Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Is QuickJack safe?

06-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #23
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Have used one for over four years without issue, it is a well built mechanism. I know many others who use them successfully as well

I always inspect the jack frame, mounting area and lockout bars before working near or underneath the car. As i assume one does with jack stands, ramps, etc. as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #24
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
I think OP is just looking for a reason to "justify" the fact that he wont be buying a quickjack, because of one story that it failed on someone
I got the same feeling!

I love mine. Say what you will, but it is quick, effective, and safer for me as I have issues resting the car on the jack stands as they don't quite fit the jack pads.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:15 PM   #25
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

QJ specifically states that the jacks are not designed for people to work UNDER the vehicle. It states that you must supplement with jack stands at vehicle lift points (oxymoron?).

It's a big CYA statement.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      06-17-2019, 08:54 PM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
QJ specifically states that the jacks are not designed for people to work UNDER the vehicle. It states that you must supplement with jack stands at vehicle lift points (oxymoron?).

My Rotary 2-post lift DOES NOT say that.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 06:09 AM   #27
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post

My Rotary 2-post lift DOES NOT say that.
Nor should it since your 2-post lift has a different audience.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #28
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Have had my 135i, RX350 (4400 #) and Colorad (4300#) up in air and felt much more comfortable under Quick Jack than with 4 jackstands. And much easier to move around than working with 2 stands.
In addition, it takes me 10-15 min to screw around with jack and jack stands to get 135i up in the air. So much plastic and the jacking points all cause concern.
I think it is clear in pictures, but the hook on the end of the arm in contact with tabs in the rails are what hold things. Cams are simply to aid in getting arms released when you want to to go down.
Assuming one honors the weight limits Quick Jack specifies, each arm is only holding up 2500# or 3500# on each side. Not hard to engineer with high strength or regular steel.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #29
steevmac
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328d Sedan & 328dx Sport Wagon

Hydraulics Destroyed

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #30
PKT RKT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

When I first bought my Quickjack, I lifted one of my cars off the ground with it, and then let the car/QJ rest on the locks for an entire weekend. I didn’t go anywhere near the car, I didn’t try to work on it, etc, I just wanted to be 100% certain that the QJ was going to be stout and secure. Sure enough, it has been excellent.

I still think it’s a good idea to put some jack stands under the QJ, so that in the event something fails, the jack stands may save the day.

But yes, I think the QJ is great.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #31
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

I keep wanting to get a set but always miss the damn costco sale. Supposedly there were suppose to be some sema specials going on but quick jack is terrible at replying to emails.
      11-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #32
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevmac View Post
video cutting hydraulics
hummm....wouldn't draining the hydraulic fluid have proved the same point
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #33
DrivingPassion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
I keep wanting to get a set but always miss the damn costco sale. Supposedly there were suppose to be some sema specials going on but quick jack is terrible at replying to emails.
I see ... so their pre-sales sucks?
I cannot wait to see their post-sales customer support.
      11-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #34
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPassion View Post
Apparently...Granted im not a current customer seeking actual help/repair but still. You would think that I would get some sort of response regardless of the question.
      11-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #35
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPassion View Post
You seem to be looking for any excuse not to buy the Quickjack, so I would recommend not buying the Quickjack.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #36
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
You sure the response slowdown isn't due to SEMA?

As an existing customer, and one that's had parts replaced under warranty, their support was just fine. I got replies same day/next day when I had my hydraulic pump unit replaced a bit more than a year ago.

BTW, if you're missing Costco sales, check Home Depot too. They now carry QJ as well and had the same sales going on.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #37
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
You sure the response slowdown isn't due to SEMA?

As an existing customer, and one that's had parts replaced under warranty, their support was just fine. I got replies same day/next day when I had my hydraulic pump unit replaced a bit more than a year ago.

BTW, if you're missing Costco sales, check Home Depot too. They now carry QJ as well and had the same sales going on.
Its very possible. To be fair their customer support team got back to me within a few hours today, it seems its the sales/marketing team that cant be bothered.

Will do! I know Ive seen the BL-5000SLX for go $999.00 on costco a few times so Im just waiting for that to roll around again.
      11-12-2019, 12:07 AM   #38
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I never liked using jack stands. It's the raising of it and balancing the 4 corners is too finicky.
QJ is easy. It lifts all four corners at the same time. It raises higher than regular jackstands and is stable. I generally push the car by leaning my weight on it after it is locked in place. Like others say, feel free to place jack stands underneath as necessary.

I really like the QJ's small footprint. Out of sight out of mind. I have contemplated a four-post and two-post but they are hideous even in my 14ft high garage.

Look nothing's ever guaranteed. If you gotta go you gotta go. Underneath a car, burned alive in an EV, plane crash, contracting fatal disease through hand shake, a stray rottweiler going at your jugular on your morning latte stroll....
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #39
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I've been looking at MaxJax. This seems the best option where you're getting the benefits of a side post lift without the typical needed garage space requirements.

https://www.maxjaxusa.com/buy-purcha...d-package.html
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #40
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I've been looking at MaxJax. This seems the best option where you're getting the benefits of a side post lift without the typical needed garage space requirements.

https://www.maxjaxusa.com/buy-purcha...d-package.html
I thought about that at one time, but the larger storage requirements, less flexibility in positioning, greater setup time, and greater difficulty maneuvering (each column is 300lbs) made me think it wasn't worth it over getting a "real" lift for my next house. The QJ fit the profile for serving me better till then. The higher lift height of the MaxJax is definitely nice though.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #41
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbluemn View Post
Seems like your car is too high and it's time to lower it. With a lowered car, jack stand has a few more steps. If you have a longer splitter (3-5 inch), it will take you more than 10 mins to jack it up.

BTW, quickjack will jack up a few inch higher, and that's the few inches make difference. Have you work under a car that need to hammer something off or shake something stuck there? Try it on jack stands with full extension (it's why ppl don't recommend using jack stand at full height).

Another question is how do you put your jack stand? Under OEM plastic jack point? I would assume you need some sort of adapter, and it needs to be rubber that not to slip. Most jack stand with V shape top section is hard to fit into OEM location. The rubber adapter is hard to find (no doubt you can DIY one). The round top jack stands are very expensive and those are not universal fitment.

All above head ache fine, you can solve it. But have you installed/leveled any of splitter or alignment adjustment or some suspension height adjust that need jack up and down a few times only to change a small thing?

Quickjack is also portable. Have you worked on race track while it's 90F outside? I prefer press a button to finish part of the job.
I agree with your point on lowered car with lips takes more like 20 mins than 2. I have to go on ramps first and if I full lift the front I won't have enough clearance for lifting the rear, so kinda of have to go back and forth 2 times.

But the jack stand point is completely un true. I uve V groove stands and if you rotate them to be in line with the blocks they fit perfectly. No adapter and no slippage.

My only gripe is it's benefits (in a home garage at least, no track) is not worth the price tag. It's almost halfway into a actual lift.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #42
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I thought about that at one time, but the larger storage requirements, less flexibility in positioning, greater setup time, and greater difficulty maneuvering (each column is 300lbs) made me think it wasn't worth it over getting a "real" lift for my next house. The QJ fit the profile for serving me better till then. The higher lift height of the MaxJax is definitely nice though.
Some people installed multiple anchors in their concrete floor to accommodate different positions. I was thinking about doing this. Not sure if moving the columns are that difficult. From the Youtube videos I've seen, people have been able to move them around without much problem.

With my current home/garage which I don't have any intention of selling for a while, I have limited ceiling height for a traditional 2 post lift. There's a bulkhead running along the middle of the garage with a metal I-beam in it supporting part of the second floor. The MaxJax gives me the flexibility of a 2 post lift in my constrained garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #43
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Re: MaxJack.... unless you are a Hobbit, you still have to crouch down or lie down to work on the car. The former is bad for your back.

MaxJack may have the same concrete strength requirements as the 2-post lift. Check mfg requirements.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #44
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Re: MaxJack.... unless you are a Hobbit, you still have to crouch down or lie down to work on the car. The former is bad for your back.

MaxJack may have the same concrete strength requirements as the 2-post lift. Check mfg requirements.
Wouldn't you be able to just stroll around on a chair with wheels.
Appreciate 0