Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Destination Input option missing from Sat Nav

12-20-2020, 04:11 AM   #1
plusman
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 3-Series (G20)

Destination Input option missing from Sat Nav

I have a 2019 320d M-Sport. A while ago I updated the software via the Connected Drive Android app to 07/2020.54. Around the same time I also updated the Maps to Europe 2020-2.

A few days ago I noticed that I could no longer access the Destination Input screen (for inputting addresses and route options). I do not know if this error occurred at the time of the software/map update or if it is more recent.

When I press NAV, the Search option comes up but this only allows me to search points of interest, My Destinations or Received Destinations - not input a destination.

I have rebooted the iDrive twice (by pressing the volume button for 30 seconds) - it made no difference.

The only way I can get a new destination inputted is to use voice command "Destination Input" which then starts by asking me which country do I want, and then if I am quick I can get the destination input screen that appears and enter the address, postcode etc that I want.

Has anybody else encountered this or advice as to how I can resolve it?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

It's not an error, it's a feature. Just start typing the address in the searchbar and it will show as you type. Takes some getting used to though, it did for me ... certainly with more rural destinations. Alternatively use Google maps but it does work if you get the hang of it
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Question is how do I add a street number after I have completed typing?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostNixon View Post
Question is how do I add a street number after I have completed typing?
You can just add a number also while typing in the same go, it will update the proposals on the right with a number
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 04:41 AM   #5
plusman
Netherlands
Rep

Thanks for the information. The old method just seemed so much easier. Now you have to enter city first then streetname (If you just enter street name, and if it is a popular name, you can get hundreds of possible entries). It is a pity that they didn't keep it as an option.

Yesterday I received the following from BMW customer service (they responded very quickly on a Sunday - only a few hours after I contacted them via their website):

We are pleased to hear that you are using the BMW ConnectedDrive services. We naturally strive to always be able to offer you the most user-friendly environment. The “Remote Software Upgrade” helps to keep the system in your BMW always up-to-date. In the communication regarding the Remote Software Upgrade it is indicated what exactly will change for you, including an explanation of the introduction of BMW Maps. You can read about which functionalities change in a Remote Software Upgrade in the “Release Notes”. These are always included in the MyBMW app or can be consulted in your BMW before installation. In addition, the Release Notes can be found in the BMW ConnectedDrive portal. All information about using BMW Maps can be found in this handy how-to video. In addition to manual input, we recommend the voice control via the Intelligent Personal Assistant. Activate the speech assistant with "Hey BMW" or the button on the steering wheel and say "navigate to <place>, <street>, <house number>".

Many thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 05:24 AM   #6
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

I agree, especially when voice can be hit or miss the classic I put would have been a good alternative. It does work. But is by no way natural. On the plus side, Google maps works like a charm or you can also push the adres to your car via the app.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 12:58 AM   #7
i_machine
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330e

Can anyone help with this? When I want to enter a Belgian destination address via voice search, the system always thinks that I am in The Netherlands and then it won't find the address. Afterwards, when I press the voice button again to quit the voice search session, the screen allows me to enter country, street, number etc. If I then change the country to Belgium and enter the same destination address again via voice search, it works flawlessly (because I updated the country to Belgium). So in some way the "default country" on my navigation system is The Netherlands. Does someone know a way to update this?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 03:23 AM   #8
plusman
Netherlands
Rep

When I tried voice search - "Hey BMW, Destination Input", the first thing it asked was the country. I am in the Netherlands and it was annoying to have this each time as I wanted to enter a Dutch address. Perhaps this might work if you want to enter a Belgian one?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #9
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i touring g21

I had the same reaction after the update. But once you get the new mechanics, its quite easy. You can type in whatever you want. Even coordinates. It will present the results.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #10
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikvdb View Post
It's not an error, it's a feature. Just start typing the address in the searchbar and it will show as you type. Takes some getting used to though, it did for me ... certainly with more rural destinations. Alternatively use Google maps but it does work if you get the hang of it
When you say “typing”, how can you do that and what is the search bar? My M340i has just updated to 07/2020 and it seems such a backward step that the only quick way of entering a new destination is by voice input; what if you’re abroad and can’t pronounce some or part of the destination address?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:31 AM   #11
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgoliv View Post
I had the same reaction after the update. But once you get the new mechanics, its quite easy. You can type in whatever you want. Even coordinates. It will present the results.
My M340i has just updated to 07/2020 and it seems such a backward step that the only quick way of entering a new destination is by voice input; what if you’re abroad and can’t pronounce some or part of the destination address?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #12
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NthKent View Post
Quote:
My M340i has just updated to 07/2020 and it seems such a backward step that the only quick way of entering a new destination is by voice input; what if you're abroad and can't pronounce some or part of the destination address?
It's just pointless for a lad from Yorkshire. She doesn't understand the t' in front of every other word 🙈
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #13
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
When you say “typing”, how can you do that and what is the search bar? My M340i has just updated to 07/2020 and it seems such a backward step that the only quick way of entering a new destination is by voice input; what if you’re abroad and can’t pronounce some or part of the destination address?
it's search location and just start typing however you want and it will provide a list as you tyupe along. Took some getting used to for me also. To be fair, I only use that if I need to enter on the spot. Usually I use the app and send it to the car. I've also set my home & work address as a favorite so use voice for those.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #14
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

Quote:
Quote:
My M340i has just updated to 07/2020 and it seems such a backward step that the only quick way of entering a new destination is by voice input; what if you're abroad and can't pronounce some or part of the destination address?
I have the search function available in navigation. There is a magnifying glass symbol in the top left of the screen which pops up the manual input wheel of letters and numbers, although I am running software version 11/2020.45?

It must have been installed by BMW HQ when the car (330e) visited Immingham for its HV Charging investigation over Christmas 🤷🏻*♂️
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 02:32 PM   #15
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelark View Post
It's just pointless for a lad from Yorkshire. She doesn't understand the t' in front of every other word 🙈
Haha! Brilliant!
Appreciate 0