Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Headlight Fade - 2020 M340i

01-28-2022, 06:16 PM   #23
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnick101 View Post
After I just went out and looked at them I realized you are right. It's fogging from the inside which is kind of odd. Good point, I will be pointing that out to the dealer tomorrow. I also noticed its much more noticeable in my garage versus during the day at the dealer. The sunlight reflects off the inside and hides the fogginess a lot.
I would agree, the angle and lighting have a large factor on how the foggy area is interpreted. I'm curious to hear your experience tomorrow when you explain in detail to the service advisor of how the fading is on the interior of the light and just how the external elements can have such an effect!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 09:36 AM   #24
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I went to the dealer over the weekend. The service manager looked at it and he said he definitely sees the problem. He said if it was his choice he would definitely warranty them but it is not his choice. He said once a month they have a regional rep come to the dealer who is kind of like their "adjuster" per say. He said when he comes next time he will give me a heads up and he will have the rep look at it and take the info to the regional team. If they say yes, they will replace them. I did mention that these are burning from the inside. I told him if it was just the outside then I'll let them buff it right now. But if it doesn't go away I am not paying you for it. But after I said that he even agreed it's from the inside. But yeah lightning plays a big part in how it looks. It is also hard to get pictures of them properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 05:10 PM   #25
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I went to the dealer over the weekend. The service manager looked at it and he said he definitely sees the problem. He said if it was his choice he would definitely warranty them but it is not his choice. He said once a month they have a regional rep come to the dealer who is kind of like their "adjuster" per say. He said when he comes next time he will give me a heads up and he will have the rep look at it and take the info to the regional team. If they say yes, they will replace them. I did mention that these are burning from the inside. I told him if it was just the outside then I'll let them buff it right now. But if it doesn't go away I am not paying you for it. But after I said that he even agreed it's from the inside. But yeah lightning plays a big part in how it looks. It is also hard to get pictures of them properly.
This is great new my friend, much better than them telling you to go and punch sand! Did they state when the area rep would be in town and available for an in-depth inspection? I was going to contact BMW USA Today and start a claim but ran out of time 😞

I am glad to hear the service manager is in agreement and willing to go the extra mile with you! Hopefully he/she has a good rapport with the area rep and you will be able to finally get your lights replaced!

Keep me posted
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 01:00 PM   #26
xnick101
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Definitely start a claim. The more claims the better on this issue. And he doesn't know the exact time when the rep comes. They just get a few days' heads up when he will show up and they want my car to be there when he shows up. Let's see how this goes. Will keep you updated.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 03:40 PM   #27
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely start a claim. The more claims the better on this issue. And he doesn't know the exact time when the rep comes. They just get a few days' heads up when he will show up and they want my car to be there when he shows up. Let's see how this goes. Will keep you updated.
Wanted to let you know I was finally able to start a claim with BMW North America this afternoon (was on hold for almost 2hrs but it's all good)

We shall see what comes of it. I'm very curious to know the outcome on your end once the BMW representative visually verifies in person.

Keep me posted!
Appreciate 4
      02-18-2022, 08:57 AM   #28
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So the final verdict from BMW of North America has been rendered - "unfortunately your warranty has been denied" which does not surprise me in any way.

I am going to contact a few custom shops other forum members have utilized on their headlights and verify the cost for removing the lens and correcting the issue or even replacing the lens.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress.
Appreciate 2
jpowers36218.00
xnick101650.50
      02-18-2022, 03:51 PM   #29
xnick101
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Dam that's rough. I have almost zero progress with mine. The dealer never called me back to tell me the rep was ever coming. I am almost giving up on it at this point.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 04:01 PM   #30
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dam that's rough. I have almost zero progress with mine. The dealer never called me back to tell me the rep was ever coming. I am almost giving up on it at this point.
Again, why does your story not surprise me! To be honest I was surprised I even received a return call. In addition to the denied claim, I also found extremely interesting was each person I spoke with at BMW asked me the same question "what was the proposed cost from the dealer to replace the headlight assemblies", that is when I knew the writing was on the wall. Anytime cost is the focal point prior to any additional discussions, then you might as well throw in the towel.

On a more positive note, I was able to speak to Meir over at OneEighty and he is able to obtain brand new factory replacement lenses at a very affordable price. In the near future I am going to ship OneEighty my light assemblies and have them replace the lenses at the same time they are performing a few custom cosmetic modifications. He also stated the factory lenses have a special coating applied to the interior section of the lens, which does not allow for any form of sanding or buffing.

I know this is more out of pocket expenses, especially when BMW should take full ownership and warranty a defective part, but at least there is an alternative 😎😎
Appreciate 1
xnick101650.50
      02-18-2022, 11:52 PM   #31
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
So the final verdict from BMW of North America has been rendered - "unfortunately your warranty has been denied" which does not surprise me in any way.
Did BMW corporate give you a reason for why they are denying your warranty claim?
      02-19-2022, 06:33 AM   #32
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post
Quote:
Did BMW corporate give you a reason for why they are denying your warranty claim?
Their claim was very vague but went something like this "after speaking with both our local representative and the dealership, our decision to warrant a denial to your claim is based upon two factors:

1. Customer misuse of their vehicle by allowing the vehicle to remain for long or extended periods within the environmental elements (aka the sun)
2. Customer purchased the vehicle via a third-party and not via a BMW facility

I just laughed and politely told him thank you for his "efforts". So BMW is stating that their vehicles are not suited to be driven or parked in the sun?! Give me a break! And what does the purchase of a vehicle through a non-related BMW establishment have anything to do with the condition of the vehicle…..I'm sure they would state other establishments do not support the same rigid inspection standards as BMW.

It is what it is! At this point I'm going to travel in a different direction since I know BMW is not going to pony up and do the right thing
Appreciate 3
danallxt738.50
xnick101650.50
      03-18-2022, 02:37 PM   #33
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Its comforting to know that BMW considers keeping your vehicle in anything but a climate controlled enclosure is considered "misuse". And then make sure you venture out of that enclosure only on cloudy days.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2022, 05:05 PM   #34
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Its comforting to know that BMW considers keeping your vehicle in anything but a climate controlled enclosure is considered "misuse". And then make sure you venture out of that enclosure only on cloudy days.
Lol, my thoughts exactly!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 05:59 PM   #35
xnick101
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I thought about lawyering up on this just because, but I am too lazy. They are just giving us runarounds because the headlights are $6000 and they don't want to pay for it. Its been 3.5 months and I still have not received a call to come in to meet the regional rep to take a look at it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 09:42 AM   #36
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought about lawyering up on this just because, but I am too lazy. They are just giving us runarounds because the headlights are $6000 and they don't want to pay for it. Its been 3.5 months and I still have not received a call to come in to meet the regional rep to take a look at it.
I would agree, the cost to replace definitely seems to be the stumbling point for BMW. Retaining an attorney would most likely gain their attention but could result in backlash depending on how much they decide to dig their heels in. Lol, if I had endless funds I'd definitely use the attorney approach (for principle only &#128526 but since I'm not in the 1% of the 1%, I'll use those attorney funds to enhance my current light assemblies.

I still can't believe no one has contacted you regarding this matter. I'm sure they're playing the waiting game to see if you give up vs proceed with traction!

Regardless, keep me posted on your progress!
Appreciate 1
xnick101650.50
      03-19-2022, 09:45 AM   #37
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterBanks View Post
Might be worth making a complaint to the Attorney General's office and BBBin the State where you live. You might also want to look into seeing if you State has a Lemon law and what the requirements are to qualify.
Establishing a complaint with the BBB "might" have some sway but most likely not worth the time (been there done that with another establishment); an application of the lemon law will not be applicable for this scenario.
Appreciate 1
xnick101650.50
      03-25-2022, 11:38 AM   #38
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterBanks View Post
In my state of the vehicle is out of service "X" number of days or taken back to the dealer "X" times for the same issue it will invoke the Lemon Law.
Here in Texas there are a number of prerequisites that must be established - see provided link:

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/cons...tion/lemon-law

With the information provided via the link, it would be extremely difficult to invoke the lemon law on headlights that are slightly faded and pose no serious safety concerns.

As stated by myself and others, it's easier to go and play on another playground than to try and win this argument - just not worth the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 06:41 AM   #39
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey brother - wanted to give you a quick update. Last month a took my car to another local dealership who has a much better reputation than the previous dealership. The SA, GSM and technician all agreed the internal headlight fade I was experiencing was applicable to warranty. After 4weeks of waiting on approval from the regional BMW representative the dealership finally gained approval to replace via warranty. I can say with absolute certainty, BMW is hesitant on replacement but it can be achieved. Received the car back yesterday and the new lights look great! Hopefully this will encourage you to try again, but with a different dealership.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2022, 11:26 AM   #40
xnick101
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey brother - wanted to give you a quick update. Last month a took my car to another local dealership who has a much better reputation than the previous dealership. The SA, GSM and technician all agreed the internal headlight fade I was experiencing was applicable to warranty. After 4weeks of waiting on approval from the regional BMW representative the dealership finally gained approval to replace via warranty. I can say with absolute certainty, BMW is hesitant on replacement but it can be achieved. Received the car back yesterday and the new lights look great! Hopefully this will encourage you to try again, but with a different dealership.

That's awesome man! I am glad they were able to fix that for you! I was at that point where the BMW representative was supposed to come look at my car. They told me they would call me when he was going to visit. But no one ever called me back on it and BMW corporate never called me back about it either. I totally gave up on that whole thing. I brought my car to the dealer and followed up so many times when I was trying. It was just a hassle I just gave up. But I'm happy it worked out for you!
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2022, 03:57 PM   #41
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Hey brother - wanted to give you a quick update. Last month a took my car to another local dealership who has a much better reputation than the previous dealership. The SA, GSM and technician all agreed the internal headlight fade I was experiencing was applicable to warranty.
It's encouraging to the rest of us that BMW sorted this out & did the right thing finally. Any idea of the diagnosis why this happened (e.g. manufacturing flaw for certain batch of these headlights)?
      09-18-2022, 04:38 PM   #42
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's awesome man! I am glad they were able to fix that for you! I was at that point where the BMW representative was supposed to come look at my car. They told me they would call me when he was going to visit. But no one ever called me back on it and BMW corporate never called me back about it either. I totally gave up on that whole thing. I brought my car to the dealer and followed up so many times when I was trying. It was just a hassle I just gave up. But I'm happy it worked out for you!
I wouldn't give up brother - I know it's taxing and frustrating all at the same time but it's definitely worth it when it all comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post

Quote:
Hey brother - wanted to give you a quick update. Last month a took my car to another local dealership who has a much better reputation than the previous dealership. The SA, GSM and technician all agreed the internal headlight fade I was experiencing was applicable to warranty.
It's encouraging to the rest of us that BMW sorted this out & did the right thing finally. Any idea of the diagnosis why this happened (e.g. manufacturing flaw for certain batch of these headlights)?
To be honest I never inquired as to the exact diagnosis. It was early morning when I picked up the car and my SA was on vacation - I'll touch base with my SA and let you know what he says. I do agree, it is very encouraging to know BMW took accountability and stepped up to the plate to resolve the issue
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 02:56 AM   #43
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Congrats on the laser headlight replacement. They are $5,600-ish for a brand new pair from BMWpartspros (and the like). Buffing them, while that does help make them clear and remove the oxidation-like haze you're seeing, removes the UV coating and other protections that the headlights have. They'll just haze up again in a year or so and you'll be back doing it again. I don't recommend buffing these headlights if you can help it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 07:03 AM   #44
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
Congrats on the laser headlight replacement. They are $5,600-ish for a brand new pair from BMWpartspros (and the like). Buffing them, while that does help make them clear and remove the oxidation-like haze you're seeing, removes the UV coating and other protections that the headlights have. They'll just haze up again in a year or so and you'll be back doing it again. I don't recommend buffing these headlights if you can help it.
Appreciate the kind words! Keep in mind the fading was located internally to the lens not externally, which does not allow for buffing - hence the reason for the replacement.
Appreciate 0