Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 3-Series: What I've learned since taking delivery

04-09-2019, 02:14 AM   #111
ihateredlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

congrats on the car man! im still trying to fall in love with the body
Appreciate 1
Mii392.50
      04-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #112
sspdw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m140

Here in sweden base price for a 330i in 2007 was 432k adjusted for inflation. As of today the 330i is 405k. I got 14,7% off my order that would be impossible in 2007 according to ny dealer, it was a maximum of 8-9% on e9x.
Appreciate 1
Mii392.50
      04-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #113
Stormshadowm3
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspdw View Post
Here in sweden base price for a 330i in 2007 was 432k adjusted for inflation. As of today the 330i is 405k. I got 14,7% off my order that would be impossible in 2007 according to ny dealer, it was a maximum of 8-9% on e9x.
Has the wheel bolt pattern changed from 5x120?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #114
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Nah, I'll back you. Mexicans suck. They painted my house and did my dry wall . Awful job.

I have 2 guitars. 1 US and 1 Mexican. I had to rewire the Mexican one by hand because they did a terrible job and it fell apart.

BMW wants in on cheap labour to boost profits like GM and Audi.

If you buy a Mexican 3 series your going to get exactly that.

If Americans cared at all, which they clearly don't, you'd think they would skip the G20 on principle. bMw could have tooled in Spartanburg. They opted for Mexico.
Do a euro delivery of your 3.
Look, the US american workers in Spartanburg managed to build X5's and other BMW X models at such a satisfactory quality so that europeans don't have a big problem with buying them even though they are from the states. I'm sure the mexican plant will manage just as well in time.
Supposedly after 15 years the Mexican Fenders are just as good as the US barring cheaper materials and paint protocol.

However, the G20 is a NEW factory with NEW workers in fucking MEXICO.

Think about Tesla's problems in thé US hiring every yuppie engineer thé US has to offer.

The california 9th liberal court just ruled Mexico is too dangerous for migrants to live in.

You really want to pay BMWs price hike on a 3 series for that build quality?

That's gonna be a big yikes from me dawg.

I'm of course attempting to call this as politically neutral as I can. All I'm considering is your $70k grand and the product your going to get for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #115
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
My wallet can, though. Let's see what an LCI brings.
look at the LCI 7 series similar design of the back lights... the design is here to stay for several years...
Very true, thank God we all have choices to make, like "other" manufacturers! Like the song goes "we're not going to take it" hum a few bars
Exactly, if you don't like it go to the next brand!! It might not be as good as BMW but at least you'll have the "pretty" back lights that you'll be happy with!!! 🤘🏻🤘🏻
To be honest, aesthetically it's fine. Price tag for a 4 banger manufactured in Mexico, is absurd! But you've noticed this. Needless to say, I like my German cars manufactured in some crazy place, like Germany
This whole thing about cars being assembled in Mexico is also getting old. The price is right up there with the other European brands.
BMW manufactures part of the X line in the US for years are those pure GERMAN CARS?
Or is it the part of MEXICO that you don't like. Other European brands as well as AMERICAN brands are in MEXICO.
You need to understand that unless you pay close to 100k for a "pure" German car you will have to get used to the fact that lesser models will be made through out the world to save cost.
Thats funny because the price went up despite it obviously being cheaper to make...
Hmmm is called inflation. The buying power of the US greenback is less and less as each year goes by. Prices on products go up and salaries remain stagnant. So a $61K "4 banger" is not really that off the charts.

You should see the retail prices of BMWs 20-30 years adjusted for inflation in today's money.
Yeah inflation has something like halved the value of a dollar in 40 years but wages have only gone up 10%.

But I'm actually just referring to BMWs price increase relative to cost to make. Big win for BMW share holders. May hurt the brand in the long run. We finally got free of the e60 era break my wallet. Serious money gone' reputation.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #116
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Supposedly after 15 years the Mexican Fenders are just as good as the US barring cheaper materials and paint protocol.

Think about Tesla's problems in thé US hiring every yuppie engineer thé US has to offer.

The california 9th liberal court just ruled Mexico is too dangerous for migrants to live in.

I'm of course attempting to call this as politically neutral as I can. All I'm considering is your $70k grand and the product your going to get for it.
hmmm... interesting take.
Makes you wonder why ///Ms, AMGs... are still produced abroad... heh, same with the GTR

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #117
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:

Makes you wonder why ///Ms, AMGs... are still produced abroad... heh, same with the GTR
Lmao, hey bro check out my $130k mexican engineering at its finest BMW!

Just doesn't work does it?

Something about the German history of mechanized war has made the German brand very good. Mexico? Something about mariachi music, drug crimes, has the opposite effect.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #118
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
you mean like all those AMG cars... rolling out of alabama.... or all the bmw x3/x4/x5/x6 M suvs in south carolina. Or that acura NSX made in ohio. I don't think I'd have a problem owning a C63 or an NSX based on where they make them.

If you watch the videos of the 3 series factory in germany its like 85% robots anyway. I'm fairly confident that trained people can do the last bit of it to the same degree in every country. If locating the factory nearer lets BMW keep some profit margin so they dont have to raise prices , i'm pretty much for it if the quality is the same. The 2019 330i does start at the same price as the 2018 with far more content. That is where that lack of inflation is coming from. Given its a $40k+ car, even 3% inflation on it would have been a not unnoticeable $1200-1500 . Would you pay $1200 extra just to have your car assembled by a german?
mostly robots anyway. I'm guessing they program the robots the same.

I've been in the audi dealership more than a few times the last couple of years, and I'd guess audi factory's are probably just as modern as bmws. New Q5s are mexican made in a brand new factory and a friend bought one when I got my current car. They seem to be built to the same level of tolerances, its just a matter of corporate quality control. Hell tesla can barely put a car together in one of the most expensive regions to built a car on earth, and i'm sure if they had a german tesla plant those cars would have terrible panel gaps too.

Last edited by hans007; 04-09-2019 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
BimmerFix1390.50
      04-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #119
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
Lmao, hey bro check out my $130k mexican engineering at its finest BMW!

Just doesn't work does it?

Something about the German history of mechanized war has made the German brand very good. Mexico? Something about mariachi music, drug crimes, has the opposite effect.
Dang my man, that's like borderline racist. It's not like the plant is in the middle of Juarez- Sinloa drug cartel, and they plucked the factory workers from high school . Automated robots do most the work anyways, and I would think BMW would have even more stricter quality control checks.
hans007604.50
      04-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #120
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
you mean like all those AMG cars... rolling out of alabama.... or all the bmw x3/x4/x5/x6 M suvs in south carolina. Or that acura NSX made in ohio. I don't think I'd have a problem owning a C63 or an NSX based on where they make them.

If you watch the videos of the 3 series factory in germany its like 85% robots anyway. I'm fairly confident that trained people can do the last bit of it to the same degree in every country. If locating the factory nearer lets BMW keep some profit margin so they dont have to raise prices , i'm pretty much for it if the quality is the same. The 2019 330i does start at the same price as the 2018 with far more content. That is where that lack of inflation is coming from. Given its a $40k+ car, even 3% inflation on it would have been a not unnoticeable $1200-1500 . Would you pay $1200 extra just to have your car assembled by a german?
mostly robots anyway. I'm guessing they program the robots the same.

I've been in the audi dealership more than a few times the last couple of years, and I'd guess audi factory's are probably just as modern as bmws. New Q5s are mexican made in a brand new factory and a friend bought one when I got my current car. They seem to be built to the same level of tolerances, its just a matter of corporate quality control. Hell tesla can barely put a car together in one of the most expensive regions to built a car on earth, and i'm sure if they had a german tesla plant those cars would have terrible panel gaps too.
Ok, calm down... I never mentioned Acura (and that was not by accident, I have a separate issue with Acura!!), NOR did I mention ANY of the SAVs... Only the specialty vehicles...

Consider my mind blown if they do manufacture AMG 100% in Alabama.. you really have to search for the info, and let's be clear, is the ENGINE still built in Germany and shipped over???

I've seen the video of the BMW plant numerous times while waiting for delivery, I also seen images of some GM plants... NOT THE SAME IN LOOK!

I am NOT stating the manufacturing process is inferior, merely stating there's still a PERCEIVED level of quality by stating "exclusive" models are built in the homeland...

And yes, I would pay extra to have it assembled in the country of origin... I would pay the premium for vehicle I truly desire, but that's just me... a pretentious snob, I guess(??).. Hell, if it's the new mid-engine Corvette, YES I WANT IT MADE IN BOWLING GREEN.... At least I know and can admit it.

Last edited by BigSky702; 04-09-2019 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #121
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFix View Post
Dang my man, that's like borderline racist. It's not like the plant is in the middle of Juarez- Sinloa drug cartel, and they plucked the factory workers from high school . Automated robots do most the work anyways, and I would think BMW would have even more stricter quality control checks.
**CAVEAT: I understand who you're addressing, BUT DO NOT associate that post with mine... please..

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #122
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Ok, calm down... I never mentioned Acura (and that was not by accident), NOR did I mention ANY of the SAVs... Only the specialty vehicles...

Consider my mind blown if they do manufacture AMG 100% in Alabama.. you really have to search for the info, and let's be clear, is the ENGINE still built in Germany and shipped over???

I am NOT stating the manufacturing process is inferior, merely stating there's still a PERCEIVED level of quality by stating "exclusive" models are built in the homeland...
I'm pretty sure they dont make the N series engines or the transmissions in mexico either. Its just a final assembly plant. I won't be shocked when they move M3 production here too given how similar the cars are at this point and they are already shipping engines in the S58 for the X3 / X4.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #123
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
I'm pretty sure they dont make the N series engines or the transmissions in mexico either. Its just a final assembly plant. I won't be shocked when they move M3 production here too given how similar the cars are at this point and they are already shipping engines in the S58 for the X3 / X4.
Right, but for now it's not built in North America, so to me it's not 100% built here.... perhaps one day!

Last edited by BigSky702; 04-09-2019 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #124
BimmerFix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
**CAVEAT: I understand who you're addressing, BUT DO NOT associate that post with mine... please..

I know mate, no worries I quite enjoy reading most your posts. I can differentiate the normal forum members from the trolls & M fanboys. Sad part is there’s more and more of the latter recently. But what can you do

Last edited by BimmerFix; 04-09-2019 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #125
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

All of the M340's are currently being manufactured in Germany. When will they start making them in Mexico?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #126
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
All of the M340's are currently being manufactured in Germany. When will they start making them in Mexico?
Quoting ynguldyn from another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
For now, the RWD M340i will be built in both Germany and Mexico, while the AWD M340i will be built in Germany only. But this will change within the next couple of years, and all US spec G20s will become dual sourced.
And of course if a tariff war with Europe becomes reality, SLP could become the exclusive source of these models for our market.
European Delivery is another option for German build G20.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #127
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
For now, the RWD M340i will be built in both Germany and Mexico, while the AWD M340i will be built in Germany only. But this will change within the next couple of years, and all US spec G20s will become dual sourced.
And of course if a tariff war with Europe becomes reality, SLP could become the exclusive source of these models for our market..
SLP?? What is that?

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #128
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
SLP?? What is that?
San Luis Potosí Plant in Mexico.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #129
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mii View Post
San Luis Potosí Plant in Mexico.
Hmmmm... unless Mr. Trump closes the border!

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #130
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Hmmmm... unless Mr. Trump closes the border!
Then all G20s will be subject to the future tariffs on EU goods.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #131
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costello1991 View Post
ill definitely skip this generation.
Well if you're gonna skip well gosh darn it I'm gonna skip also...... NOT!
Got one on order Dravit Grey with all the good stuff.
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 1
Mii392.50
      04-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #132
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep

G20 Live Cockpit Dynamic Views

Generally I preferred classic dial dashboard found on non-digital dashboard models being an old school. While learning the new tech, Live Cockpit makes spirited driving a bit more fun. With complete digital dashboard, one may wonder if BMW will support software update to enable digital classic dial similar to one found on X3M/X4M!

In additional to mileage info, there are real time hp and lb-ft per gear shift, lateral acceleration 0.6g 0.4g figure while car is in motion. (The images are taken while engine is off)

Name:  g20_Live_Sport_1.png
Views: 2902
Size:  936.8 KB
Name:  g20_Live_Sport_2.png
Views: 2889
Size:  961.3 KB
Name:  g20_Live_Sport_3.png
Views: 2974
Size:  970.3 KB
Name:  g20_Live_Sport_4.png
Views: 2893
Size:  925.8 KB