first 50k are in fact guaranteed under warranty, and you can extend that as well. I have found it to generally not be necessary however, especially for a careful owner of your type. Landslide victory over the Caddy, the proof will be every single time you fire up the car. My only 2 cents would be the facelift mid cycle refresh would generally be preferred, but in your situation sounds like it is too far out, the '21 at least has a benefit of a year in production. Although I have the F30, can personally attest from loaners that the driving dynamics of the G20 are absolute top notch, as I am sure you experienced. They really did a great job with that car.
      06-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #15
Flashstar
Brand New
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Safe and high driving on your German girl.