Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals Demo: BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant in the G20 3 Series

10-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #23
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I don't think this means much in the real world. You have to wonder why car companies are spending so much money on these type of gimmicks that go unused. The next time you talk to a BMW genius, ask them how much of their time is spent just pairing Bluetooth phones for customers. You may or may not be shocked.

On a side note, the G20 feels very grown up, doesn't it? It's nice to see some of the quality design and materials from the 5 and 7 finally trickle down to the 3.
Appreciate 1
Fritzer942.50
      10-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #24
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

She can sit in my car and be my assistant anytime
Appreciate 1
Fritzer942.50
      10-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #25
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

I don't see any downsides to this. I can set my home thermostat with my voice, why not my car's without taking my eyes off the road?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #26
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

This is great for those who may have physical motor disability(s). My business partner would enjoy using this
      10-23-2018, 02:04 AM   #27
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Exclamation

Yeah.... This is really stupid. Only literal brainlets would see this as some sort of positive feature. What is BMW thinking!? The option will surely age well... It seems that they don't care about producing cars to last many years now, only the two year lease term before the consumer throws it away and gets the next new toy. Ridiculous, and frankly shameful. There is so much useful tech that can be introduced to cars in today's world, yet they bother with this garbage.
      10-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #28
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Yeah.... This is really stupid. Only literal brainlets would see this as some sort of positive feature. What is BMW thinking!? The option will surely age well... It seems that they don't care about producing cars to last many years now, only the two year lease term before the consumer throws it away and gets the next new toy. Ridiculous, and frankly shameful. There is so much useful tech that can be introduced to cars in today's world, yet they bother with this garbage.
Name some useful tech, please. I'm curious what you think may be useful that others would think only a "brainlet" would like.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #29
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Name some useful tech, please. I'm curious what you think may be useful that others would think only a "brainlet" would like.
You need me to walk you through advancements in automotive technology since the last generation of 3-series?

Sorry, but I'm not too fond of having a microphone inside my car always listening and transmitting data through a cellular network, having artificial sound pumped through the speakers, electronic e-brake, collision and lane control(lmao), automatic-updates to your computer, or any other frivolous toys that violate the original automotive ethos of BMW and driving enthusiasm. If you think those things are positives in a car you should be buying the new Hyundai or Chevy commuter - maybe a Tesla, not a BMW. The morons who suck up this garbage are the ones who give BMWs a bad name in the first place, don't know how to drive or follow basic rules of the road, etc. The mindless yuppies who have to have the newest iPhone.

Sure those things are fine for a commuter, someone who doesn't really care about driving, "normie" if you will. But having those things that intrude on a raw driving experience while going for "the ultimate driving machine" is pretty ridiculous to me. All-in-all, every new release feels like BMW is going farther and farther in the wrong direction.(In my opinion)

Last edited by Fritzer; 10-23-2018 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      10-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #30
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
You need me to walk you through advancements in automotive technology since the last generation of 3-series?

Sorry, but I'm not too fond of having a microphone inside my car always listening and transmitting data through a cellular network. Or having artificial sound pumped through the speakers. Or any other frivolous toys that violate the original automotive ethos of BMW and driving enthusiasm. If you think those things are positives in a car you should be buying the new Hyundai or Chevy commuter, not a BMW.
No.

I'd like you to answer the point you made - there is some much useful stuff that can be brought yet this is what they do. Now are you comparing this to what has actually been delivered over the years. The presence of this doesn't negate what BMW and others have provided in the past. Please name the other new advances that BMW should bring, instead of this.

Likewise, BMW doesn't fire an entire team of people doing other car stuff so they can focus on voice control and UI design. Perhaps redistribute money and resources but a car is still a car, has to look good and ride well etc.

Others in this thread have commented it would be useful - the world is moving to voice-control and one of the logical next steps (providing it is well-designed) is cars.

Fine if you don't like it and refuse to accept that it will be present in more and more cars. I wish you the best of luck when you come to buy a new or nearly-new car in 5 years or so.

You will always have the choice of buying current or last-gen cars and accept the pros and cons that go with that.

Not everyone likes piped-in engine noise but something that makes my driving experience a bit nicer and I can turn it on/off if I feel like it, why not?
Appreciate 0