Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Turning off Auto Start/Stop?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-27-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
phillyd2
First Lieutenant
153
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE, PA

iTrader: (0)

Turning off Auto Start/Stop?

I havenít seen it but assume it has the feature. But can it be disabled? And like before can it stay off per the last state?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
MT4life
Lieutenant
MT4life's Avatar
564
Rep
584
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Carolinas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
I havenít seen it but assume it has the feature. But can it be disabled? And like before can it stay off per the last state?
I'm sure it can be coded out with bimmercode just like on F30.
Appreciate 1
clee1982650.50

      02-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
penet05
Private
14
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 2014 X5 Sdrive35i, 2013 328i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
I haven’t seen it but assume it has the feature. But can it be disabled? And like before can it stay off per the last state?
New X5s needed to be coded by Bimmercode. I anticipate the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
2089
Rep
5,469
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

It is set to remember the last setting by default on F30 LCI so it is likely the same on G20
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
xlover
Major
No_Country
658
Rep
1,242
Posts

Drives: 2018 440 xdrive MPPSK
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 440 xdrive  [0.00]
this is a good question maybe NH_F36 can help us out by checking one on his lot?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
phillyd2
First Lieutenant
153
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
I'm sure it can be coded out with bimmercode just like on F30.
My F30 remembers if it was off the next time the car starts. Seem to remember the dealer coded it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
MT4life
Lieutenant
MT4life's Avatar
564
Rep
584
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Carolinas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
My F30 remembers if it was off the next time the car starts. Seem to remember the dealer coded it.
Probably the same setting as in bimmercode. I coded it out myself with bimmercode so I wouldn't have to push it off every time I started the car, which is the default setting on 2018
Speaking of bimmercode, it's the best mod ever to get for your car. So many little things you can change and turn on/off. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
bimmerbenz65
Private
27
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: JB 2018 F48 & AW 2019 F36
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

My 2015 F30, 18 X1, and 19 F36 all remember the last setting, meaning it is always off. I would hate to have to press the button every time I get in the car, an issue I hear about non stop from my father in his 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Appreciate 1
MT4life564.00

      02-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #9
phillyd2
First Lieutenant
153
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Probably the same setting as in bimmercode. I coded it out myself with bimmercode so I wouldn't have to push it off every time I started the car, which is the default setting on 2018
Speaking of bimmercode, it's the best mod ever to get for your car. So many little things you can change and turn on/off. Love it.
I just learned about it here and downloaded it. Previously I had a guy code a bunch of other stuff for me.

The ASS however was done at the dealership since I think so many complained about it.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
MT4life
Lieutenant
MT4life's Avatar
564
Rep
584
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Carolinas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
I just learned about it here and downloaded it. Previously I had a guy code a bunch of other stuff for me.

The ASS however was done at the dealership since I think so many complained about it.
Makes sense, that's pretty much what made me buy bimmercode and OBD adapter after a week of driving it. PITA.
Also the car sounds so much better with ASD turned off.
Best 50 dollars I ever spent on a car besides a $10 clutch stop
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #11
Mo@BMWofFairfax
Retired BMW Genius
Mo@BMWofFairfax's Avatar
United_States
2056
Rep
3,093
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DMV

iTrader: (1)

The F3x gen remembered your last setting. If you turned it off, it stayed off the next time you turned on the car.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #12
MT4life
Lieutenant
MT4life's Avatar
564
Rep
584
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Carolinas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
The F3x gen remembered your last setting. If you turned it off, it stayed off the next time you turned on the car.
Mine didn't, not in Sport mode anyway. Hence bimmercode to the rescue
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
phillyd2
First Lieutenant
153
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
The F3x gen remembered your last setting. If you turned it off, it stayed off the next time you turned on the car.
Mine was one of the first F30s in the States and back then there was no other option than always being on at start up.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
Mo@BMWofFairfax
Retired BMW Genius
Mo@BMWofFairfax's Avatar
United_States
2056
Rep
3,093
Posts

Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DMV

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
Mine was one of the first F30s in the States and back then there was no other option than always being on at start up.
Ah. You could get it coded at the dealership.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #15
xlover
Major
No_Country
658
Rep
1,242
Posts

Drives: 2018 440 xdrive MPPSK
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 440 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
The F3x gen remembered your last setting. If you turned it off, it stayed off the next time you turned on the car.
Mine didn't, not in Sport mode anyway. Hence bimmercode to the rescue
That's odd i have a 2018 f32 440 and active stop start remembers my last setting and stays off every time I turn the car off and on again. No matter if I switch between sport or comfort while driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 07:14 PM   #16
Ilyam5
Captain
482
Rep
768
Posts

Drives: 06 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ma

iTrader: (0)

Looks like G platforms will have it always on at start up - similar to new X5. It is an EPA mandate and can not be coded off by dealer.
Look at x5 board discussion. Coding new G platforms is complicated and not quite there yet. Some figured out how to code ASS to memory but the light stays on after car turns off.
Sport mode turns it off - is the only plus
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #17
phillyd2
First Lieutenant
153
Rep
388
Posts

Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SE, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Looks like G platforms will have it always on at start up - similar to new X5. It is an EPA mandate and can not be coded off by dealer.
Look at x5 board discussion. Coding new G platforms is complicated and not quite there yet. Some figured out how to code ASS to memory but the light stays on after car turns off.
Sport mode turns it off - is the only plus
Seriously doubt itís a epa mandate.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 07:27 PM   #18
MT4life
Lieutenant
MT4life's Avatar
564
Rep
584
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Carolinas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
That's odd i have a 2018 f32 440 and active stop start remembers my last setting and stays off every time I turn the car off and on again. No matter if I switch between sport or comfort while driving.
I don't know how to explain it. Maybe the build date since mine is July 2018.
But yeah it would not remember last setting and I'd have to do start, sport, ass off routine until I coded it out
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #19
xlover
Major
No_Country
658
Rep
1,242
Posts

Drives: 2018 440 xdrive MPPSK
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 440 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Looks like G platforms will have it always on at start up - similar to new X5. It is an EPA mandate and can not be coded off by dealer.
Look at x5 board discussion. Coding new G platforms is complicated and not quite there yet. Some figured out how to code ASS to memory but the light stays on after car turns off.
Sport mode turns it off - is the only plus
The EPA mandate is that the manufacturer cannot claim the mpg savings if it is not the default setting every start. I would rather they just have to publish that as a bright red notice on the maroney and give me the option of turning it off
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:29 AM   #20
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
113
Rep
411
Posts

Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Like other said on my '16 F30 it would remember my setting to have it off. In the default comfort mode it will stay off, sport mode won't stop the engine but it too will remember the setting (only difference is if the light is on next to the button and the cluster start/stop message will show) and eco pro will always have start/stop on by default in that mode.

From what I heard they had to make it start with it on to make the EPA happy. But it's nothing some coding can fix.
__________________

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi, 2013 Volkswagen CC Executive 4Motion
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #21
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
372
Rep
506
Posts

Drives: G30 530i/E36 M3/E39 M5
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Probably the same setting as in bimmercode. I coded it out myself with bimmercode so I wouldn't have to push it off every time I started the car, which is the default setting on 2018
Speaking of bimmercode, it's the best mod ever to get for your car. So many little things you can change and turn on/off. Love it.
The G series vehicles are different. My 2017 G30 by default remembers the last setting for ASs. The 2018 and later models do not retain the setting. They made the system more advanced in 2018 to anticipate whether you were at a stop sign or a stop light and if your are planning on turning. It does this based on GPS and other data. I believe 2018+ could be coded to remember the last setting but Iím not sure if bimmercode is capable. A guy on the forms, Almaretto has been coding the G30s to remember ASS among other things
Appreciate 1
clee1982650.50

      02-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #22
MT4life
Lieutenant
MT4life's Avatar
564
Rep
584
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Carolinas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
The G series vehicles are different. My 2017 G30 by default remembers the last setting for ASs. The 2018 and later models do not retain the setting. They made the system more advanced in 2018 to anticipate whether you were at a stop sign or a stop light and if your are planning on turning. It does this based on GPS and other data. I believe 2018+ could be coded to remember the last setting but I’m not sure if bimmercode is capable. A guy on the forms, Almaretto has been coding the G30s to remember ASS among other things
Hopefully bimmercode guys will figure it out. Disabling ASS is a must.
But it should be up to the driver to turn it on/off.

Wait, 1...2...3 champagne bronze 4 cylinder drivers are gonna jump
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.




g20
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST