Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Brakes clamping on too strongly

04-28-2024, 11:44 AM   #1
supest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i

Brakes clamping on too strongly

I've noticed that my car (M340i) seems to clamp on the brakes a bit too strongly than my previous G30. I first thought it was to do with the brakes being run in, but the effect hasn't really gone away after c. 3k miles.

I do tend to brake a bit late but I've never had the same feeling in the 5 series. It feels that the car begins slowing down and then suddenly clamps down hard/subtly jerks to the point where I have to start letting go of the pedal quickly to avoid being a nuisance for the drivers behind me. Could it be a 3 vs. 5 thing or the difference in the size of the callipers?

I've been meaning to speak to the dealership but I suspect they're just going to say it is within normal operating parameters, so would appreciate if others could chime in!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 12:22 PM   #2
darthry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

So, I don’t own an M340i yet (still on order)… others would need to chime in with more experience.

But when I first test drove a car in comfort, I noticed that once the engine cut off at low speeds while braking, the brakes would bite down hard and fast. Made braking smoothly challenging.
When I entered sport mode, it was still a solid grab, but since the engine didn’t cut out it didn’t feel as jarring.

There are a couple threads here about the brakes being “grabby” and many think it related to the auto start stop; if you search you may find some more information.
I’m a bit worried about this, but not sure if it’s enough to deter me from buying the car. I’m hoping I can adapt my driving style (and keep in sport/sport individual to keep the engine on) and make it smooth braking process.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 12:43 PM   #3
Ramses
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

I have a 2021 (CPO) m340i with the MSport brakes and they are indeed very sensitive and “grabby”, especially at low speeds. Definitely seems worse with the ASS function, but I felt that was a function of the engine cutting off prior to a full stop. I drive exclusively in Sport mode, and have become accustomed to the brakes after a few months of ownership. I believe it’s normal for the regenerative brakes, especially with large, multi piston calipers.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 01:09 PM   #4
sjb993
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i XDrive MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramses View Post
I have a 2021 (CPO) m340i with the MSport brakes and they are indeed very sensitive and “grabby”, especially at low speeds. Definitely seems worse with the ASS function, but I felt that was a function of the engine cutting off prior to a full stop. I drive exclusively in Sport mode, and have become accustomed to the brakes after a few months of ownership. I believe it’s normal for the regenerative brakes, especially with large, multi piston calipers.
When you mention regenerative braking, I assume you're not referring to your M340i MHT, which doesn't have it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 01:54 PM   #5
Ramses
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

I was speaking of BMW regenerative brakes in general. I should have been more specific.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 03:12 PM   #6
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

The brakes are pretty strong and sensitive, but I haven’t really had an issue with them once I got used to the pedal feel. Mine feel quite evenly progressive, no sudden grabbing like you describe. If im too harsh on the pedal they are pretty sharp though!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 03:22 PM   #7
Chris93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

I find the brake feel pretty bad in my M340d MHT. There is a distinct change in brake feel when the engine shuts off which it does a lot. I also find the brakes in general a particular weak point, they arent confidence inspiring. I think I might try some braided brake lines as a first step

Build thread - https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029191
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 07:45 AM   #8
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

I've never had an issue with the brakes on my M340d. Fine for normal driving and even when "warmed up" cross country until they are a bit toasted and smelly. Just got to make sure they get a gentle cool down again before sitting with a foot on the brakes at lights etc.

There is a slightly different sensation when braking sometimes depending on whether the MHT battery system is fully charged or charging creating a little drag on the starter/generator during overrun but you get used to it quickly and hardly notice it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 09:31 AM   #9
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris93 View Post
I find the brake feel pretty bad in my M340d MHT. There is a distinct change in brake feel when the engine shuts off which it does a lot. I also find the brakes in general a particular weak point, they arent confidence inspiring. I think I might try some braided brake lines as a first step
Solution: SS brake lines and upgraded fluid. I have Turner SS brake lines and motul RBF fluid.
Chris9349.50
      04-29-2024, 04:59 PM   #10
supest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i

Thanks everyone!

I know the SS function makes a difference but that is not to blame for my experience. I've noticed that the brakes are generally linear when coming to a stop from cruising speed than they are during start-stop traffic/ low speeds. I have no concerns with the performance of the brakes itself; it's just the sudden/ non-linear slowdown during low speeds that bothers me.

I can't really place why it seems to happen but from some of these comments it looks like I'm not the only one.
Appreciate 0