Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Spotify/ Carplay playback issues/ mutes

02-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #1
Chris_DUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Spotify/ Carplay playback issues/ mutes

Hi,

after searching the forum and not finding anything similar under Carplay and Spotify, my Spotify and Carplay are driving me nuts.

Sometimes the phone connects right aways, sometimes it takes a couple minutes.

What always happens is that Spotify starts playing from Carplay, I hear sound about 5 seconds and it stops generating sound while the song continues to play and the display just adds: playing on BMW00xxx. I have to leave the player screen and reselect the play list. Sometimes it fixes the issue, sometimes I have to put my phone in Flight Mode and back.

Very annoying when you do a few quick stops and have to go through this process every time.

I have disconnected the native Spotify app in the car as that caused the same issue, just switching back and forth between the car Spotify app and the Carplay app.

iPhone 11 with iOS 14.4
iDrive 7 with the last OTA update in Canada, the one that added Android Auto

Anyone experienced this and has a fix?

Thanks
Chris
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 02:04 PM   #2
cls49bmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40

I had the same issues, and haven't found a fix. For me, using Spotify from the app in CarPlay doesn't work, and causes the issue you mention. Playing Spotify using the native BMW app allows good functionality. I read that an IOS update created the problem in using Spotify thru Apple CarPlay.

There have been some other threads on this issue, so please do a search.

I understand that having to switch back and forth between the native app and CarPlay is a hassle, but it is what I do.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #3
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

Only get this issue when I'm signed into the native Spotify app.

As soon as I log out it's fixed. Also carplay connects instantly for me, seems to a lot bette now compared to the older 2019 idrive software versions.
Appreciate 1
tarrant64116.00
      03-01-2021, 07:28 AM   #4
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
I found if using CarPlay if I switch off of the "BMW #####" device and change to "This iPhone" as the device that is playing it will work fine, but when I turn off the car and turn it back on - then the process starts over, I get a short amount of audio and then when it switches to the "BMW #####" device - I get nothing until I switch back to "This iPhone".

Very annoying - I'll try to logout of the Spotify app in my car and see if that helps - although it is nice to have that option when I occasionally forget my phone.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:54 AM   #5
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Nothing will help, same here for me..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

I have the same issue. I just disable CarPlay as I prefer the native Spotify feature in iDrive as it's more of a seamless experience. I only use CarPlay if I am using Waze, otherwise I try using all the native iDrive features. It's annoying.
      03-02-2021, 12:38 PM   #7
ghostB48
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

Yea I have the same issue. CarPlay completely doesn't work so I have given up on using it. I've been using the iDrive in replacement but it isnt the same
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #8
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
So I tried logging out of the iDrive Spotify app (you have to choose spotify, then press the "Options" button on your center console to get the logoff option to popup) - then Spotify CarPlay works fine. It won't always start playing audio right away when I start the car, but if I open Spotify in CarPlay and then choose a playlist, it plays right away and continues for the duration of my trip.

It would be nice if I could stay logged in to both at the same time and have them work, but the only time I want to use the iDrive Spotify is if I forget my phone which is rare, so happy to leave it logged off and have things working as expected again.

Last edited by Liquid_Ice; 03-03-2021 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 04:44 AM   #9
weily
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_DUS View Post
Hi,

after searching the forum and not finding anything similar under Carplay and Spotify, my Spotify and Carplay are driving me nuts.

Sometimes the phone connects right aways, sometimes it takes a couple minutes.

What always happens is that Spotify starts playing from Carplay, I hear sound about 5 seconds and it stops generating sound while the song continues to play and the display just adds: playing on BMW00xxx. I have to leave the player screen and reselect the play list. Sometimes it fixes the issue, sometimes I have to put my phone in Flight Mode and back.

Very annoying when you do a few quick stops and have to go through this process every time.

I have disconnected the native Spotify app in the car as that caused the same issue, just switching back and forth between the car Spotify app and the Carplay app.

iPhone 11 with iOS 14.4
iDrive 7 with the last OTA update in Canada, the one that added Android Auto

Anyone experienced this and has a fix?

Thanks
Chris
I have the same issues with native Spotify app vs car play. There are two fixes: first to sign out of the BMW Spotify by “forget this device” on the iPhone Spotify menu. The other option is when this happens choose the devices option on the Spotify app on the iPhone and choose “listen from this iPhone”. As of now CarPlay Spotify always wins. Another possible solution would be to login at the BMW from another Spotify account. This bugs always happens when multiple devices use the same Spotify account and it is not particular to BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 08:00 PM   #10
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

What I don't get, is I deleted Spotify from my CarPlay apps, yet it still tries to load Spotify. I just want Spotify on the BMW and Waze on Carplay. I had this working pretty well when I first got the car but it seems like updates since then have made a mess of it all.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 06:07 PM   #11
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

So today, I turned off Enhanced Integration under the CarPlay settings before I left the gym to go home, and on the way suddenly everything seems to be working as it did when I bought the car -- I was able to run Waze in CarPlay and use the BMW Spotify app without a lot of hassle.

I have no idea what Enhanced Integration does, or whether it was just a coincidence. I guess time will tell if it was just my lucky day.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 06:26 PM   #12
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos91 View Post
Only get this issue when I'm signed into the native Spotify app.

As soon as I log out it's fixed. Also carplay connects instantly for me, seems to a lot bette now compared to the older 2019 idrive software versions.
So I just recently started having this problem with Spotify. Figured it was a recent app update. However, now that you mention that, I also recently just signed into the notice Spotify app on the BMW to try it (it was really slow to load though, not as good as the CarPlay version in my short test). It maybe since I was signed into both it’s as causing some kind of conflict.

Will sign out of the BMW native Spotify app and retry.

But to everyone else’s comments here, this only started recently (for me) - it’s been fine for me for a couple months. So I figured a recent update must have attributed to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #13
Krabbypatty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [10.00]
I have the exact same issues. Not sure if any else has said this but this is how I fix it every time I get in the car.

So when I get in the car the music plays for a few seconds then it continues to play with no sound.

The fix I found is - once the music stops, go on your phone and go onto Spotify and turn off car view and then at the bottom where it says it's playing on BMW, click on that and click on play to iPhone then it will work properly on CarPlay.

Hope this helps!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 09:12 PM   #14
CIL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2021

This worked for me

Iphone: settings/general/carplay/BMW#####/customize
- remove Spotify & Stations
- I recommend sliding phone & waze up to top of the “include” section.

Now when you play Spotify it’s native on the car and isnt fighting with your phone to handshake a connection. Carplay is for calls and Waze and messages. All else is iDrive.

I also suggest programming at least one button to open Carplay. As others have noted, exiting once open is a bit goofy. Hitting map button usually works to get iDrive running again.

Hope that works
Appreciate 2
swagon13518.00