Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Android Auto update

11-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #23
rockhach
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i g20

Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
has anyone received the July update with Android Auto yet? today I dropped my car for servicing and requested they update the software. they refused, saying they only update if there is an issue!
Hey bro. I live in Melbourne Australia and I just received the new update with Android auto 4 days ago via Over the air software update. It's excellent.. Now I can use Google waze etc.
I suggest you change dealership. They will ALWAYS update to the latest software when you drop your car in for servicing.

They probably couldn't be bothered or forgot and didn't want to admit it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:52 PM   #24
marcAU
Rep
Drives: G20 340i

Hi, G20 340i in Sydney, OTA happened across Tuesday and Wednesday this week, no Android auto, although my phone thinks the car is compatible and is not locked in a trying to connect to car, which is disturbing its normal operation like audio streaming. Can't roll software back and phone is now limited in the car as it says its attempting to connect to wireless android with my cars VIN. Anyone else have this issue? Car is Nov 19 build
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #25
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Is the car's online services working? Ie. Does the map have traffic data? If it doesn't, then that's the issue - it needs to do the OTA update, then connect to the BMW store, then update the apps. Try opening the app on the phone and see if the remote update is saying completed - I'm pretty sure that is after the car registers the update successfully.

If the online services are working, update the apps manually. Go to the apps (planet looking button) then I think it's tap left to get the side menu, click options (physical button by the planet button) and it'll say update.

If it's not that, I'm out of ideas. But basically I don't think your apps have updated after the idrive update.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 09:21 PM   #26
marcAU
Rep

Hi, online services all working. Have tried to update apps. Seems something is missing from the upgrade. The car has the hardware, and is attempting to start Android auto on my phone. I have seen one other web board the comments on a similar issue, which was solved by taking the car in to be flashed by the dealer. Was hoping there was an easier way!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 09:32 PM   #27
Astera
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
Is the car's online services working? Ie. Does the map have traffic data? If it doesn't, then that's the issue - it needs to do the OTA update, then connect to the BMW store, then update the apps. Try opening the app on the phone and see if the remote update is saying completed - I'm pretty sure that is after the car registers the update successfully.

If the online services are working, update the apps manually. Go to the apps (planet looking button) then I think it's tap left to get the side menu, click options (physical button by the planet button) and it'll say update.

If it's not that, I'm out of ideas. But basically I don't think your apps have updated after the idrive update.
Thank you so much for that advice! Dealer updated me to 07/2020.60 3 weeks ago, but no AA since then even though my phone can sense it is 'there'. All it took was using the option to manually update the apps using the 'Options' menu and it appeared - not very intuitive that I would have ever tried that as there isn't prompted 'option' on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 06:58 AM   #28
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astera View Post
Thank you so much for that advice! Dealer updated me to 07/2020.60 3 weeks ago, but no AA since then even though my phone can sense it is 'there'. All it took was using the option to manually update the apps using the 'Options' menu and it appeared - not very intuitive that I would have ever tried that as there isn't prompted 'option' on the screen.
Glad it worked out
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 07:01 AM   #29
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcAU View Post
Hi, online services all working. Have tried to update apps. Seems something is missing from the upgrade. The car has the hardware, and is attempting to start Android auto on my phone. I have seen one other web board the comments on a similar issue, which was solved by taking the car in to be flashed by the dealer. Was hoping there was an easier way!
Are you 100% sure your phone is compatible? It's a relatively small range of phones. What exactly is happening? If you go to apps, and click left on the menu is android auto there? If you go to mobile devices, is android auto there?

Have you confirmed that your car is saying it successfully upgraded? it says it in the app and in the car itself.

BTW mine is 11/18 build, one of the first in Australia. It works for me, so I don't think it's a build issue... but nothing works perfectly everytime.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:41 AM   #30
marcAU
Rep

Andoid auto update

See attached picture, I have an S20, which attempts to connect - see screenshot but never gets past available. I have updated apps, no Android auto! everything else such as improved maps is active. Quite annoying. Its due for a service in December so will get BMW to reload the firmware and see how we go.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:50 AM   #31
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlo238 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Quote:
received the update today. it's downloading at the moment
Hope for an update from you soon!
dealer updated my M340i to 07.2020.60 today. Android Auto is simple to set up and works well..it appears as another source in the Media menu. My Pixel phone supports Wireless Android Auto. You can then select individual phone Apps for Android Auto use. I just enabled Maps, Spotify and TuneIn Radio and all worked straight away. With Spotify you get all of the Album graphics and track info.. Happiness filled
I received 7/2020.54 over the air today and good old AA, not that I use android lol

Still really annoying 2019 builds can't option remote start or Apple key
@digitallust - you can get remote start but it's at a cost of $690 once off... I am waiting for digital key available for IOS devices..
@vlo238 unfortunately it's not pre July 2019, I'm May/June 19. I'd pay double if it was available, just annoying that it's not. Used it regularly in my last car

Apple Key will only be available in July 2020 post build vehicles
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #32
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
received the update today. it's downloading at the moment
Hope for an update from you soon!
dealer updated my M340i to 07.2020.60 today. Android Auto is simple to set up and works well..it appears as another source in the Media menu. My Pixel phone supports Wireless Android Auto. You can then select individual phone Apps for Android Auto use. I just enabled Maps, Spotify and TuneIn Radio and all worked straight away. With Spotify you get all of the Album graphics and track info.. Happiness filled
I received 7/2020.54 over the air today and good old AA, not that I use android lol

Still really annoying 2019 builds can't option remote start or Apple key
I can get Remote Start on my 2019 build M340i. It appeared in my Connected Drive App store after the upgrade to 07.2020 69. It is one off fee of NZ $550..I think I'll manage without it.
Sorry that should of said pre July 2019 builds can't
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #33
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
See attached picture, I have an S20, which attempts to connect - see screenshot but never gets past available. I have updated apps, no Android auto! everything else such as improved maps is active. Quite annoying. Its due for a service in December so will get BMW to reload the firmware and see how we go.
Your phone needs to be Android 9 and above , or 10 and above for Wireless AA. I have a Google Pixel 3 running Android 11 and it all works perfectly. Just make sure you follow the set up guide correctly...it's in the Android BMW Drivers App. Once your car is at 07.2020.60 you will also need to update the App Data..there is an update data function within the App. It then contains all of the user info for your specific car
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #34
marcAU
Rep

Andoid auto update

Hi TikiTourer

I have tried two phones, a Pixel 3XL running Android 11 and a Samsung S20 running Android 10. Both can see the car, both say Android Auto is available. It seems they are waiting for the car to initiate something which never happens. I have no Android auto in the apps list (I have Carplay)

Car is running 7/2020.54

Very annoying
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #35
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

March 20 built, June compliance and delivery. Android auto downloaded and working. Galaxy S20+ 5g.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 10:29 PM   #36
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Not sure if I've asked this already in this forum, but has anyone with a 330e (Hybrid) received the latest update over the air?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:06 AM   #37
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hi TikiTourer

I have tried two phones, a Pixel 3XL running Android 11 and a Samsung S20 running Android 10. Both can see the car, both say Android Auto is available. It seems they are waiting for the car to initiate something which never happens. I have no Android auto in the apps list (I have Carplay)

Car is running 7/2020.54

Very annoying
If you go to mobile devices in iDrive does it say your phone has Bluetooth, calls, WiFi, etc AND Android Auto? One difference in the upgrade is your mobile device will now say Android Auto and will have a new menu item saying Start Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #38
Edcec
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2021 330e M Sport

Quote:
Not sure if I've asked this already in this forum, but has anyone with a 330e (Hybrid) received the latest update over the air?
I live in Brazil and still have not received the OTA update too. I have a 330e manufactured in march/2020.
OTA 07/2020 started here in Brazil about 3 weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:45 PM   #39
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcec View Post
I live in Brazil and still have not received the OTA update too. I have a 330e manufactured in march/2020.
OTA 07/2020 started here in Brazil about 3 weeks ago.
Thanks, seems we're all in the same boat!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 12:56 AM   #40
marcAU
Rep

Andoid auto update

Hi

Version 7/2020.54, no sign of Android Auto on the car, other than the request to my phone which keeps making the phone drop its bluetooth connection. I keep turning wifi off on the phone which gets around the issue for some time but the phone keeps reconnecting to the car and dropping bluetooth. Its one of the most annoying things I have ever experienced and you can't go anywhere to re-download the 7/2020 update or to roll the car back so bluetooth at least works properly!

The car has the hardware as said Nov 2019 build, but seems the update wasn't complete. updating apps doesn't make any difference
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 08:33 PM   #41
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

After the update is applied, the apps need to update. If it's not doing it automatically, force update it. Go to the apps screen, open the menu to the left (like in your picture where it says car play) then hit the physical options button by the gear shift and select update.

The iDrive update doesn't contain android auto itself, so what does it actually say when you run the app update?

Does the connected app on your phone say the update is complete?

Last edited by AustraliaG20; 11-21-2020 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 11:03 PM   #42
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi

Version 7/2020.54, no sign of Android Auto on the car, other than the request to my phone which keeps making the phone drop its bluetooth connection. I keep turning wifi off on the phone which gets around the issue for some time but the phone keeps reconnecting to the car and dropping bluetooth. Its one of the most annoying things I have ever experienced and you can't go anywhere to re-download the 7/2020 update or to roll the car back so bluetooth at least works properly!

The car has the hardware as said Nov 2019 build, but seems the update wasn't complete. updating apps doesn't make any difference
Both WAN and Bluetooth both have to activated in the car and on the phone. Are you sure that WLAN is activated?
Check on I-Drive with Com,Mobile Devices, Tilt right, Settings, WLAN
Also check that the in car Apps are updated after the 07.2020 upgrade as per others posts.

Then make sure that your phone is paired with Android auto by following the pairing procedure in the Drivers Guide App in exact order. See screenshot

Android Auto should then appear in your Com menu, Media Menu, on the Banner menu when you tilt the controller up, and on the APPs list along with Apple car play
The Android Auto App on your phone has settings that allow the App to auto connect to the car if it senses movement or when it sees the cars bluetooth connection.

Here are various pix of the menus showing Android Auto and also Android Auto in the HUD in my car.
I didn't have any problem with set up when following the guide; that being said its not so intuitive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:07 AM   #43
marcAU
Rep

A quick update, car was in for a service today and was upgraded to 7/20202.60 and the Android auto menu is now there, phone connected first time at pick up. Oddly, when Android Auto is running the text message option is missing, which I use a lot, its there when AA is not running with a Samsung S20+. Its very slick and looks nice, but I have to admit I think the Carplay integration when my wife uses the car is better
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:36 AM   #44
JCs F10
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 3.0 528i Msport

Quote:
A quick update, car was in for a service today and was upgraded to 7/20202.60 and the Android auto menu is now there, phone connected first time at pick up. Oddly, when Android Auto is running the text message option is missing, which I use a lot, its there when AA is not running with a Samsung S20+. Its very slick and looks nice, but I have to admit I think the Carplay integration when my wife uses the car is better
Got it Friday. My car is a pre release 2018 330i m sport with quite a few enabled options. I'm in regional North Queensland and the service agent did it in no time with no protest or arguments...very slick!
Appreciate 0