Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 330e problem closing hood

01-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
AbsolutRufuus
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330e G20

330e problem closing hood

Hi,

I'm going to try to explain this as good as I can. I opened my hood today to double check what engine code I have (330e and it was the B model, so thats nice!). But when closing the hood the right side wouldn't close properly. The left side lines up perfectly though (see pictures). I couldn't figure out what the issue was but after looking for a while I think that a spring is missing from the right side closing mechanism for the hood that holds up a kind of lever. And since this spring is missing I'm unable to close the hood on the right side of the car. I'll attach some photos so you guys can see for yourselves. I circled the spring properly mounted on the left side and also on the right side where I believe it's missing.

Anyone believes that this is the issue? Or if you can see if you've got these springs on both sides of your car? I'm guessing they somehow forgot to intall it from factory since this was my first time opening the hood at all. I contacted my local BMW reseller and the service department was going to give me a call back but they never did so I'll give them a call tomorrow again I guess.

Side note: I have no idea why the last two pictures are in landscape mode, sorry about that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Pouya0.00
      01-27-2020, 03:25 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

My 330i has the EXACT same issue. I noticed it first when I opened the hood for the first time a month back to fill up wiper fluid. The bloody thing wouldn’t close perfectly on the left (when you’re looking at the car from the front) side (passenger side here in America). At first, I thought I didn’t close the lid of the wiper fluid tank since that’s where the opening is. I opened it and checked and saw that that was not the case. Tried again. Same thing. Opened it and closed it with more force and it closed properly.
Reopened the hood a few weeks later to install the JB+. Same issue when I let it close using normal force (letting the hood fall by itself). I either have to press extra hard on the left side or close the hood with more force for it to latch.

PS - I haven’t checked inside the hood for that missing spring. I just assumed that was how it locks on this BMW and since it didn’t bother me much, I let it go. But I’ll check again later today and see if my car has a missing spring too.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
Pouya0.00
      01-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
AbsolutRufuus
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
My 330i has the EXACT same issue. I noticed it first when I opened the hood for the first time a month back to fill up wiper fluid. The bloody thing wouldn’t close perfectly on the left (when you’re looking at the car from the front) side (passenger side here in America). At first, I thought I didn’t close the lid of the wiper fluid tank since that’s where the opening is. I opened it and checked and saw that that was not the case. Tried again. Same thing. Opened it and closed it with more force and it closed properly.
Reopened the hood a few weeks later to install the JB+. Same issue when I let it close using normal force (letting the hood fall by itself). I either have to press extra hard on the left side or close the hood with more force for it to latch.

PS - I haven’t checked inside the hood for that missing spring. I just assumed that was how it locks on this BMW and since it didn’t bother me much, I let it go. But I’ll check again later today and see if my car has a missing spring too.
Wow! I didn't think anyone else had this issue. I tried using more force to close it but I'm afraid pushing much harder will damage the hood. I'll let you know what the BMW dealer says tomorrow if I can get a hold of them. But it would be great if you could look for that spring and see if you're missing it too. And maybe if someone who doesn't have this issue can have a look at their car if they have the spring or if that's just the way the car is built.

Thanks for your quick reply!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutRufuus View Post
Wow! I didn't think anyone else had this issue. I tried using more force to close it but I'm afraid pushing much harder will damage the hood. I'll let you know what the BMW dealer says tomorrow if I can get a hold of them. But it would be great if you could look for that spring and see if you're missing it too. And maybe if someone who doesn't have this issue can have a look at their car if they have the spring or if that's just the way the car is built.

Thanks for your quick reply!
You’re welcome. And I thought ALL G20s closed this way. So I didn’t bother posting about it Now I’m curious how it works for the others.
I was also afraid to press on the hood in case I manage to dent it (the hood did seem to cave in a bit when I pressed hard to try and close it - which was why I reopened it and then let it drop with more force).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
AbsolutRufuus
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
You’re welcome. And I thought ALL G20s closed this way. So I didn’t bother posting about it Now I’m curious how it works for the others.
I was also afraid to press on the hood in case I manage to dent it (the hood did seem to cave in a bit when I pressed hard to try and close it - which was why I reopened it and then let it drop with more force).
If all G20s close this way it's stupid, such bad construction if that's the case (and I've always loved BMW for their build quality). I might go outside and try again since you said you did manage to close it. Even if I manage to close it I'll still talk to BMW because it can't be normal to have to use so much force to close it, and only on one side as well.

Edit/Update: Went out side and tried again. Used the palm of my hand on the BMW logo on the hood to add some more force. Closed perfectly. Makes me feel kind of stupid, but still a bit annoyed because it doesn't feel like you should need that much pressure to close it and risk denting it.

Last edited by AbsolutRufuus; 01-27-2020 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If all G20s close this way it's stupid, such bad construction if that's the case (and I've always loved BMW for their build quality). I might go outside and try again since you said you did manage to close it. Even if I manage to close it I'll still talk to BMW because it can't be normal to have to use so much force to close it, and only on one side as well.

Edit/Update: Went out side and tried again. Used the palm of my hand on the BMW logo on the hood to add some more force. Closed perfectly. Makes me feel kind of stupid, but still a bit annoyed because it doesn't feel like you should need that much pressure to close it and risk denting it.
Yup. That's what I do. Use a little extra force near the BMW roundel to close it properly. And I just checked the mechanism in my car and it looks slightly different compared to yours. Or does it? It had me confused

Edit - first pic is the mechanism on the left (driver's side in LHD car). Second pic is the mechanism on the right (passenger side in LHD car). No idea why the pic posted in landscape mode.
Attached Images

2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #7
Tokke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d Msport

It is the same on my G01 X3. You just have to close it with some force. I never had this issue on my F30, but i notice the hood is much lighter on my G01 compared to the F30. I assume they changed the hood from steel to aluminum to save weight. I guess the same applies for the G20.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Same here. I don't "drop" the hood anymore. I just lay it in place and press down on the hood just above each headlight firmly. Closes nice and easy that way. Just don't push down too far up the hood or you could dent it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Yup. Looks like I have to change my method. In my Audis, I let it go down slowly almost till the end and then leave it. It closes perfectly with that little extra force from the hood strut. In my old VWs with no strut under the hood, I lay it on the lock and then gently push and that was enough. Even in my X3, I don’t remember having any issues letting it close normally (“normally” to me). Guess I have to adapt the method Burrcold mentioned.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:58 AM   #10
AbsolutRufuus
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Could be that I'm just not used to it. I've had a 5-series F11, a couple of Audis and a Volvo and I've never had to use this kind of preassure before. But it might be as Tokke says, that they changed the hood to aluminium to cut the weight and that's what makes it feel different.

I really just want to be gentle and take good care of the car, haha!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #11
The Outrage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I have the same issue as well. I think it's due to:
  • A very light hood
  • A very flexible hood
  • An excessively sprung latching mechanism
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #12
The Outrage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Could be that I'm just not used to it. I've had a 5-series F11, a couple of Audis and a Volvo and I've never had to use this kind of preassure before. But it might be as Tokke says, that they changed the hood to aluminium to cut the weight and that's what makes it feel different.

I really just want to be gentle and take good care of the car, haha!
I think BMW designed a lighter hood but didn't redesign the latching mechanism to compensate.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      01-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #13
joselrl
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e 2019

I didn't see this as a problem, I had the habit of making force to close the hood not just let it go down...

For curiosity I searched the manual and it does say to make force on both ends to close the hood, first BMW I own tho, so I don't know what kind of force it used to be supposed to use in the previous models
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #14
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The G20 hood is aluminum like most if not all CLAR vehicles. The manual clearly states it has to be "energetically" closed from 20in above the closed position.

Most steel hoods can be dropped like in the F30 and that's how I close it. The G20 and my G05 X5 has to be slammed shut from about 2 ft above the closed position. It's completely normal and has nothing to do with build quality.

Do NOT push down on the hood if it doesn't latch all the way. It can easily dent. Just open it back up and put some muscle into it.

Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1936.50
      02-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #15
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
The G20 hood is aluminum like most if not all CLAR vehicles. The manual clearly states it has to be "energetically" closed from 20in above the closed position.

Most steel hoods can be dropped like in the F30 and that's how I close it. The G20 and my G05 X5 has to be slammed shut from about 2 ft above the closed position. It's completely normal and has nothing to do with build quality.

Do NOT push down on the hood if it doesn't latch all the way. It can easily dent. Just open it back up and put some muscle into it.

That’s exactly how I close it. Applying pressure above the headlight area seems to make it flex and I don’t want it to dent. So I use a little extra force while dropping it (I don’t slam it from the full open position). That seems to work for me.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #16
Mattg680
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

2019 G20 Hood Not Fully Latching

He guys, thought I would chime in here on this subject. I recently replaced my grill and inadvertently adjusted/removed what appears to be two height adjustment screws for the grill. I thought that I needed to do this for the grill removal.

That said, I got the new grill in and replaced the adjustment screws still not knowing actually what they were for and found that my hood would not fully secure to the secondary latch.

It took me awhile but finally realized that the adjustment screws raised or lowered the entire grill assembly and I had them all the way tight which was making the grill sit higher, keeping the hood from latching.

Once I figured this out it was plain to see they are used to set the height of the hood when closed. Too much and the hood was below the fender line. Vice versa and it doesn’t latch.

Thought I would share this info as I searched on the web and didn’t find the answers. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
VipinLJ1936.50
UK678.50
      02-10-2021, 04:36 PM   #17
MassiveKidneyGrille
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW330e

hey guys, had same issue - left side of the hood did not lock well on my brand new BMW 330. So I went to the dealer.

First of all, there is no issue with the lock. Left lock has no spring, right lock has the spring. it is normal.

Second, issue was solved by adjusting one single screw on the left latch of the bonnet. You basically have to make it a bit longer, so that it engages the lock correctly.

have fun and enjoy your Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 05:50 AM   #18
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Thanks for the pics Mattg680 no idea the grill can be lowered and after replacing mine with the 340i one, I can see it ever so slightly higher (small gap right under the grill camera) so will try to lower it a bit.

As far as closing the lid I just let it drop from about half way open, wouldn't try pushing on it as it seems like it would easily bend.
Appreciate 0