Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion who supports gun control or banning of legal ownership of firearms

View Poll Results: do you support banning guns/gun control
NO - gun control means hitting your target 50 71.43%
YES - grab em up and make the world safe 20 28.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

07-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #89
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
Wow, nice cut and paste job.

You probably don't have much of an understanding of the Constitution of the United States of America. That's cool, because I don't know crap about Canadian law.

The second amendment to the constitution reads

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

As a Canadian I also don't expect you to understand what it means to be an American. The current actions of the Executive Branch of our government are trampling the rights of Americans for no other reason than the expansion and intervention of government in the lives of Americans. Obama's actions of late are NOT about protecting us from terrorism, threats against the country and constitution, or threats from another. He wants to protect us from ourselves, and he is doing it in a manner that exceeds his constitutional power.

It's one thing to monitor conversations of citizens in an effort to sniff out terrorism. I don't like it, but I have nothing to hide, and I'm communicating over public airwaves, so life's a bitch, huh? But its quite another problem when the government steps in and tells a CEO of a public company to step down. Are you f'ing kidding me??? Show me where the President, or the government at all, has that right? No one proved a criminal action, no laws were broken. Sure, Wagoner sucked, but that does not give the President the right to do what he did. I can go on.

The right to bear arms is about a right to defend ourselves from enemies both foreign AND domestic, and domestic can include our government if they decide to break the law.
Paranoid much? Sounds to me like you're saying you don't like the guys in office and what they're doing so let's take our guns which we have a right to bear and off their asses. Screw the long hard fought election process and never mind that Americans voted them into office in a fair and legal election witnessed by the entire world. To hell with all that and Democracy be damned. Is this really your way of schooling someone on the Constitution of the United States and what it means to be an American?

I didn't like the last guy in office and I'm convinced with the help of his vice president and others in his administration he broke several laws and compramised the Constitution. I'm certainly not the the only one who feels that way, but I never heard any one of us talk about taking our guns and offing any of those idiots. For better or worse I believe in our system of government, it's the best in the world. If we don't like the guys running things we vote them out. If they break the law we allow the legal system to handle them, we don't gather up our militia, whip out our guns and overthrow the government. That's how they do things in other countries, but that's not how we do things here.

Please describe a realistic scenario in which you see yourself bearing arms to defend yourself against our government. What law(s) would have been broken by "our government" to justify that action? How would you defend yourself and exactly who or what would you be defending yourself from?

And by the way, good luck with that.

Last edited by BKsBimmer; 07-01-2009 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #90
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Paranoid much? Sounds to me like you're saying you don't like the guys in office and what they're doing so let's take our guns which we have a right to bear and off their asses. Screw the long hard fought election process and never mind that Americans voted them into office in a fair and legal election witnessed by the entire world. To hell with all that and Democracy be damned. Is this really your way of schooling someone on the Constitution of the United States and what it means to be an American?

I didn't like the last guy in office and I'm convinced with the help of his vice president and others in his administration he broke several laws and compramised the Constitution. I'm certainly not the the only one who feels that way, but I never heard any one of us talk about taking our guns and offing any of those idiots. For better or worse I believe in our system of government, it's the best in the world. If we don't like the guys running things we vote them out. If they break the law we allow the legal system to handle them, we don't gather up our militia, whip out our guns and overthrow the government. That's how they do things in other countries, but that's not how we do things here.

Please describe a realistic scenario in which you see yourself bearing arms to defend yourself against our government. What law(s) would have been broken by "our government" to justify that action? How would you defend yourself and exactly who or what would you be defending yourself from?

And by the way, good luck with that.
Schooling. Lets start there. You need some. Specifically with regard to reading comprehension, and a whole hell of a lot of history.

Quote:
Screw the long hard fought election process and never mind that Americans voted them into office in a fair and legal election witnessed by the entire world. To hell with all that and Democracy be damned.
Yeah, that's right. I'm going to go o'ganize me some 'my militia boys an go pop a cap in yo azz. Get real. I post about about why we have the rights we do, and why someone would need to have those rights, and you run out and assume that means we're gettin' o'ganized to stage a coup? Typical liberal hysteria and word twisting.

When you quit watching your beloved TV news, put down your liberal local paper, and start researching facts for yourself, and learn a lot about history, you'll see just how bad the actions of Obama are.

Before you make another comment about my views on our system of government, go search every one of my posts for the last 6 months and see how I feel about our system of government. Then come back and we can discuss.

As for your desire for a scenario, again I refer you to history. Pick any time when an established government was overthrown by its people. I'm sure most of the citizens never dreamed it would be necessary until the day arrived. You might not, but most people would know if and when the day was here.

BTW, paranoia? You really don't know what that word means, or you can't comprehend the difference between a scenario and a feeling.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #91
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

The poll is a bit too black and white. their should be controls without outright restriction.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #92
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Here is my thought process on this matter. I own 7 rifles, 5 of them are assault rifles that I bought to have fun with. Bushmaster AR-15, MSAR STG-223, Sig Sauer 553, Robinson Arms 6.8, Valmet M-76, M-1 Garand, and Naval Arms Lever action 45 cowboy round. My pistol permit is for a Beretta PX-4 Storm 9mm, FN FNP-40 and a Walther PPS 9mm. I use my rifles to go to the range with and practice 300-400 yard shots. You might ask why......I do it for fun. I use my pistols as home defense and self defense.

However this is my problem with my assault rifles and some of you might jump me for this. Its to easy for any shmuck to go in and buy these rifles. It took me 15 min's to buy one yet it took me 6 months to get my pistol permit which is only a target and not full carry. Personally I feel nassau county should allow full carry like the rest of NYS but they put a rubber stamp on my permit that says full carry "TARGET only" I can carry anywhere in NYS but limited carry in Nassau county. Total bullshit and its actually against NYS law but I wont get into that.

My opinion is anyone should be allowed to carry or have an assault rifle if the proper checks have been made. Even though I say all should carry I think that Vermont should implement some sort of program to make sure you are sane in order to carry a pistol. As of today if you live in vermont you can go in and buy a pistol without a permit or any other documentation. Arizona has a concealed carry permit as well, however if you dont have a concealed carry permit then you need to carry your weapon in the open, meaning holstered around your leg or waist but it has to be seen.

We need some sort of gun control but dont take guns away from law abiding citizens. However dont make laws that will make it almost next to impossible to even get a gun.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #93
cycler
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
No I am not. I see what you are saying and I do agree with some. But you are focusing on maybe two lines of my paragraph. I guess I don't see why extended magazines, muzzle suppressors, kevlar penetrating ammo and overly powerful weapons are needed for a guy to protect his home. Why do you need to have 15 rounds at your disposal to protect your home? The gross majority of home invasions do not have more than 3 criminals entering the home. Do you really need 5 bullets per man? If you do you are either trying flat out to kill, not protect, or you are such a horrible shot you are a danger to your surroundings. What the F do you need an assault rifle for home protection for? My other main point was the education and specific gun use to be the most beneficial for your protection and the safety of those around you. I'm not trying to just ban guns here and sorry if I came across that way. I just think that some firearms that are available to the public are overkill for what they are claiming to use them for. In no way am I proposing a ban on firearms. I just think that it is way too easy for someone to legally get a firearm, and at least they should have to take a course on gun safety before they can go buy a damn thing. Plus it's a moot point in most cases because a large amount of people out there own guns for home protection and do not hunt nor go to a range often and many are overall pretty unfamiliar with the weapon they own.
I hate to break the news to you on this one but if some piece of shit comes into my house with a weapon you better believe my bullits are meant to kill the bastard. Im not taking a chance that he/she will say "oh i wasnt going to hurt anyone or I wasnt going to shoot or stab anyone". Thats just some liberal crap you can hear. And here is the best part....if you dont kill the prick then there is a 99.9% chance that this low life piece of shit will sue me for shooting him/her. However if he/she is dead then you have the chance of his F*&ckin family suing me. And do you know for what? For taking away their only means of support. Some guy with a weapon tries to job or kill me yet I might get sued in a cival court and they might win because NY is freakin liberal state that will side with the criminal and not with the victim. If i lived in Texas I wouldnt have to worry about that. someone enters my house I dont have to worry whether i will get sued and lose my livelihood.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #94
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
Here is my thought process on this matter. I own 7 rifles, 5 of them are assault rifles that I bought to have fun with. Bushmaster AR-15, MSAR STG-223, Sig Sauer 553, Robinson Arms 6.8, Valmet M-76, M-1 Garand, and Naval Arms Lever action 45 cowboy round. My pistol permit is for a Beretta PX-4 Storm 9mm, FN FNP-40 and a Walther PPS 9mm. I use my rifles to go to the range with and practice 300-400 yard shots. You might ask why......I do it for fun. I use my pistols as home defense and self defense.

However this is my problem with my assault rifles and some of you might jump me for this. Its to easy for any shmuck to go in and buy these rifles. It took me 15 min's to buy one yet it took me 6 months to get my pistol permit which is only a target and not full carry. Personally I feel nassau county should allow full carry like the rest of NYS but they put a rubber stamp on my permit that says full carry "TARGET only" I can carry anywhere in NYS but limited carry in Nassau county. Total bullshit and its actually against NYS law but I wont get into that.

My opinion is anyone should be allowed to carry or have an assault rifle if the proper checks have been made. Even though I say all should carry I think that Vermont should implement some sort of program to make sure you are sane in order to carry a pistol. As of today if you live in vermont you can go in and buy a pistol without a permit or any other documentation. Arizona has a concealed carry permit as well, however if you dont have a concealed carry permit then you need to carry your weapon in the open, meaning holstered around your leg or waist but it has to be seen.

We need some sort of gun control but dont take guns away from law abiding citizens. However dont make laws that will make it almost next to impossible to even get a gun.
Why on earth do you have to carry an assault rifle?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #95
shpirate87
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:

If you buy a gun from a federally licensed firearms dealer, no matter what state you are in, you need to complete a Form 4473 and the dealer needs to run your name through the FBI Instant check system. It doesn't matter if you are in Vermont, Arizona, or Connecticut. Giving incorrect information on the form is a felony that can put you in a federal prison for 5 years,
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #96
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Why on earth do you have to drive a 300+hp car?

It is not a question of what anyone needs but what they want, can afford, and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #97
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
I hate to break the news to you on this one but if some piece of shit comes into my house with a weapon you better believe my bullits are meant to kill the bastard. Im not taking a chance that he/she will say "oh i wasnt going to hurt anyone or I wasnt going to shoot or stab anyone". Thats just some liberal crap you can hear. And here is the best part....if you dont kill the prick then there is a 99.9% chance that this low life piece of shit will sue me for shooting him/her. However if he/she is dead then you have the chance of his F*&ckin family suing me. And do you know for what? For taking away their only means of support. Some guy with a weapon tries to job or kill me yet I might get sued in a cival court and they might win because NY is freakin liberal state that will side with the criminal and not with the victim. If i lived in Texas I wouldnt have to worry about that. someone enters my house I dont have to worry whether i will get sued and lose my livelihood.
Can you site any lawsuits where this has happened?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #98
cycler
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You are right why would anyone have to carry an assault rifle. Did you read my entire post. I never said I carry an assault rifle. I shoot them at the range for fun at 300-400 yards. That being said why are they called assault rifles? To scare the public. Oh the big bad man has an assault rifle. Its a rifle and thats it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #99
cycler
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Can you site any lawsuits where this has happened?
There was a law suit filed back in 2006 It was in the Daily News and New York Post. 59 year Woman in WHEELCHAIR shot and wounded a would be attacker with a .357 and the guy survived. He is now suing her for 5 million dollars and is suing the housing development where she lived. She said sue me for what I have no money LOL. And he is suing the housing development for allowing her to have the pistol, meanwhile the NYPD issued her permit. Here is a link. However I read this in the newspapers. The courts are on the side of this lowlife and never on the side of the victim.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ng-mugger.html
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #100
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3m, 2004 X3 6mt

Quote:
The poll is a bit too black and white. their should be controls without outright restriction.
LOL!!! and trust the government to make sensible laws?

the fact is gun control groups' and the lawmakers that support them final goal is an outright ban and confiscation of private legal ownership of guns. thus only the government and criminals would have them. registration and such are just thier steps in that direction.

thats what they did in DC and SF.
      07-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #101
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You are right why would anyone have to carry an assault rifle. Did you read my entire post. I never said I carry an assault rifle. I shoot them at the range for fun at 300-400 yards. That being said why are they called assault rifles? To scare the public. Oh the big bad man has an assault rifle. Its a rifle and thats it.
Quote:
In my opinion standard firearms (shotguns {not f-ing street sweepers}, rifles, and basic pistols) should be allowed for hunting and home protection purposes as long as they are acquired through the proper channels. Anything tactical, any standard weapon modified to be tactical (i.e. replacing a standard shotgun stock with a composite pistol grip used for law enforcement) or any weapon that can be modified to be an automatic should be illegal.

I read on pg three - a new scary term: street-sweeper. oh yeah the evil street-sweeper gun? LOL

and Peanuto - dont you worry they are already working on banning your rights to hunt also.
      07-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #102
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
+1 at what point does such talk about leading a violent revolution against your own nation cross the lien of treason. I'm not saying you said something treasonous turbofan before you can get pissed at me. I just have been hearing a lot of this talk in very open public forums and am curious
\

I think you don't understand why we're allowed to have guns. It isn't for hunting, or even home defense, but for national security against threats foreign AND DOMESTIC. Yes- that means revolution if absolutely necessary. However, just the fact that the populace IS ABLE to have this option on the table makes it less likely that the government will overstep its bounds. If they try chipping away at the bill of rights, they're ALREADY overstepping their bounds, so it's important that, as the ammendment says, this right not be infringed.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #103
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

"My opinion is anyone should be allowed to carry or have an assault rifle if the proper checks have been made."
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #104
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
LOL!!! and trust the government to make sensible laws?

the fact is gun control groups' and the lawmakers that support them final goal is an outright ban and confiscation of private legal ownership of guns. thus only the government and criminals would have them. registration and such are just thier steps in that direction.

thats what they did in DC and SF.
I agree that govt does some messed up things but they are elected to reflect the needs, and values of their constituents. Use your vote and change it..or better yet run for office.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #105
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
Why on earth do you have to drive a 300+hp car?

It is not a question of what anyone needs but what they want, can afford, and enjoy.
Based on that logic I should be able to possess hand grenades right?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #106
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

Quote:
Sadly, those within this thread have already stated that yes, as long as the person is a law abiding citizen they should be allowed to carry hand grenades and even nuclear weapons.

My question is what on earth would a "law abiding citizen" need a hand grenade for? When its used for what it was intended for that person wouldn't be a law abiding citizen anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #107
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Why not? You harm no one by possessing it do you? It is and should be illegal to use or threaten anyone with one though.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #108
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
\

I think you don't understand why we're allowed to have guns. It isn't for hunting, or even home defense, but for national security against threats foreign AND DOMESTIC. Yes- that means revolution if absolutely necessary. However, just the fact that the populace IS ABLE to have this option on the table makes it less likely that the government will overstep its bounds. If they try chipping away at the bill of rights, they're ALREADY overstepping their bounds, so it's important that, as the ammendment says, this right not be infringed.
I don't encourage violence since the structure or our gov't is currently effective for replacing/voting-out people in power but it is rather interesting that folks here forget that the country itself was founded under the blanket of a violent revolution, a legitimate lever for government restructuring when said government no longer serves the cause of the people.

It won't come to that but I do wage heavily that Obama will come to be known as less effective than Carter was and we'll be cleaning up this mess for years to come.

/back ontopic sorry
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #109
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
I don't encourage violence since the structure or our gov't is currently effective for replacing/voting-out people in power but it is rather interesting that folks here forget that the country itself was founded under the blanket of a violent revolution, a legitimate lever for government restructuring when said government no longer serves the cause of the people.

It won't come to that but I do wage heavily that Obama will come to be known as less effective than Carter was and we'll be cleaning up this mess for years to come.

/back ontopic sorry
I do beleive the British considered the early americans as traitors to the crown.
      07-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #110
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
Why not? You harm no one by possessing it do you? It is and should be illegal to use or threaten anyone with one though.
You live in a scary place my friend.
Appreciate 0