Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Buy M340i/M440i now or buy M3 in a few years?

03-24-2024, 09:10 PM   #23
jcantanixon
Rep
Drives: F10

I was planning to keep my 2015 535 going until I could afford a 911. Then a ride in my buddy's M340 made me think maybe I needed more fun than the 535 was giving me. So I picked up a crazy low mile used M340 and I love it. If that delays my 911 purchase, so be it. I'll be smiling while I wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 09:13 PM   #24
LostInSpace
Private
Rep
Drives: G20, G01, Past: E60, F10, G30

2015 535 is one of the best 5's ever. I hope you kept it as a second car.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 06:48 AM   #25
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

With the current prices diminishing returns kick in pretty hard with the M3 vs the M340. The M3 is an amazing machine no doubt, but that's up to you to judge if you're really getting X more car for X more dollars.
Also, this is probably not the best place for financial advice, but there's no mention of where you live. Here in the US that makes a huge difference. Making 90k in Arkansas is very different than 90k in California.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 02:33 PM   #26
LopsidedLand
Rep
Drives: No BMWs yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
With the current prices diminishing returns kick in pretty hard with the M3 vs the M340. The M3 is an amazing machine no doubt, but that's up to you to judge if you're really getting X more car for X more dollars.
Also, this is probably not the best place for financial advice, but there's no mention of where you live. Here in the US that makes a huge difference. Making 90k in Arkansas is very different than 90k in California.
I live in Minnesota so $90k here goes a lot further than $90k in California.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 03:05 PM   #27
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopsidedLand View Post
but like most people here I have a passion for cars so that's why I'm looking for more than just something that gets me from Point A to B
So the M340i doesn't do more than get you from A to B? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LopsidedLand View Post
it probably has enough performance for 95% of my driving
Didn't you say you drive a beater? Do your current driving habits somehow exceed what an M340i is capable of?

Sorry this is all a bit confusing lol
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 04:35 PM   #28
Cammy440iGC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440GC xDrive

Look...I'm a professional...probably well more than 2x your age...make 4x plus your salary...own my home...no debt....and I drive an M440i GC X-Drive...why? Its that good and frankly would not want anything more.

Plus in the company parking lot I get asked about it all the time...you don't need that M3 to grab attention...an M440i GC X-Drive will garner attention. Was just asked at the Chik Fil A drive thru...man what is this...its so beautiful...looks amazing. There was a Rolls Royce SUV right behind me at the time...the kid taking my order seemed oblivious...to the RR...but I wasnt :-)
Appreciate 2
Ezmolaw30.00
madpistol1744.50
      03-25-2024, 11:06 PM   #29
LopsidedLand
Rep
Drives: No BMWs yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
So the M340i doesn't do more than get you from A to B? lol

Didn't you say you drive a beater? Do your current driving habits somehow exceed what an M340i is capable of?

Sorry this is all a bit confusing lol

The M340i is definitely a big step up from my current drive, it's just that the real goal is a M3, whereas the M340i feels more like a more affordable compromise.

The second part, I was just making a counterpoint and being honest with myself and saying that the M340i, despite being a compromise, probably does most of what an M3 does at only 60% of the cost. I guess I was just showing how I have both thoughts running through my head right now, where one side is saying to save for the full M car, but the other is saying the M340i or M440i GC will be enough for much cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 04:57 AM   #30
mk22
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440xi GC

I had a chance to chat with few BMW instructors/test drivers at various BMW events. Their common opinion is that unless you're going to track it, M3 is too much of a car. M340 is more comfortable and both of them are equally capable of reaching go-to-jail speeds on public roads.

To be honest, $90k/yr probably wouldn't let you to comfortably own either if these BMWs. Insurance rates, parts and maintenance cost will only go up. And, as people already suggested, there's a variety of really good cars priced between a beater and M340: Miata, Mazda 3, Integra, BRZ.

If you want to get behind the wheel of M3 (as well as M2 and M4), sign up for M Track Days. If I'm not mistaken, the closest to you would be Road America on May 9-12. It's not cheap, but it's a great way to experience M cars on a track without a headache of actually owning and maintaining one.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 05:02 AM   #31
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

Thanks for the breakdown! It's always interesting to hear how things are elsewhere around the world.

Now, on topic... People here often argue about 330i vs M340i (or 430i vs M440i), and honestly, between the two - there doesn't seem to be any substantial trade-offs, even in terms of fuel economy. However, between M340i/M440i and M3/M4, I think there are some. The M3/M4 is not the better car for all situations. Sure, it's perfectly livable as a daily but it's a lot more "raw". You should probably think about this aspect.

I've always dreamt of either a Porsche Panamera Turbo S, an Audi RS7 or a Porsche 911 Turbo S, which one might say is my "end goal" but I'm so far from those that I can't even bother thinking about them at this point. Ever since the previous gen 4 Gran Coupe came out, it became my "short-term achievable dream", so a few months ago I ponied up and finally got myself an M440i xDrive GC.

It has been an absolute blast and I really enjoy it. Getting an M3 would cost me around 40% more, which would affect other aspects of my life and that'd be wrong, and I'd sacrifice the smoother low curve of the B58, the comfort, the hatch trunk, and some GC design elements I actually quite enjoy. Sometimes I see one on the street and for a brief second wish I indebted the hell out of myself and got one, but then I get calmer, telling myself that I have a top spec 4 Series Gran Coupe, so as far as my specific car goes, it can't get any better.

I'm also not a fan of used cars and CPOs. I prefer to have the luxury of warranty and planned service packs. And then if I decide to keep it, at least I'll know that I was the one that broke it in and am at least loosely responsible for all damages that might occur. Buying a used M3 might, god forbid, end up quite a bit more expensive than a brand new M340i / M440i GC for the same initial price.

And last but not least, on the topic of M340i vs M440i vs M440i GC, one of them is obviously 2-doors but the first two are a bit more different than the latter. The GC is a bit more laid-back, luxurious, insulated, calm and comfortable. I haven't had much time with a G20 or a G22 40i but a lot of people say that they're a lot more aggressive and nimble. I was personally looking for a hybrid between performance and luxury so the G26 was perfect for me, but to each their own and you might actually prefer the others.

Last edited by blue_seather; 03-26-2024 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 3
zlatko117.50
335aw86.00
Rawhide362.50
      03-26-2024, 05:46 AM   #32
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think you'd be pretty happy with the M340i. It's a fantastic car and checks a lot of boxes from an enjoyability standpoint.

Pros for the M3:
* Performance wise - it's a monster.

Cons for the M3:
* More expensive to maintain - tires, brakes, etc.
* You'll be at the pump a lot more often.
* It's not a super comfortable car - you'll feel a lot of bumps and dips on the road.
* The power is not usable in the vast majority of daily driving situations.

If having a full fat M car checks a box that's important for you, without putting you in a situation that makes you resentful for buying it, then do it. Personally I wouldn't touch a used M-car regardless of it's CPO status. There is a specific break-in process that needs to be followed with these cars - some people follow it to the T, some people don't. Some M car owners that don't have any intent of keeping their car may not follow that process and might wring it out from day 1 - which is something that I personally wouldn't be comfortable with. To each their own!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 01:40 PM   #33
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
Personally I wouldn't touch a used M-car regardless of it's CPO status. There is a specific break-in process that needs to be followed with these cars - some people follow it to the T, some people don't. Some M car owners that don't have any intent of keeping their car may not follow that process and might wring it out from day 1 - which is something that I personally wouldn't be comfortable with. To each their own!
thank you, that's exactly why don't buy used performance cars

now where's the icon for high five

[there's a video of someone "breaking in" a brand new M5 on the racetrack, WOT all the way]
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 01:46 PM   #34
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I had a ‘23 G80 6mt and now have a ‘24 M340i. The M340 is a great daily and is still fun to drive.
Appreciate 0