Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) G80 Steering Wheel

04-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #23
NoVaRob21
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M440Xi and X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by m340ninja View Post
So before front trim can come off, there are two black torx screws that actually go through the back of the wheel into the two separate steering wheel control panels. Disconnect the spring plate for the airbag completely away from the wiring harness. The harness itself just pay attention to how all of the cables are dressed and ran before removing.

The harness sits in this plastic flexible holder that fits in the mold inside the steering wheel. You’ll have to pull pretty hard around the bottom arch to get it loose. Once you get it out though I would directly put it into the new wheel. Also make note that the wiring at the top of the wheel sits behind the top cover. You’ll see what I mean when you take it all apart.

I think pulling everything off and then moving into the new wheel took around 45 mins.

When putting the airbag back, push it down with the weight distributed evenly making sure the top corners actually engage. If one side doesn’t engage, you have to pop the airbag completely off. I couldn’t get it to click in if the other side was locked already. Be absolutely sure that you get both sides locked at the same time.

P.S. When removing the airbag, the left side was way easier to get the angle and pop out the airbag compared to the right.
Awesome, thanks for the insight. I had wanted this wheel for a while and may finally pull the trigger over some other random cosmetic upgrades i was contemplating. Nothing like a good wheel to increase driving enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 03:56 PM   #24
NoVaRob21
Private
Rep

Quote:
So before front trim can come off, there are two black torx screws that actually go through the back of the wheel into the two separate steering wheel control panels. Disconnect the spring plate for the airbag completely away from the wiring harness. The harness itself just pay attention to how all of the cables are dressed and ran before removing.

The harness sits in this plastic flexible holder that fits in the mold inside the steering wheel. You’ll have to pull pretty hard around the bottom arch to get it loose. Once you get it out though I would directly put it into the new wheel. Also make note that the wiring at the top of the wheel sits behind the top cover. You’ll see what I mean when you take it all apart.

I think pulling everything off and then moving into the new wheel took around 45 mins.

When putting the airbag back, push it down with the weight distributed evenly making sure the top corners actually engage. If one side doesn’t engage, you have to pop the airbag completely off. I couldn’t get it to click in if the other side was locked already. Be absolutely sure that you get both sides locked at the same time.

P.S. When removing the airbag, the left side was way easier to get the angle and pop out the airbag compared to the right.
I went ahead, bit the bullet, and got this done. BIG NOTE: if you have a 2021+ with the mild hybrid, you need to pop the hood open when you disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it open as the lithium battery for the hybrid system will remain active unless you pop the hood (apparently there is some sensor that disconnects it when the hoods open).

I decided to use my stock trim (the silver with the leather) as it frankly seemed like a pain in the ass to take out a lot of little bolts to make the swap and I kind of like the way it looks with all of the other trim in the car. I will need to get some pictures but it looks great and I love the way it feels when gripping it. Plus its got the slightly flattened bottom, coming from a VW GTI that was always my favorite steering wheel feature.

I also went with some aluminum paddle shifters in anthracite from Evolve that I got at IND that I think look great.

I had a little bit of a tough time figuring out the angle for the air bag release and then getting that center bolt out took some torque. Overall pretty easy swap once the wheel was off.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 11:06 PM   #25
PhantomG22
Rep
Drives: G22 m440i X drive BMW

Would this also work on an m440i? Same exact steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 02:00 AM   #26
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
I don't see why the steering wheel wouldn't physically fit a G20... I don't know if the M1 and M2 buttons are going to work without a new module and/or a complete reflash though.

You also might have an issue if you have a heated wheel or the other traffic assistance gadgets.
i wonder if it will work if you have the M dash cluster. the M cluster would enable M HUD
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 05:26 PM   #27
NoVaRob21
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomG22 View Post
Would this also work on an m440i? Same exact steering wheel?
Yes, I have a G22 M440 and it worked fine
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 04:27 PM   #28
PhantomG22
Rep
Drives: G22 m440i X drive BMW

[IMG][/IMG] Thanks for the forum I got this done, and the paddle shifters… now to unlock that DME
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Coconut751.00
      05-09-2022, 06:54 PM   #29
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG] Thanks for the forum I got this done, and the paddle shifters… now to unlock that DME
Please tell me the heating function capability is still operational?!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:26 PM   #30
NoVaRob21
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
it is NOT, unfortunate but I much prefer the new wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:27 PM   #31
NoVaRob21
Private
Rep

Quote:
How did you get the display cluster to put the info in the center like that, I thought that was from the M cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:32 PM   #32
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaRob21 View Post
Quote:
it is NOT, unfortunate but I much prefer the new wheel.
That's what I figured but I thought I would ask. I fully agree, the M Performance steering wheel is miles better than stock!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:38 PM   #33
NoVaRob21
Private
Rep

Quote:
That's what I figured but I thought I would ask. I fully agree, the M Performance steering wheel is miles better than stock!
I actually feel like you get a little better steering feedback since its less padded (the leather sections are actually pretty firm and the suede has a little give) but that may just be a placebo.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 04:13 PM   #34
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I actually feel like you get a little better steering feedback since its less padded (the leather sections are actually pretty firm and the suede has a little give) but that may just be a placebo.
Lol, could be placebo but I doubt it! For me, it's a much better piece of equipment in every way.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2022, 05:46 PM   #35
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
After seeing the LCI M340, I really want the new M340 steering wheel with the colored stitching while retaining wheel heating (also don't have to worry about the M1/M2 buttons). I want to change out the paddles for nice CF paddles (OEM or aftermarket). Would also be nice to get the seatbelts if they come to the states. Not sure how hard that would be to switch out.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 07:54 PM   #36
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
After seeing the LCI M340, I really want the new M340 steering wheel with the colored stitching while retaining wheel heating (also don't have to worry about the M1/M2 buttons). I want to change out the paddles for nice CF paddles (OEM or aftermarket). Would also be nice to get the seatbelts if they come to the states. Not sure how hard that would be to switch out.
I have yet to see a M Performance steering wheel with the option for heating. Swapping the paddles is very straightforward and easy.

Definitely would be cool to install the seatbelts when available; installation would most likely be pretty straightforward other than the removal of a ton of interior components.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 11:39 AM   #37
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I have yet to see a M Performance steering wheel with the option for heating. Swapping the paddles is very straightforward and easy.

Definitely would be cool to install the seatbelts when available; installation would most likely be pretty straightforward other than the removal of a ton of interior components.
You may be right on the steering wheel - I've been looking for the review video where I saw the color stitched wheel. I can't seem to find it now.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 12:13 PM   #38
NoVaRob21
Private
Rep

Quote:
You may be right on the steering wheel - I've been looking for the review video where I saw the color stitched wheel. I can't seem to find it now.
I think giving up the heating was well worth it for the improved wheel. The improved profile and tactile aspects of it likely wouldnt work with the heating. My guess is that if there is something out there that has the tri-color stitching and heating, its just the base wheel with new stitching.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2022, 12:46 PM   #39
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think giving up the heating was well worth it for the improved wheel. The improved profile and tactile aspects of it likely wouldnt work with the heating. My guess is that if there is something out there that has the tri-color stitching and heating, its just the base wheel with new stitching.
Couldn't agree with you more! Feel and aesthetics are much more an important factor for me over heat, but again I live in the south where temperatures lean more towards the hot and hotter than cold.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2022, 04:49 PM   #40
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey brother, what was the BMW part number for the wheel you installed?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 05:02 PM   #41
m340ninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is the same wheel I got but without the extra dry carbon front trim.

32-30-2-462-910
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2022, 05:03 PM   #42
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is the same wheel I got but without the extra dry carbon front trim.

32-30-2-462-910
Gracias amigo!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 05:04 PM   #43
m340ninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gracias amigo!
https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...MtMGwtbDYtZ2Fz

Basically you can add bits and pieces as you wish. This is where I bought my whole setup from.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2022, 05:06 PM   #44
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Gracias amigo!
https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...MtMGwtbDYtZ2Fz

Basically you can add bits and pieces as you wish. This is where I bought my whole setup from.
Lol, I am looking as we speak! How do you like the wheel since it has been installed ?? Any complaints?
Appreciate 0