Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions G20 laser lights retrofit - high beam malfunction warning

06-04-2022, 10:18 AM   #1
Ray B
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

G20 laser lights retrofit - high beam malfunction warning

I replaced adaptive LED with Laser lights on my G20. Added 5AZ to FA, removed 5A4. VO coded both FLM2 and BDC by "Detect CAF for SWE". Checked KAFAS - looks like detected CAFD matches actual. Everything seems to be working including high beams, but each time when I start engine it gives me "Left high beam malfunction, Right high beam malfunction" warnings, which stay. Any thoughts on what might be causing them and how to get rid of them?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #2
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
I replaced adaptive LED with Laser lights on my G20. Added 5AZ to FA, removed 5A4. VO coded both FLM2 and BDC by "Detect CAF for SWE". Checked KAFAS - looks like detected CAFD matches actual. Everything seems to be working including high beams, but each time when I start engine it gives me "Left high beam malfunction, Right high beam malfunction" warnings, which stay. Any thoughts on what might be causing them and how to get rid of them?
Get yourself a copy of (or access to) ISTA+ and run diagnostics to identify any errors/warnings. I think you may need to "teach-in" the new headlights.
      06-04-2022, 10:17 PM   #3
Ray B
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylam646 View Post
Get yourself a copy of (or access to) ISTA+ and run diagnostics to identify any errors/warnings. I think you may need to "teach-in" the new headlights.
Ok, will try that
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 03:04 AM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
I second the recommendation to scan car with ISTA+.

I will be in Los Angeles in a couple weeks if you still need assistance.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
Ray B
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I second the recommendation to scan car with ISTA+.

I will be in Los Angeles in a couple weeks if you still need assistance.
Would very appreciate help with diagnosing those errors. Let me know when and where and I will come by.

I wonder if it is looking for some advanced high beam related features like High Beam Assist which might be part of 5AZ in US, but which my car does not have. As I understand HBA requires separate button on the left stock, which I dont have.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 02:51 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Would very appreciate help with diagnosing those errors. Let me know when and where and I will come by.

I wonder if it is looking for some advanced high beam related features like High Beam Assist which might be part of 5AZ in US, but which my car does not have. As I understand HBA requires separate button on the left stock, which I dont have.
PM Sent.

On the 2021 Ordering Guide, 5AC was standard; but, maybe you have another year or there were part shortages. Yes, steering wheel column with HBA switch is needed if you want HBA.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 05:53 PM   #7
Ray B
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
PM Sent.

On the 2021 Ordering Guide, 5AC was standard; but, maybe you have another year or there were part shortages. Yes, steering wheel column with HBA switch is needed if you want HBA.
Mine is model year 2020, I checked ordering guide for that year - 5AZ and 5AC (Automatic High Beams) are both part of Executive Package which I dont have, so maybe it is looking for HBA. I dont need HBA, I just want it stop giving warnings
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 02:35 AM   #8
maximking
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
fixable this issue.common on laser retrofits . dm me
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2023, 06:11 AM   #9
Dzi dzi
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 M40i

Quote:
Hi.Tryna do a similar retrofit to a G20 ..Which diagnostic tool did you use for the retrofit and how did you resolve this issue if you have??
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 04:43 AM   #10
MaximK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10- Bimmer Works Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzi dzi View Post
Hi.Tryna do a similar retrofit to a G20 ..Which diagnostic tool did you use for the retrofit and how did you resolve this issue if you have??
You will need Esys and PsdZdata , in case need dm me i l send you the links for them
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 12:53 AM   #11
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximK View Post
You will need Esys and PsdZdata , in case need dm me i l send you the links for them
You retrofitted without ISTA as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 09:49 AM   #12
Faruk
Rep
Drives: 320si

Garage List
  [0.00]
Hello,
I am having a same issue. Retrofitted laser headlights to my normal adaptive light G20 without new stalk. Both headlights are working but right headlight is giving high beam fault. It seems that when I first open the vehicle, high beam bulb is moving up and down and then giving error. And after when I turn high beams, left high beam is moving as intended but right high beam is not moving at all. Did anybody now what can be the issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 05:14 AM   #13
MaximK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10- Bimmer Works Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faruk View Post
Hello,
I am having a same issue. Retrofitted laser headlights to my normal adaptive light G20 without new stalk. Both headlights are working but right headlight is giving high beam fault. It seems that when I first open the vehicle, high beam bulb is moving up and down and then giving error. And after when I turn high beams, left high beam is moving as intended but right high beam is not moving at all. Did anybody now what can be the issue?
yes , did u code the car with new FA ?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 07:53 AM   #14
viciousmo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80

Can you upgrade to lasers without the laser modules? I've read somewhere that you can code the LED modules.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 09:06 AM   #15
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousmo View Post
Can you upgrade to lasers without the laser modules? I've read somewhere that you can code the LED modules.
  1. Laser Diodes: BMW Laser Lights use a series of tiny laser diodes to generate the light. These diodes are made from a special type of semiconductor material that emits light when an electrical current is passed through it.
  2. Phosphorous Converter: The laser light is then passed through a phosphorous converter, which converts the blue laser light into a white light that is safe for use on the road.
  3. Mirrors and Lenses: The light is then directed through a series of mirrors and lenses to create a highly focused beam of light. This beam is then projected onto the road ahead, illuminating the driver's path with incredible clarity and precision.

Unless your car is a transformer, you cannot “code” LEDs into laser diodes and phosphorous gas.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 01:41 PM   #16
Faruk
Rep
Drives: 320si

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximK View Post
yes , did u code the car with new FA ?
Yes, I get support for remote coding. Left side works fine, right side is giving error after start up.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 06:24 PM   #17
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Did you figure out the issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 05:01 PM   #18
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

I’ve successfully retro fitted lasers to mine that previously just have adaptive.

Had to change the stalk and get a guy to remotely code it.

Quite a complicated procedure especially if HBA isn’t available from the connected store.

He managed to make it available to buy though.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 06:41 PM   #19
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post
I’ve successfully retro fitted lasers to mine that previously just have adaptive.

Had to change the stalk and get a guy to remotely code it.

Quite a complicated procedure especially if HBA isn’t available from the connected store.

He managed to make it available to buy though.
I have HBA + adaptive from the factory. Couple of questions for you:

Can the existing modules be swapped?
What coding changes did you make?

So far, I tried using the modules that came with the laser headlights, removed 552 and added 5AZ to the VO, but got DRL, low/high beam errors.

My old modules from my LED headlights in the laser headlights seem to work okay, but coded w/ 552 and not 5AZ. 5AZ triggers faults as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 01:36 AM   #20
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
I have HBA + adaptive from the factory. Couple of questions for you:

Can the existing modules be swapped?
What coding changes did you make?

So far, I tried using the modules that came with the laser headlights, removed 552 and added 5AZ to the VO, but got DRL, low/high beam errors.

My old modules from my LED headlights in the laser headlights seem to work okay, but coded w/ 552 and not 5AZ. 5AZ triggers faults as well.
I’ve not carried out the coding or install myself but my understanding is that the main large control unit on the back of the headlight is a different part number on the lasers than the adaptive. This is probably what is causing the errors.

The DRL modules are probably the same however.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 04:14 AM   #21
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
Which ECUs did you VO Code using the modified FA? FLM2s? BDC?
      06-03-2023, 09:36 AM   #22
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post
I’ve not carried out the coding or install myself but my understanding is that the main large control unit on the back of the headlight is a different part number on the lasers than the adaptive. This is probably what is causing the errors.

The DRL modules are probably the same however.
This makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylam646 View Post
Which ECUs did you VO Code using the modified FA? FLM2s? BDC?
I used ProTool, which calculates all of the modules that need to be coded. In my case (G12 not G20), it was a total of 7 modules - LHM left, LHM right, BDC, KOMBI, HU and a couple others I can't recall from memory.

I think I might have received some bad modules from the seller so I'm going to rule that out within the next few days.
Appreciate 0