Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums USA - California Driving with tinted windows & no front license plate

03-25-2024, 12:23 PM   #1
SevenNine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 330i, '24 M340i (ordered)

Driving with tinted windows & no front license plate

Hi all,

Just wondering if I'd be pushing my luck if I drive with tinted windows and no front license plate around LA area.

I've been driving my current 330i with tinted windows for the past 3 years without any tickets or issues. But now for my incoming M340i on order I'm thinking of going without the front license plate as well. For the record, my 330 has 35% tint all around with beige interior. The M340 will have Tacora Red interior and I will most likely go with 35% all around and 70% on windshield. Also, my drive is pretty much 50/50 mix between local streets and the freeways.

I see most of the people based in SoCal post pictures of their cars without the front plate. And most have tinted windows too. Is anyone getting tickets or not at all?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 12:55 PM   #2
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenNine View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering if I'd be pushing my luck if I drive with tinted windows and no front license plate around LA area.

I've been driving my current 330i with tinted windows for the past 3 years without any tickets or issues. But now for my incoming M340i on order I'm thinking of going without the front license plate as well. For the record, my 330 has 35% tint all around with beige interior. The M340 will have Tacora Red interior and I will most likely go with 35% all around and 70% on windshield. Also, my drive is pretty much 50/50 mix between local streets and the freeways.

I see most of the people based in SoCal post pictures of their cars without the front plate. And most have tinted windows too. Is anyone getting tickets or not at all?
I have not installed a front plate on any of my vehicles for the last 10 years, other than my “boring” daily drivers I’ve had in the past, ie VW Jetta. However, with my 330i and M340i I have yet to be pulled over once for front plate or tint on all windows. I have clear heat rejection on front windshield and wouldn’t risk having a tinted front windshield. I think that would be definitely asking for trouble.
      03-25-2024, 01:31 PM   #3
AM340iMiami
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

You can barely tell at all the front has tint when it’s 70%. Just saying. I always put 70% on the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:48 PM   #4
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340ix

It really depends on where you’re driving, Motor cops will probably look for two or more reasons to pull you over, if you’re not driving like a fool, you should be OK.
      03-25-2024, 02:39 PM   #5
SevenNine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
I have not installed a front plate on any of my vehicles for the last 10 years, other than my “boring” daily drivers I’ve had in the past, ie VW Jetta. However, with my 330i and M340i I have yet to be pulled over once for front plate or tint on all windows. I have clear heat rejection on front windshield and wouldn’t risk having a tinted front windshield. I think that would be definitely asking for trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM340iMiami View Post
You can barely tell at all the front has tint when it’s 70%. Just saying. I always put 70% on the windshield.
Yeah, I've heard from others that 70% on windshield is barely noticeable. I don't know if anyone has been pulled over for that though. But a clear heat rejection on the windshield sounds interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whofelt View Post
It really depends on where you’re driving, Motor cops will probably look for two or more reasons to pull you over, if you’re not driving like a fool, you should be OK.
I've never had a speeding ticket for 25 years in this country, while living in 3 different states. Even though I always drive 5-10 miles above the speed limit on local streets and 10-20 miles over the limit on freeways. I never had a radar detector either, but I'm considering getting one for the M340.

*knock on wood*

My only ticket for 10 years in LA was for not completely stopping on red light when making a right turn which I was caught for by video camera. Didn't even know there were cameras.

I don't see that many cops around where I live and drive. If they are looking for two reasons....well, tinted windows and no front plate are two reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 03:35 PM   #6
noname
Canyon Seeker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Don’t install the front plate and go ahead with the tint. Cops don’t care about tint in LA especially if you are courteous enough to roll down all windows when they pull you over.

I feel like no front plate saves you when cops want to let you off easy for a speeding ticket. I’ve gotten fix it tickets many times when I could have been written for speeding.

Radar detector is a good investment. Each time I was pulled, I didn’t have V1G2 or Waze running - Different car
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 07:30 PM   #7
Eric_M328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i (Build)

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.05]
I have 20% all around and 80% on windshield. You cant even tell windshield is tinted I just did it to keep heat low in the cabin.
I requested No front plate holes drilled in my bumper when I took delivery Lol.

As long as you dont limo your windshield you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 11:58 PM   #8
PrezRoosevelt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
Don’t install the front plate and go ahead with the tint. Cops don’t care about tint in LA especially if you are courteous enough to roll down all windows when they pull you over.

I feel like no front plate saves you when cops want to let you off easy for a speeding ticket. I’ve gotten fix it tickets many times when I could have been written for speeding.

Radar detector is a good investment. Each time I was pulled, I didn’t have V1G2 or Waze running - Different car
Curious if the radar detector is helpful. I thought California changed everything to Lidar and most laser detection on radar detectors are poor? If that's not the case that everything is Lidar, let me know as that's the reason I haven't picked up a v1 or uniden.

For OP: I run 70% Stek front at 35% on sides and rear, no issues so far. I also do not run a front license plate and drove past enough leo with no issues. I don't think they would ever pull you over for no front license plate unless it was in addition to speeding, etc.

Previous Car: BMW 2018 i3 Fluid Black with BMW i Frozen Blue accent

Previous Car: BMW 2015 328i Mineral Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 12:25 AM   #9
noname
Canyon Seeker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezRoosevelt View Post
Curious if the radar detector is helpful. I thought California changed everything to Lidar and most laser detection on radar detectors are poor? If that's not the case that everything is Lidar, let me know as that's the reason I haven't picked up a v1 or uniden.

For OP: I run 70% Stek front at 35% on sides and rear, no issues so far. I also do not run a front license plate and drove past enough leo with no issues. I don't think they would ever pull you over for no front license plate unless it was in addition to speeding, etc.
CHP cruisers and suv’s still use KA Band. Bikes usually shoot Lidar but some run both. I use my V1G2 in the canyons and on my drives to Yuma where I enable X Band when I get to AZ.

Lidar is harder to pick up but managed to pick 1 up for the 1st time when on PCH.

If you get the V1G2 with Bluetooth, get the V1Driver app. Helps with customizing, auto muting and has a ton of features
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2024, 12:28 AM   #10
PrezRoosevelt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
CHP cruisers and suv’s still use KA Band. Bikes usually shoot Lidar but some run both. I use my V1G2 in the canyons and on my drives to Yuma where I enable X Band when I get to AZ.

Lidar is harder to pick up but managed to pick 1 up for the 1st time when on PCH.

If you get the V1G2 with Bluetooth, get the V1Driver app. Helps with customizing, auto muting and has a ton of features
Well TIL. Thanks very much for the info. I also frequent Arizona to visit college friends so that bit about X Band is useful.

Previous Car: BMW 2018 i3 Fluid Black with BMW i Frozen Blue accent

Previous Car: BMW 2015 328i Mineral Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 01:52 AM   #11
SevenNine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M328i View Post
I have 20% all around and 80% on windshield. You cant even tell windshield is tinted I just did it to keep heat low in the cabin.
I requested No front plate holes drilled in my bumper when I took delivery Lol.

As long as you dont limo your windshield you will be fine.
Good to know. I see you have the MAD exhaust. How is the sound? Where in LA are you? I'm interested to hear it in person if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezRoosevelt View Post
I hope you're right. I'm thinking the same but one never knows.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 06:26 PM   #12
Eric_M328i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i (Build)

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.05]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenNine View Post
Good to know. I see you have the MAD exhaust. How is the sound? Where in LA are you? I'm interested to hear it in person if possible
Ya got it installed recently.
Sounds really good made the car more alive.

At lower speeds its a nice aggressive deep tone and as you climb the rpms in sport or sport plus it wakes up and starts to get insane and sing.
Especially in S or Manual gearbox mode.

This exhaust Is not obnoxiously loud all the time like a straight pipe exhaust (ex: awe track), its more tamed until you step on it.

Revs sound much better and there is a good amount of increased burbles too.

Im around Noho. Im gonna have some sound clips up sometime soon once I have a chance
Appreciate 0