Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion I’m developing a tool to compare the options of any BMW to any other

05-20-2019, 04:32 AM   #1
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e92, N55

I’m developing a tool to compare the options of any BMW to any other

Hello there.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post such thing, so let me know if I should move it somewhere else or remove in general. I'm here to let you know I'm building a tool for us BMW fanatics, which at the moment has only very few features, but I will expand it in the near months to do a lot more.

Current features:
  • Fetch BMW VIN factory VO
  • Compare your car with other cars of same model / engine. This is a nice one, as you can actually see how exclusive your build is.
  • Compare your car to all BMW's.
For example, you can take a look at my e92 335xi:
https://www.bmwvincheck.com/vin/E619819

I'm scanning public (at least for now) auctions, and gathering all data (images, prices, vins). This is being stored and used to compare your vehicle with others. That's why if you have a rare car (say, diesel, as that's not too many of those) these reports could be a little off.

Currently it's only iaai.com and copart.com, but I have plans to add more, and I'm welcome for suggestions, since you guys may know better what's popular within the US.

Upcoming features:
  • You will be able to export your report as pdf, or as a small image, to use in forums as a signature.
  • You will be able to see the history of your car if it was purchased in the auction.
  • You will be able to filter new auctions by vehicle features? You want only N55 with M-SPORT and heated steering wheel? No problem!
And probably a lot more I can think of right now. Since this is my, so called, pet project, I'm not investing a lot of time to it as of right now, but I will keep making it bigger, and it will stay free as it is right now since money-making is not the goal of it right now.

I'm really open to hearing any feedback and suggestions of what else could be useful for the community.
Appreciate 4
GuidoK10473.00
clee1982796.00
Steeler2422.00
      05-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
What’s the x/10 rating?

I ran it on my X2 M35i and it said there were 80 like it. I assume that’s US spec?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:36 PM   #3
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
What's the x/10 rating?

I ran it on my X2 M35i and it said there were 80 like it. I assume that's US spec?
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
What's the x/10 rating?

I ran it on my X2 M35i and it said there were 80 like it. I assume that's US spec?
Yes. the database currently filled only by vehicles from US auctions (copart and iaai). the vehicles are imported multiple times per day, so that number will eventually grow.

X/10 is a rsting of how well your vehicle is equipped. It currently gives too high scores, but basically it checks a few things:
1) How many M options does your car have
2) How many individual options does your car have
3) Hoe many options there are in general out of all possible for your model
4) Hoe many rare ones do you have
5) How rare is your vehicle in general

This algorythm is going to be connected to morr sources, such as if your car was bandly damaged in the aucion, it will reflect that in score.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:07 AM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Can't you read out the complete bmw vin database?

I mean I have a Z4 (lr90594), but if I put in my vin, a lot of the displayed data makes no sense (lots of options are rated at 1% where I know lots of these are virtually found in half or more of the z4's)
If you have access to the complete database this wouldnt happen. Or is it impossible to extract the complete database?

A damage record database would be very helpful. Thats something you cant see in normal vin checks.(and thats something people want to pay for when buying a 2nd hand car)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:13 AM   #5
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Can't you read out the complete bmw vin database?

I mean I have a Z4 (lr90594), but if I put in my vin, a lot of the displayed data makes no sense (lots of options are rated at 1% where I know lots of these are virtually found in half or more of the z4's)
If you have access to the complete database this wouldnt happen. Or is it impossible to extract the complete database?

A damage record database would be very helpful. Thats something you cant see in normal vin checks.
Unfortunately, the complete VIN database is not available for public use, and up until it becomes available (if it ever will), I can only use the reverse-engineered solution I'm currently using to request data for specific vin. However, I'm sure the database will grow soon, since I'll be adding more sources, and more time will pass (I'm collecting the data only for about 1 month till now.)

I also checked your VIN, and it matched half of the cars incorrectly.
There are only 30 Z4's right now, that are equipped with M54 engine. This will probably change when I will start reading Europe based sources

Last edited by Pupsaiden; 05-24-2019 at 02:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
GuidoK10473.00
      05-24-2019, 02:56 AM   #6
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsaiden View Post
Unfortunately, the complete VIN database is not available for public use,
Can't you read out the database one record at a time?
I know its theoretical 78 billion possible records but I dont know how long it takes per record. If it takes 1 sec per record it'll be way too slow of course.
Also certain cars have certain ranges, so you could read more specifically I guess (maybe probing per 1000 or 10000 combinations and read back or not.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 03:18 AM   #7
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Can't you read out the database one record at a time?
I know its theoretical 78 billion possible records but I dont know how long it takes per record. If it takes 1 sec per record it'll be way too slow of course.
Also certain cars have certain ranges, so you could read more specifically I guess (maybe probing per 1000 or 10000 combinations and read back or not.
Theoretically, I can read them this way, but there are few obstacles.
- Reading is quite a slow operation. It takes more than a second
- We're using publicly available sources to get some of the information. Loading it with this much of requests may just make them be shut off entirely.
- Requests and storage are not entirely free, so I'd rather deal only with currently appearing vehicles, instead of all of them, since it will hurt my wallet way less.

Last edited by Pupsaiden; 05-24-2019 at 03:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
GuidoK10473.00
      05-24-2019, 03:26 AM   #8
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

yeah you have some good points.
Especially if bmw shuts it down we have nothing anymore.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #9
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Pretty cool.

Said mine is 70/76 on options equipped (based on same model cars) and total score is 10.0.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #10
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Reports that my coupe is 29/29
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #11
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelr View Post
Reports that my coupe is 29/29
You must have a rare one, don't you?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

Quote:
You must have a rare one, don't you?
Yeah I think so, I had looked into it before and thought it was 1 of around 35 with the combo but probably didn't get quite as granular as your tool does.

It's a white 07 m coupe with imola red leather, carbon leather and navi. Rare and daily driven with over 160k and counting.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #13
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

I guess my car isn't that special...
      05-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #14
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14_kev View Post
I guess my car isn't that special...
If you feel like the tool is not fair enough, let me hear, I'm willing to improve.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:42 PM   #15
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

I like it and I guess it is a good tool if you want to check if a certain car really is as rare as the owner states.

However I see some problems. For example my prior E82 118d - VN73587. There is only this car in your list so all options are set to 100% and it scores 10. This was a next to no options model so absolutely nothing special.

So maybe you should consider a warning if the comparison base is too small.
      05-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #16
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
I like it and I guess it is a good tool if you want to check if a certain car really is as rare as the owner states.

However I see some problems. For example my prior E82 118d - VN73587. There is only this car in your list so all options are set to 100% and it scores 10. This was a next to no options model so absolutely nothing special.

So maybe you should consider a warning if the comparison base is too small.
Great point. The main problem is that your vehicle is diesel powered one. And, well, as far as I know, that's not too common in US, thus, there are close to no diesel cars in copart or iaai (where I get the vehicles from). I think this will be solved when I add europe based auctions, but up until then I agree, that some sort of indication will be a good thing.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #17
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Also I believe something else is wrong. When I take my own F30 - FX56569 many of the options turn out to be only on my car but I am sure they are pretty standard.
      05-24-2019, 02:54 PM   #18
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
Also I believe something else is wrong. When I take my own F30 - FX56569 many of the options turn out to be only on my car but I am sure they are pretty standard.
I'm actually aware about this. This is because the same option name is used under different equipment codes. For example:
`Comfort Package` will be for all of these:
`"P7VBA", "P972A", "P9B8A", "P9CAA", "PR0SA", "Q230A"`

I will fix this tomorrow I guess, so it matches by name, and not the option code.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #19
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep

Thats probably because the "Comfort Package" contains different parts in different regions. So maybe you should keep it based on the code in order to be accurate and then make a remark or second bar below the current bar that counts based on the name.
      05-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #20
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
If you feel like the tool is not fair enough, let me hear, I'm willing to improve.
No, I was being slightly sarcastic. The previous owner put some OEM parts on it that make it a little more rare than the tool states (speed cloth interior, M Performance Exhaust...)

BUT

I did put my VIN number from my E30 M3 and the tool appears to be switching the VIN number to something else. It is still a comparable car (same color, build month/year, etc.), but I found that interesting. Is the tool only optimized for newer models? It gives me the same incorrect VIN whether I enter the full number or the last 7 digits.
      05-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #21
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Need to add the ZHP package!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #22
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello there.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post such thing, so let me know if I should move it somewhere else or remove in general. I'm here to let you know I'm building a tool for us BMW fanatics, which at the moment has only very few features, but I will expand it in the near months to do a lot more.

Current features:
  • Fetch BMW VIN factory VO
  • Compare your car with other cars of same model / engine. This is a nice one, as you can actually see how exclusive your build is.
  • Compare your car to all BMW's.
For example, you can take a look at my e92 335xi:
https://www.bmwvincheck.com/vin/E619819

I'm scanning public (at least for now) auctions, and gathering all data (images, prices, vins). This is being stored and used to compare your vehicle with others. That's why if you have a rare car (say, diesel, as that's not too many of those) these reports could be a little off.

Currently it's only iaai.com and copart.com, but I have plans to add more, and I'm welcome for suggestions, since you guys may know better what's popular within the US.

Upcoming features:
  • You will be able to export your report as pdf, or as a small image, to use in forums as a signature.
  • You will be able to see the history of your car if it was purchased in the auction.
  • You will be able to filter new auctions by vehicle features? You want only N55 with M-SPORT and heated steering wheel? No problem!
And probably a lot more I can think of right now. Since this is my, so called, pet project, I'm not investing a lot of time to it as of right now, but I will keep making it bigger, and it will stay free as it is right now since money-making is not the goal of it right now.

I'm really open to hearing any feedback and suggestions of what else could be useful for the community.
So the ZHP is I guess called Performance Package as per the email I received from BMWNA:

"Also, for your reference, your vehicle is 31 out of 100 produced with the Performance Package." - Code 0ZF6 (ZHP)

I also have LED door projectors.
Appreciate 0