Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications B58 Exhaust Mods + Tunes

08-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
B58 Exhaust Mods + Tunes

I'm planning on doing some mods to my car and wanted advise from people who have already tuned their B58s. I've had my M340i since last July and it is still completely stock.

I have not tuned my car before or any of my previous cars so I am still a bit of a newbie when it comes to this.

In the coming weeks I plan on making these changes to my car;

VRSF downpipe (really want catless, but may get high flow catted due to smell)
MHD stage 2
Upgraded intake + charge pipe.

Dependant on how this feels and how the car will now sound, I may do an OPF/GPF delete. But this is all dependant on how the car is after the above mods.

Now, like I said I am a newbie and I welcome all advise. Do I need to upgrade my charge pipe etc? If so, what do you recommend? Should I avoid any of the above things I have stated or does it sound good?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 10:04 PM   #2
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Everything on that list sounds pretty spot on to go stage 2 without any issues.

The charge pipes on these cars don't break like they used to however we still sell a ton of them and for a fairly low cost it will eliminate any headaches and give you peace of mind while adding some looks.

Check out our site we have everything you are looking and currently on sale.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 06:34 AM   #3
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
Everything on that list sounds pretty spot on to go stage 2 without any issues.

The charge pipes on these cars don't break like they used to however we still sell a ton of them and for a fairly low cost it will eliminate any headaches and give you peace of mind while adding some looks.

Check out our site we have everything you are looking and currently on sale.
That's brilliant, thank you.

Do you think I'm going with the right choice with a VRSF downpipe, or do you think I should consider AA or CTS?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #4
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabbypatty View Post

Do you think I'm going with the right choice with a VRSF downpipe, or do you think I should consider AA or CTS?
CTS and VRSF are the cheapest options, I think most ppl get them as catless because it's basically just a hollow pipe. If your considering between AA or one of the others I'd personally suggest strongly going with AA, it's more money for sure but for a good reason. AA has no issues with cel, even if your getting a tune, if you want to flash back to stock and head into the dealer you can without having the cel come on, because they can tell you to remove the part causing the light and come back.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:42 AM   #5
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_B58 View Post
Quote:

CTS and VRSF are the cheapest options, I think most ppl get them as catless because it's basically just a hollow pipe. If your considering between AA or one of the others I'd personally suggest strongly going with AA, it's more money for sure but for a good reason. AA has no issues with cel, even if your getting a tune, if you want to flash back to stock and head into the dealer you can without having the cel come on, because they can tell you to remove the part causing the light and come back.
That is a really good point and that is why I was considering the AA. Because the removal of the tune had me concerned for the CEL if I ever had to take the car back to BMW.

Would it be the same in the U.K. in terms of no CEL with the carted AA downpipe?

Also if I did go for VRSF, could I not instal at 02 spacer that would work?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Since MAD sell downpipes, i bet they think the best choice is to go with them

If you wish to get a catted downpipe, our most popular is Active Autowerke because it does not throw a check engine light

The second most popular is CTS Turbo

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #7
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Since MAD sell downpipes, i bet they think the best choice is to go with them

If you wish to get a catted downpipe, our most popular is Active Autowerke because it does not throw a check engine light

The second most popular is CTS Turbo
Brilliant, thank you. I really want to know how the AA catted downpipe sounds with a stage 2 UK/EU model with OPF/GPF.

I have an early 2020 build, around Feb, not sure if that means anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #8
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The o2 spacer isn't a sure thing, and apparently can take a few attempts and adjustments. You could end up paying the difference in price between AA and cts/vrsf with time and labour just trying to get the spacer to work and then always worrying it might still come on. I'm not sure how the dealers feel about spacers either, if they might say something about you trying to trick a sensor?

Just my 2 cents anyways.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #9
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
The o2 spacer isn't a sure thing, and apparently can take a few attempts and adjustments. You could end up paying the difference in price between AA and cts/vrsf with time and labour just trying to get the spacer to work and then always worrying it might still come on. I'm not sure how the dealers feel about spacers either, if they might say something about you trying to trick a sensor?

Just my 2 cents anyways.

Yes good point.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #10
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A bought an AA dp used, bit rough but not too bad of condition, and decided to use a spacer just to be safe and not have to worry about a cel. Ended up getting one after a few drive cycles, so took it off and cleared the code, never came back. I've never used any of their products before, but very impressed now.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #11
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
A bought an AA dp used, bit rough but not too bad of condition, and decided to use a spacer just to be safe and not have to worry about a cel. Ended up getting one after a few drive cycles, so took it off and cleared the code, never came back. I've never used any of their products before, but very impressed now.
Quote:
Okay that's actually really good to know. How does the AA DP sound?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:09 AM   #12
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bit more raw and loud, but not too much, and surprisingly good about drone given that the m340i doesn't come with resonators. I have it paired to the remus sport exhaust, which isn't as loud or free flowing as some of the others on the market tho. Videos can give u an idea, but always sounds different in person.
On my f30 I had a cg precision downpipe, with a resonator delete and remus Axle-back, which was really loud but droned a fair bit. Don't know how much I can contribute to the difference in downpipes vs other factors tho.
Cold starts louder but not too much more, normal driving in comfort doesn't sound too different, but sport+ is the major improvement in both sound and throttle response. I like it cause it sounds and drives stock when u want it too, and then comes alive when needed lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 10:25 PM   #13
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:

Well I would consider our downpipe. Currently on sale *cough*

Appreciate 0