Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK MHT and Exhaust/Sound

02-22-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
Simon.James7
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i (due December 2020)

MHT and Exhaust/Sound

Hi all,

Few issues with my individual order cropped up today unfortunately. Not going into too much detail, but my order went in late July and didn't include the MHT that's been added to the 2021 MY. I was happy about this as I've read that it reduces the sound of the exhaust and engine a fair bit. Through an issue at the dealer and the delay on my order, the car has been built with this I am told.

From the YouTube videos I can find which are only of American cars, there appears to be no burbles, pops or bangs due to the MHT. Can anyone with a UK new model year M340i confirm this and whether the volume seems to be affected compared to a non-MHT car?

I appreciate the OPF filters on UK and European cars have affected the sound a car produces in the last couple of years, and knew this would be a compromise when I placed my order and sold my pre-OPF M240i (which sounded amazing). I enjoyed the subtle burbles of the M340i I test drive back in July before placing my order and it's a shame to have lost them...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 02:23 PM   #2
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Don’t think it’s the MHT per se, it’s the extra in-line particulate filter that was introduced at the same time which deadens the sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
Simon.James7
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i (due December 2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Don’t think it’s the MHT per se, it’s the extra in-line particulate filter that was introduced at the same time which deadens the sound.
Thanks xenon. I'd already thought I would be 'tweaking' the exhaust system from after the OPF to get a touch more noise back, so perhaps there's a way to do engineer them back in...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #4
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320D 2019, current M340i

I've been toying with getting a M340i and I do my research quite a bit. The new 2021 model which has the MHT gives the car a extra boost. Going by some YouTube videos (ones based in Europe as they have the opf filter) the exhaust still sounds decent.

Have a look at this guys channel, found it today and gives you a idea, he's in Germany.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #5
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

It doesn’t give any boost really, it just allows manufacturers to hit their targets. If you can notice an extra 11bhp on a straight six twin turbo with 374bhp already you’re a better man than me. It’s all bollocks really.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #6
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

These are US spec cars, but maybe give you some idea. An obvious difference but still sounds pretty nice to me... if that's your bag.

Personally, I must be getting old as I'm looking forward to driving to the shops in electric silence.
      02-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #7
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
These are US spec cars, but maybe give you some idea. An obvious difference but still sounds OK to me. If that's your bag.

Personally, I must be getting old as I'm looking forward to driving to the shops in electric silence.
You can set your 330e to have a sports exhaust note
Appreciate 0