Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics H/K Bass and Audio Failure ‘20 / ‘21? READ HERE

02-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #23
M340Why
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i

Is the random popping from the speakers while music is playing one of the side effects of this? I noticed this recently and its been driving me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #24
thatg20guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M340Why View Post
Is the random popping from the speakers while music is playing one of the side effects of this? I noticed this recently and its been driving me crazy.
Yes I believe so - that should make it a lot easier for the dealership to diagnose/replace the amplifier.

I actually just got back from my 2nd trip to the dealer since the issue popped up again last week and they opened a TSARA case with BMW. Got it approved, and the new amp is finally on order from Germany!
      02-21-2021, 01:28 PM   #25
Enigma735
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport Line

All, if you have a make/model in the builds listed in the PUMA linked, I would recommend talking to your SA to see if you can get the updated Amp ordered. I sat in a buddy’s MY’21 m340i built in December with the HK audio and Live Cockpit Pro (same software 11/20 as mine), and set the audio settings exactly to match my own. The old amp in his is SEVERELY unpowered compared to the new amp linked in the original post. I took some videos but they’re kinda useless because of the limitation of the iPhone ambient mic and autoprocessing. Trust me, my system at 1/3 max volume with the new amp you can hear and feel the difference with the subs and mid ranges. To get near the same punchiness and bass note we had to put his volume up to over 1/2 max vol.

I don’t know how this got through BMW’s QC protocols but it’s quite bad. Also, I heard the amp in the affected models were manufactured in Mexico similar to a lot of the affected models while the new amp is manufacturer in Germany. Not sure if that’s true or if it matters but, +1 for German born vs Mexico born in the “does it matter” case.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 01:10 AM   #26
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma735 View Post
All, if you have a make/model in the builds listed in the PUMA linked, I would recommend talking to your SA to see if you can get the updated Amp ordered. I sat in a buddy’s MY’21 m340i built in December with the HK audio and Live Cockpit Pro (same software 11/20 as mine), and set the audio settings exactly to match my own. The old amp in his is SEVERELY unpowered compared to the new amp linked in the original post. I took some videos but they’re kinda useless because of the limitation of the iPhone ambient mic and autoprocessing. Trust me, my system at 1/3 max volume with the new amp you can hear and feel the difference with the subs and mid ranges. To get near the same punchiness and bass note we had to put his volume up to over 1/2 max vol.

I don’t know how this got through BMW’s QC protocols but it’s quite bad. Also, I heard the amp in the affected models were manufactured in Mexico similar to a lot of the affected models while the new amp is manufacturer in Germany. Not sure if that’s true or if it matters but, +1 for German born vs Mexico born in the “does it matter” case.
Hungary but close
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:23 PM   #27
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Quote:

I did this and they still replaced the amp with the same damn amp. I have an appt tomorrow and I will again bring the PUMA (which they cannot look up in the US?) and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #28
Socosurf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

My loaner vehicle had the upgraded system and I was randomly getting pops in the system while listening to music and thought I was going crazy.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #29
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 -> G20

Quote:

I think this might be true, as my car was manufactured in Mexico on Oct/Nov 2020 & I have this Bass issue. I brought my car to the service 1st time they were unable to troubleshoot or figure out what's going on. I again took my car to Service 2nd time even this time they couldn't figure out, but atleast it's good that they were aware of the amp issue (plus I have shared this Bimmerpost for their review), so they have ordered my new amp from Germany, hopefully I'll have that in a month or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #30
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer006 View Post
Quote:

I think this might be true, as my car was manufactured in Mexico on Oct/Nov 2020 & I have this Bass issue. I brought my car to the service 1st time they were unable to troubleshoot or figure out what's going on. I again took my car to Service 2nd time even this time they couldn't figure out, but atleast it's good that they were aware of the amp issue (plus I have shared this Bimmerpost for their review), so they have ordered my new amp from Germany, hopefully I'll have that in a month or so.
This is my exact situation as well. Waiting on amp which was ordered this week.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2021, 03:33 AM   #31
Rux
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
I brought all of the information including the pictures provided in this thread. SA would not accept internet gathered information however he has dealt with this issue before. Luckily, they were able to order the new amp from Germany. Long wait time apparently.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #32
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rux View Post
I brought all of the information including the pictures provided in this thread. SA would not accept internet gathered information however he has dealt with this issue before. Luckily, they were able to order the new amp from Germany. Long wait time apparently.
Yes, I think it all depends on the Service center, but glad that you were able to order one. I had another issue as well, gesture control module was malfunctioning right out of the factory, so they have ordered that in November 2020 and I just had that fixed last Friday (almost a 3 months wait). Hopefully for this amp I don't have to wait another 3 months
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #33
bobjones1452
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Where is the Amp?

Hi everyone.

I have the G22 4 Series (M440i) and 100% have the HK audio issue (almost total loss of bass at random points in a journey requiring the car to be turned off, locked, reset for it to fix).

Does anyone know where the Amp is on the G22 model? People keep saying a flap in the boot, but I can't seem to find it?

I want to check the amp so I know if they switch it when it goes into the shop next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #34
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My amp that was ordered two weeks ago came in within a week and has been installed.

Completely solves the issues with bass dropping. Also seems to provide better midrange performance, very happy with the new amp.

My issue now is with the damage to my rear bumper and ceramic coating the dealership caused. Several scratches and what feels like a tarry grey substance on the bumper. Not too happy with the lack of respect to the paint.

Not sure I trust them moving forward for service work, but also not interested in their help fixing the issue as I'm sure they can't do anything to a car coated with Opticoat Pro.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:05 PM   #35
Rux
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graaf_Autowerks View Post
My amp that was ordered two weeks ago came in within a week and has been installed.

Completely solves the issues with bass dropping. Also seems to provide better midrange performance, very happy with the new amp.

My issue now is with the damage to my rear bumper and ceramic coating the dealership caused. Several scratches and what feels like a tarry grey substance on the bumper. Not too happy with the lack of respect to the paint.

Not sure I trust them moving forward for service work, but also not interested in their help fixing the issue as I'm sure they can't do anything to a car coated with Opticoat Pro.
I look forward to the fix. Hopefully it will be soon. There are so many parts shortages across the Automotive industry I am worried it will take much longer than anticipated.

As to the damage, does the Dealer send you a video of the car when they diagnose it? I would lose my shit over damage like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #36
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I look forward to the fix. Hopefully it will be soon. There are so many parts shortages across the Automotive industry I am worried it will take much longer than anticipated.

As to the damage, does the Dealer send you a video of the car when they diagnose it? I would lose my shit over damage like that.
Car has only 3000 miles and was hand washed the other weekend, I'm a bit particular about checking before drop off for damage, otherwise I don't really have any proof they did the damage other than the fact it looks like someone with greasy mechanic hands touched several places on the car (ie - door handles) and marred the paint a bit as well.

The main reason I noticed it was because previously there was a scratch on the bumper I spotted after washing it, which I suspected was from my last service visit. It looks like someone leaning against the bumper when they're reaching into the trunk. I believe the amp is in there, so that makes sense to me.

I don't expect them to offer much to resolve the issue, and also don't trust they even could to my liking. It's just reinforcing my future decision to bring business elsewhere. If it weren't a lease I might be more upset.

Mostly irritated it's even a problem. I've had Infiniti's for 9 years and never once had an issue like this with the dealership, and my first experience with BMW dealership is like this.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #37
Rux
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Quote:
Car has only 3000 miles and was hand washed the other weekend, I'm a bit particular about checking before drop off for damage, otherwise I don't really have any proof they did the damage other than the fact it looks like someone with greasy mechanic hands touched several places on the car (ie - door handles) and marred the paint a bit as well.

The main reason I noticed it was because previously there was a scratch on the bumper I spotted after washing it, which I suspected was from my last service visit. It looks like someone leaning against the bumper when they're reaching into the trunk. I believe the amp is in there, so that makes sense to me.

I don't expect them to offer much to resolve the issue, and also don't trust they even could to my liking. It's just reinforcing my future decision to bring business elsewhere. If it weren't a lease I might be more upset.

Mostly irritated it's even a problem. I've had Infiniti's for 9 years and never once had an issue like this with the dealership, and my first experience with BMW dealership is like this.
I changed out my cars often and the last 3 were Infinitis. I wish they weren't a dying brand but it is what it is. Hopefully you have some choices in BMW dealers. So far I have been happy with mine even though they didnt listen when I told them what the issue was. I get that though, I am sure Google Mechanics, Google Doctors etc have to get annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:37 AM   #38
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer006 View Post
Yes, I think it all depends on the Service center, but glad that you were able to order one. I had another issue as well, gesture control module was malfunctioning right out of the factory, so they have ordered that in November 2020 and I just had that fixed last Friday (almost a 3 months wait). Hopefully for this amp I don't have to wait another 3 months
Fortunately, after my dealer ordered the new amp it came within a couple days. They thought it will take a few weeks as its coming from Germany as per the order status, but looks like the updated part from Germany was already available in US warehouse, so I got the amp within a couple days. Last week, they have replaced the amp and so far everything looks good no bass drop issue or random pops in the speakers + this one sounds even better (not too big of a difference, but at least I can hear the audio level is improved). Hopefully this issue is completely resolved in my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:07 AM   #39
Rux
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
They are putting mine in today. Hopefully all goes well.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #40
Rux
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Mids sound a ton better. The system has much more depth to it. They updated me to 3.2021.30 which wiped all my customizations out but i figured that would happen.
      04-23-2021, 06:17 PM   #41
akuok1a
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Well I have the same issues with my G20 manufactured in September 2020. I have kept the EQ on flat to allow the speakers to break in well etc. However I have noticed the same problem with sound cutting off periodically and bass completely going momentarily.

I visited Sytner Solihull and was informed they are aware of this issues so booster amp apparently was replaced. In about a weeks time the same problem occurred and they asked I bring the vehicle back in- this time around they inform no issues with vehicle or the amp even though I am using this thread as evidence that am not the only one experiencing this problem.

Rather frustrating - vehicle has been with the garage more than a week and they are adamant to investigate the issues.

Would be good to know other people’s experiences and how this problem was eventually resolved.

Regards,

Tony
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:36 PM   #42
ergarza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 M Sport

I have the same problem (randomly loosing the bass momentarily ) but also I had nother issue with my bluetooth audio that when switching songs the i drive crashes and reboots without a reason....
Last week I took my car to the dealership showing them the puma number, after the revision they told me that the head unit needs to be replaced and then if the problem continues the next step is to remove the amp.
what I found strange is that according to them the part will take 3 months to get here as it needs to be coded and the shipments are stopped....
Anyway if someone wants to do the test of the bluetooth audio, using the bluetooth audio (no android auto nor apple play) change several times the song in a short period of time and see if your idrive reboot.....
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #43
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

I’ve just experienced the bass drop out and found this article. Very useful! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #44
tomto147
Rep
Drives: 420D

Had the same problem and my amplifier has been changed as described here without any problems. For now these has solved the problem and I would say the system is louder and more powerful in general.
Appreciate 0