Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan /G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New Ad for M340i xDrive - "Love Rivals"

03-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #67
z335is
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
I know. I wish I had a 340
Relax. The only entity that decides whether a car is an M car or not is BMW. Any car with prefatory 'M' in its name is an M car. If you don't like it, go and complain to BMW

Some M performance cars are much more expensive than M cars (m850i is more expensive than M3, M4 and the same price as M5 competition), so it is not a matter of affordability, it is what suits your need. M3 and M4 are much commoner than m240i

You would sure be hurt if you bought your 'full M car' because of exclusivity (badge whoring) rather than performance.
A base 7 series is also more expensive than an M2, your point? Price has nothing to do with this...

Mxxx= mid performance tier
Mx = top performance tier

Which is why you will never see an M340i CS or M340i GTS. End of story.
Appreciate 3
      03-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #68
babaikram
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 520D and m240i with MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Relax. The only entity that decides whether a car is an M car or not is BMW. Any car with prefatory 'M' in its name is an M car. If you don't like it, go and complain to BMW

Some M performance cars are much more expensive than M cars (m850i is more expensive than M3, M4 and the same price as M5 competition), so it is not a matter of affordability, it is what suits your need. M3 and M4 are much commoner than m240i

You would sure be hurt if you bought your 'full M car' because of exclusivity (badge whoring) rather than performance.
A base 7 series is also more expensive than an M2, your point? Price has nothing to do with this...

My points:

For some M owners to stop assuming that people are buying M performance cars because they cannot afford M cars

For people to stop assuming M performance cars are 'wannabes' rather than catering for a specific set of buyers

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #69
BigSky702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Honestly I’m “downgrading “ due to priorities.. ( ie unexpected medical bills!). When the M340i lease is up it’s back to ///M !!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #70
ProperBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMV///M3 View Post
Seems like a winner except for the grills
Saw a 330 in person today at New Country BMW Hartford...the only profile on the car I can stand is the side profile. The front is terrible, the rear looks like a Toyota/Lexus, the interior looks Japanese (I'm not a fan of the tech overload shit, but to each his own), the msport steering wheel looks like an f30 sport wheel bulked up, f30/80 is much better.

I just can not not describe just how bad the grills are on this car, it is seriously a so out of proportion and slobby looking. I went in for service today, then just happened to check out the showroom mainly to see the m850 and the X7 (which both weren't impressive). I wanted to hopefully like the new 3 series but I just couldn't. Sadly after 18 years of bmw ownership, when my X5, and wife's X1 are done, we're out of bmw....selling my f30 335 right now and will only pickup a f80/82 for a crackhead deal or onto another brand. It's just not there anymore for me with BMW.
Appreciate 1
M370z37.00

03-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #71
ProperBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:
That couple can clearly afford a real M
I had 2 M cars in a row before, and right now I have a non-M car. I prefer my non-M car to both (by a mile). It's not a matter of 'affording'; it's mostly preference.
Completely understandable.
Agree 100%, had e36m, e46m, e92M then 4 different 335's and truthfully preferred the xdrive 335's more.

Even though I should burn in Hell for that comment. All about practicality now. Spent too many years walking past my "weekend" badass cars and driving beaters daily due to weather/conditions. Shit sucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #72
GOLFFRR
Lowest prices on all BMWs, we sell to all states
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nice lol
the m340 is going to be a beast!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Jimmy Bach: jbach@stevethomasbmw.com - Cell:805-807-1989
If you have any issues getting a hold of Jimmy B PLEASE PM me, I'm available everyday till 545pm!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #73
M370z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperBimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMV///M3 View Post
Seems like a winner except for the grills
Saw a 330 in person today at New Country BMW Hartford...the only profile on the car I can stand is the side profile. The front is terrible, the rear looks like a Toyota/Lexus, the interior looks Japanese (I'm not a fan of the tech overload shit, but to each his own), the msport steering wheel looks like an f30 sport wheel bulked up, f30/80 is much better.

I just can not not describe just how bad the grills are on this car, it is seriously a so out of proportion and slobby looking. I went in for service today, then just happened to check out the showroom mainly to see the m850 and the X7 (which both weren't impressive). I wanted to hopefully like the new 3 series but I just couldn't. Sadly after 18 years of bmw ownership, when my X5, and wife's X1 are done, we're out of bmw....selling my f30 335 right now and will only pickup a f80/82 for a crackhead deal or onto another brand. It's just not there anymore for me with BMW.
Totally agree on the hideous grill on this car. There is a reason that they chose black for the commercial, as it at least partially masks that bulbous monstrosity.

Otherwise, should be a fun ride, like any other 340. Looking forward to the first reviews.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2019, 10:49 PM   #74
CP911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

I liked this one! It's playful and engaging. Relatable too, if you are married.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:03 AM   #75
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My points:

For some M owners to stop assuming that people are buying M performance cars because they cannot afford M cars

For people to stop assuming M performance cars are 'wannabes' rather than catering for a specific set of buyers

Agree with second paragraph. Problem is, uneducated buyers will assume an M340,M240, etc are less sporty versions of their M counterparts (M2,M3...) as opposed to a sportier version of their base models (320,330,230, etc).

You buy what you prefer. But keep in mind that there is a base M car and it isn't the M-sport, it's the actual M car since there are higher trims of it (I.e. Comp,CS,GTS, etc)
      03-15-2019, 01:15 AM   #76
///M TOWN.
Rep
Drives: ///M

I have both sets of keys and the app password.

Not possible lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:21 AM   #77
babaikram
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My points:

Agree with second paragraph. Problem is, uneducated buyers will assume an M340,M240, etc are less sporty versions of their M counterparts (M2,M3...) as opposed to a sportier version of their base models (320,330,230, etc).

You buy what you prefer. But keep in mind that there is a base M car and it isn't the M-sport, it's the actual M car since there are higher trims of it (I.e. Comp,CS,GTS, etc)
You are demonstrating the point I was making. Who gives you the authority to judge that m performance versions are closer to the base versions rather than the full M.

For example every review and my own experience say m240i is 90% OG M2. In fact some reviewers prefer it to OG M2

M550i is much closer to M5 compare to being close to 530i

So a whole lot of people would disagree with you. The position of m Performance cars has been made clear by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:30 AM   #78
PureModelsOnly
6MT PURIST
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
The position of m Performance cars has been made clear by BMW.
Yea it's to get people to pay the most money for a non-M car. M Performance cars basically replaced the highest trim level for each model. Tack on some M badges, cerium grey trim, and pop and crackle exhausts and people will pay the premium. And it also lures them to getting real M cars next time. They're not 90% M cars. If you've ever driven one you would immediately tell the difference.

03-15-2019, 04:45 AM   #79
BlackArrow
Rep
Drives: 2013 F32

So he was able to take it out of the garage then lost the key?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #80
hans007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Quote:
Yea it's to get people to pay the most money for a non-M car. M Performance cars basically replaced the highest trim level for each model. Tack on some M badges, cerium grey trim, and pop and crackle exhausts and people will pay the premium. And it also lures them to getting real M cars next time. They're not 90% M cars. If you've ever driven one you would immediately tell the difference.

M cars are great and all. But they have all always been varying grades on the same scale. the M3 is going to be what maybe 8-9k more than a m340i. I'd guess 95% of m340i buyers could make it work if they had to get an m3.

I'm not saying M cars are bad, or M340i cars are bad. Or 330i is bad. Its just different versions of the same thing, so don't act like it makes you somehow better if you bought an actual m3. Unless you really care how much money one has to spend on transportation and whatever status you feel that gives

I mean an m3 costs what probably what a base x5 50i costs. So if you are on that train of thought, shouldn't anyone with a $70k car, like a x5 50i occupy the same status. Because lets get real here. Most people who get an M3 aren't going to be some amazing driver / track magician. I might get an M3 this time around. I can afford it. THat doesn't make me any better a driver than I am now, and ultimately for a lot of M drivers its a how much money can you spend on transportation pissing contest. So unless you really care about that or find it important, does it really matter if someone is an m340i o m3 owner.
Appreciate 1
JamieA60.50

03-15-2019, 06:56 AM   #81
BigSky702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
M cars are great and all. But they have all always been varying grades on the same scale. the M3 is going to be what maybe 8-9k more than a m340i. I'd guess 95% of m340i buyers could make it work if they had to get an m3.

I'm not saying M cars are bad, or M340i cars are bad. Or 330i is bad. Its just different versions of the same thing, so don't act like it makes you somehow better if you bought an actual m3. Unless you really care how much money one has to spend on transportation and whatever status you feel that gives

I mean an m3 costs what probably what a base x5 50i costs. So if you are on that train of thought, shouldn't anyone with a $70k car, like a x5 50i occupy the same status. Because lets get real here. Most people who get an M3 aren't going to be some amazing driver / track magician. I might get an M3 this time around. I can afford it. THat doesn't make me any better a driver than I am now, and ultimately for a lot of M drivers its a how much money can you spend on transportation pissing contest. So unless you really care about that or find it important, does it really matter if someone is an m340i o m3 owner.

To be honest, for me the status is that it’s an M car.

It has a heritage and an iconic status, nothing to do with cost (for me).
I don’t care if it’s an F82 or E92, it’s like being in the “club”.
I still get thumbs up from random people on the street, and you can guess what happens when I pick my daughter up from high school!

As nice of a car as the M340i may be, I doubt I’ll get the same reactions.
There’s a high percentage chance I’ll change my mind at the dealer and jump back into an M.

I showed my daughter a pic of the M340i and she was like “eh!” Needless to say she has good taste in cars, taught her well!!
Appreciate 2
M370z37.00

03-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #82
PureModelsOnly
6MT PURIST
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Quote:

No you're missing the point. A M car is about how it drives and how it feels. Stick a turd badge on the back I don't care the M3 simply gives a much more exhilarating driving experience even on a daily basis. Again if you've ever driven one you'd understand. If I really did care about image status I should have bought a used 7 series and pass it off that I could afford a new 7 series.

03-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #83
babaikram
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:

To be honest, for me the status is that it’s an M car.

I don’t care if it’s an F82 or E92, it’s like being in the “club”.
I still get thumbs up from random people on the street, and you can guess what happens when I pick my daughter up from high school!

As nice of a car as the M340i may be, I doubt I’ll get the same reactions.
There’s a high percentage chance I’ll change my mind at the dealer and jump back into an M.

I showed my daughter a pic of the M340i and she was like “eh!” Needless to say she has good taste in cars, taught her well!!
So you are buying cars in order to be externally validated? This is a serious sign of insecurity. Simply speaking it is a form of badge whoring.

Please instil a better value in your daughter.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #84
M370z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:

To be honest, for me the status is that it's an M car.

I don't care if it's an F82 or E92, it's like being in the "club".

As nice of a car as the M340i may be, I doubt I'll get the same reactions.
There's a high percentage chance I'll change my mind at the dealer and jump back into an M.

I showed my daughter a pic of the M340i and she was like "eh!" Needless to say she has good taste in cars, taught her well!!
So you are buying cars in order to be externally validated? This is a serious sign of insecurity. Simply speaking it is a form of badge whoring.

Please instil a better value in your daughter.
Dude, enough... Just enjoy your 340 when you get it, I'm sure it will be an awesome ride. No need to keep insisting that it is an M car, when everyone and their mother knows that it isn't.

Not a good look when you are the only one in the thread making these false claims.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #85
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My points:

You are demonstrating the point I was making. Who gives you the authority to judge that m performance versions are closer to the base versions rather than the full M.

For example every review and my own experience say m240i is 90% OG M2. In fact some reviewers prefer it to OG M2

M550i is much closer to M5 compare to being close to 530i

So a whole lot of people would disagree with you. The position of m Performance cars has been made clear by BMW.
You're delusional.

BMW stayed themselves the F30 and F80 only share 20% components. If those are similar then I don't know what's different.

You want to use the actual manufacturer as an example? Ok, show me where the M235,M240,M850,M340 etc are under M models:

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/m-models.html
      03-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #86
MT4life
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Judging by this thread it seems that BMW has done it right by placing M in front of regular productions 240,340,550, some fake SUVS, etc.
Clearly it's a selling point for some, so it worked.

I personally know I don't have an M3 even though I have M Sport package, MPPSK, M suspension, M this and that including M door scuff plates and M foot rest and M steering wheel and M 6mt shift knob and a damn M logo on all 4 wheels. If my car came with M in front of 340i, I would be removing it ASAP. I can't help but think the driver next to me in a real M3 would get a good chuckle seeing M340i on my trunk. I can afford an M3 but chose not to get it because it was more expensive and over the top for what I need in a daily driver, but I sure as hell am not gonna pretend that my car is "almost M3" because BMW decided to glue an M in front of 340i
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #87
Cortexiphan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' BMW 540i MSport

Quote:
M performance cars aren't just exhaust pop and gray trim.
More powerful engines, LSD, Adaptive M Suspension and more are part of M Performance models... I've owned 2 M cars, btw.

F82 ///M4
G30 540i ///Msport
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #88
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Judging by this thread it seems that BMW has done it right by placing M in front of regular productions 240,340,550, some fake SUVS, etc.
Clearly it's a selling point for some, so it worked.

I personally know I don't have an M3 even though I have M Sport package, MPPSK, M suspension, M this and that including M door scuff plates and M foot rest and M steering wheel and M 6mt shift knob and a damn M logo on all 4 wheels. If my car came with M in front of 340i, I would be removing it ASAP. I can't help but think the driver next to me in a real M3 would get a good chuckle seeing M340i on my trunk. I can afford an M3 but chose not to get it because it was more expensive and over the top for what I need in a daily driver, but I sure as hell am not gonna pretend that my car is "almost M3" because BMW decided to glue an M in front of 340i
The difference between a base M340 and M3 is something around 15-20k. Loaded it's probably around there also.

The point isn't to make fun or belittle consumers that can't afford an actual M model. When we say cost, we mean consumers that want a sporty BMW, but don't WANT to pay for a full on M model. So their budget ceiling is an M340 for example. Doesn't mean they can't afford it necessarily, it just means they don't want to spend that much on a vehicle.

That's BMWs target market with these M-performance models.

Others also prefer sporty base models as DDs because they're more comfortable. So it depends on the consumer.