Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Tinted Window Messing Up Auto-dimming Sensors

07-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #89
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12ax7 View Post
I've been following this thread for the past several weeks and I also just came across this thread which I found very helpful: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1839771

I'm scheduling an appointment for next week and I am pretty set on 35% all around (mineral grey/black interior).

I had planned on sticking to dyed film based on this thread, but re-reading the latest comments on this thread and seeing how dark people are going on the above thread, I am reconsidering ceramic. Do you guys think I should not have any dimming issues - ceramic or dyed - since I wont be going darker than 35%?

I had ceramic on my prior F30, but I had dyed on all prior cars (all Llumar from Shades of Gray). I'm not overly concerned with top notch heat rejection (although I could go for that today), but is there really a big difference in the "look" of ceramic vs. dyed vs. other types? With all the love for 3M on the thread recently, I checked out their store locator and found there is a place that uses 3M (FX premium, crystalline and color stable are the offered tints) and is also far more convenient for me - plus it has top notch google reviews.

What do you guys think about different looks of tints, assuming the same percentage? I realize that is probably a tough question and probably needs real-world comparison rather than pictures, but any feedback would be appreciated.
The tint shop I went to said that going below 35% would be egregious and would be asking for law enforcement to question me. Not to mention a bit of safety issue not being able to see what's in your side mirrors.

I haven't had any issues with screen dimming since the tints either. Regular carbon tints

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:25 PM   #90
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_ckash623 View Post
The tint shop I went to said that going below 35% would be egregious and would be asking for law enforcement to question me. Not to mention a bit of safety issue not being able to see what's in your side mirrors.

I haven't had any issues with screen dimming since the tints either. Regular carbon tints
I'm sorry but your tint shop is quite frankly, stupid. "Egregious" for going below 35%?? That's absolutely laughable. There is nothing unsafe about having a darker tint than 35%. I have never had issues with seeing my side mirrors, rearview mirror, windows or anything else and I have a 25% tint all around.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:35 PM   #91
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:

I'm sorry but your tint shop is quite frankly, stupid. "Egregious" for going below 35%?? That's absolutely laughable. There is nothing unsafe about having a darker tint than 35%. I have never had issues with seeing my side mirrors, rearview mirror, windows or anything else and I have a 25% tint all around.
Their statement was after I asked about looks and whether or not I'd get stopped by police. They did good work and I appreciated their opinion and agreed with them. In terms of safety, that's just my view on it. I've only done 35% on my cars as that's the look I prefer and the visibility it gives me when I'm driving.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:39 PM   #92
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Their statement was after I asked about looks and whether or not I'd get stopped by police. They did good work and I appreciated their opinion and agreed with them. In terms of safety, that's just my view on it. I've only done 35% on my cars as that's the look I prefer and the visibility it gives me when I'm driving.
I understand, that's cool. You got what you liked and that's what matters. Sorry, I just read the part about the shop basically saying it's dangerous to get a darker tint which I don't really agree with. It's all good!
Appreciate 1
k4sh_90539.00
      07-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #93
HDClown
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

What percentage tint it likely to lead to you getting pulled over is going to be very specific to your location. For me in FL, no one is pulling anyone over strictly for tint alone. Maybe they use it as an excuse for something else they wanted to pull you over for but had no legal standing to do so. But other then that, it doesn't matter if you have 70%, 35%, double 5%, or silver reflective "limo tint". It pretty much never happens.

If you are above legal limits and you get pulled over for something else, then they may put a meter on the car and add that to your infractions, but pulling you over only for tint being too dark is generally unheard of here.

Me personally, 30% is way too light for my personal tastes of how the car looks from the outside. I had 28% all around on my first ever car (to match legal limit in FL for front windows) and since then I've had 13-18% depending on brand. 20% would be my sweet spot but most places in my area don't carry that as it's an in-between with most lines of tint. Every here always has 5, 15, 30 and up.

Last edited by HDClown; 07-27-2021 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:05 PM   #94
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDClown View Post
What percentage tint it likely to lead to you getting pulled over is going to be very specific to your location. For me in FL, no one is pulling anyone over strictly for tint alone. Maybe they use it as an excuse for something else they wanted to pull you over for but had no legal standing to do so. But other then that, it doesn't matter if you have 70%, 35%, double 5%, or silver reflective "limo tint". It pretty much never happens.

If you are above legal limits and you get pulled over for something else, then they may put a meter on the car and add that to your infractions, but pulling you over only for tint being too dark is generally unheard of here.
Its NY. Need I say more lol

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 07:49 AM   #95
MattEcho
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340xi

My detail guy is saying 15%. It's what he has on his Audi. 🤷🏻
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #96
HDClown
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Formula One Pinnacle 15 installed on sides/rear last week and certainly have dimming depending on location of sun and amount of cloud cover.

Overall not a big concern for me on a day by day basis as I'm primarily looking at the HUD or quick glance at iDrive for the name of a song that is playing. Had one instance on road trip this weekend where I was trying to do some stuff with the NAV and things dimmed down all the way and it was a little difficult but was still doable. When it dims down the lowest you can still read things as long as you don't have sunglasses on.

I'll take the dimming over 35% tint, which I find to be too light, aesthetically, from the outside. Couldn't find anyone who carried 20% in any high quality tint or would have gone with that. I do intend to get a www.bimmerlight.com when they are available.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 04:45 PM   #97
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This is how 35% looks from inside the vehicle on a sunny day, and another shot with against some shade
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 08:59 PM   #98
Socosurf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

Quote:
Quote:
I've been following this thread for the past several weeks and I also just came across this thread which I found very helpful: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1839771

I'm scheduling an appointment for next week and I am pretty set on 35% all around (mineral grey/black interior).

I had planned on sticking to dyed film based on this thread, but re-reading the latest comments on this thread and seeing how dark people are going on the above thread, I am reconsidering ceramic. Do you guys think I should not have any dimming issues - ceramic or dyed - since I wont be going darker than 35%?

I had ceramic on my prior F30, but I had dyed on all prior cars (all Llumar from Shades of Gray). I'm not overly concerned with top notch heat rejection (although I could go for that today), but is there really a big difference in the "look" of ceramic vs. dyed vs. other types? With all the love for 3M on the thread recently, I checked out their store locator and found there is a place that uses 3M (FX premium, crystalline and color stable are the offered tints) and is also far more convenient for me - plus it has top notch google reviews.

What do you guys think about different looks of tints, assuming the same percentage? I realize that is probably a tough question and probably needs real-world comparison rather than pictures, but any feedback would be appreciated.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I've always had 15% tint on all my vehicles and never once got questioned, pulled over, or a tint shop telling me it was a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #99
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socosurf View Post
Quote:
Quote:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I've always had 15% tint on all my vehicles and never once got questioned, pulled over, or a tint shop telling me it was a bad idea.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 04:33 PM   #100
JParsonss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 7 Series 760i

Garage List
2022 X5 M Competition - Same Issue

Just had my X5 tinted and same issue with instrument and control panel dimming. You can actually shine my cell phone light in the lower left hand corner of the instrument panel and that corrects it while it's on it. Going to try some non-ceramic coating and a little less darker, in hopes that fixes the issue. BMW needs to get a fix out for this one.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 04:56 PM   #101
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParsonss View Post
Just had my X5 tinted and same issue with instrument and control panel dimming. You can actually shine my cell phone light in the lower left hand corner of the instrument panel and that corrects it while it's on it. Going to try some non-ceramic coating and a little less darker, in hopes that fixes the issue. BMW needs to get a fix out for this one.
This "issue" has been around since the introduction of digital cluster in the early 2013 or so..

There is nothing BMW needs to fix since the issue is caused by the tint that we added on our own. But what BMW should do is give us the ability to turn this auto brightness feature off like the one on our cellphones.

I dont need my cellphone to adjust the brightness on its own. 99.99% of the time the auto brightness is not what i wanted.
For those who like this feature, keep it on.

I am just surprised out of all the options that we have in iDrive, BMW decided that we dont need to have the option to turn this feature off.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-18-2022 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 07:03 PM   #102
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

A coding fix with bimmercode expert if you guys haven't seen it already.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1899487
Porsche 911 Carrera T (retired)
Appreciate 0