Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion The Democratic Presidential Candidate Debates May Well Be an Interview

06-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #133
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Okay, so everyone pays Social Security and everyone gets it back when they get old (and poor apparently) - screw the poor I say, screw 'em - I mean isn't that what we learned in our Eagle Projects? (Tony will get that one...). And yeah it's a "flat" tax. Whooptie doooptie doooo.

But I specifically said "income tax". And everyone has to pay property taxes and gas taxes, and sales taxes - flat taxes all... But do Wealthy people get more benefit from any of those taxes than Middleclass people? They get to use the same parks, drive the same roads, and eat the same snack food. The Wealthy pay more of these taxes than Middleclass people simply because they spend more on these taxed items - bigger more expensive houses, more fuel (for the Bentley, er... 7-series), and more expensive clothes (from Saks 5th Avenue). Seems to me to be fair.

And let's raise the corporate tax to 90% because that'll help the economy.

So if we change the SS Tax to one that is in alignment with the income tax rate structure, you'd be in favor of the Rich folk getting their fair share back that they paid in, right?
Red:
The point of my mentioning that payroll taxes are flat taxes is that everyone who works pays them; thus everyone should be able to see the inequity of the impact of a flat tax. In spite of what every worker should be able to see and thus extrapolate to their own circumstances re: income tax, a large share of "everyone" still favor a flat income tax. This despite the fact that "everyone" is not rich and "everyone" is more likely to be on the short end of the fairness stick when it comes to flat income tax rates.

Now I don't know about you, but I think that when people see that a given policy, especially tax policy, is clearly unfair to them, they will oppose that policy, regardless of how much impact it has on corporate growth. I think that in the abstract, people will prefer slower growth in an equitable environment over faster growth at their expense.

My explanation of why so many people -- more people than are wealthy (household income of $500K+/year) -- favor flat taxes is because they don't actually understand them fully. I think most people don't fully understand the nature of what they want when they support a flat tax because I think most people don't fully understand economics, macroeconomics in particular. (https://www.minneapolisfed.org/publi...tand-economics)

If I thought that most folks have a strong understanding of economics and they still advocated for a flat tax, I'd say, "fine, let's have a flat tax." I'd say that because my personal situation is such that I come out ahead in terms of not only the absolute sum of taxes I'd have to pay, but also because the qualitative impact on my lifestyle would be lower.

I oppose a flat tax now, not because I think it's bad for me, for I know it's not bad for me. I oppose them now because I know that even though I pay a high tax rate, I can afford to do so and not have my lifestyle suffer as a result and my paying at a higher rate is beneficial for a lot of folks who are far worse off than I. My opposition to a flat income tax is morally based, not financially based.

Blue:
If SS Tax were assessed against all one's income as is Medicare, yes, one should receive SS benefits commensurate with what one contributes, that is, if one pays more into SS, one's monthly SS retirement benefit payment should be "more."

Do SS retirement pay recipients today not receive payments commensurate with their contributions? (http://www.urban.org/sites/default/f...a-Lifetime.PDF)

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 04:42 AM   #134
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Red:
The point of my mentioning that payroll taxes are flat taxes is that everyone who works pays them; thus everyone should be able to see the inequity of the impact of a flat tax. In spite of what every worker should be able to see and thus extrapolate to their own circumstances re: income tax, a large share of "everyone" still favor a flat income tax. This despite the fact that "everyone" is not rich and "everyone" is more likely to be on the short end of the fairness stick when it comes to flat income tax rates.

Now I don't know about you, but I think that when people see that a given policy, especially tax policy, is clearly unfair to them, they will oppose that policy, regardless of how much impact it has on corporate growth. I think that in the abstract, people will prefer slower growth in an equitable environment over faster growth at their expense.

My explanation of why so many people -- more people than are wealthy (household income of $500K+/year) -- favor flat taxes is because they don't actually understand them fully. I think most people don't fully understand the nature of what they want when they support a flat tax because I think most people don't fully understand economics, macroeconomics in particular. (https://www.minneapolisfed.org/publi...tand-economics)

If I thought that most folks have a strong understanding of economics and they still advocated for a flat tax, I'd say, "fine, let's have a flat tax." I'd say that because my personal situation is such that I come out ahead in terms of not only the absolute sum of taxes I'd have to pay, but also because the qualitative impact on my lifestyle would be lower.

I oppose a flat tax now, not because I think it's bad for me, for I know it's not bad for me. I oppose them now because I know that even though I pay a high tax rate, I can afford to do so and not have my lifestyle suffer as a result and my paying at a higher rate is beneficial for a lot of folks who are far worse off than I. My opposition to a flat income tax is morally based, not financially based.

Blue:
If SS Tax were assessed against all one's income as is Medicare, yes, one should receive SS benefits commensurate with what one contributes, that is, if one pays more into SS, one's monthly SS retirement benefit payment should be "more."

Do SS retirement pay recipients today not receive payments commensurate with their contributions? (http://www.urban.org/sites/default/f...a-Lifetime.PDF)

All the best.
I think the point missed in your thinking is you look at it from a personal perspective and how paying "just a little bit more" that is your "fair share" affects your lifestyle. Whereas I am looking at taxes on how they affect the economy.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #135
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

In light of recent events, one has to wonder just what/how much information may have been leaked (intentionally or not) from Hillary's server? Her closest longtime aid may also be worthy of deeper investigation - Huma Abedin has deep ties to the Muslim Brotherhood, etc.:

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/i...asp?indid=2556