Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Gearbox Mode - Sport+ vs Sport

05-19-2022, 07:05 PM   #1
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Gearbox Mode - Sport+ vs Sport

I recently purchased a 2020 M340i. I'm certainly an "enthusiastic" driver.

By default I always drive in Sport Individual mode. Always. I would just drive in S+ always except for one thing. The gearbox setting.

The gearbox has three modes. Comfort Sport and Sport+.
Sport + is perfect for my driving, and I'd use it ALL the time except that once I stop moving my foot on the gas pedal it seems to just stay in about 2 gears lower than it needs. S+ is great - it downshifts just how I like, but for normal driving it doesn't up-shift as much as I'd like once I'm cruising (otherwise the shifts are perfect).

In Sport mode the gearbox up-shifts better once you are cruising, but it just does not downshift aggressive enough for me.

So I use Sport Individual, which is setup as Sport+ but with the gearbox in Sport mode.

It means I am constantly switching between sport+ and SP Ind settings while driving. And it's annoying.
Say I am cruising and in SP-I mode, but want to shift to S+.
I have to look for the button to make sure I have my finger on the right one. That button toggles three modes, so I have to hit it twice, then to make sure, I have to look at the dash to make sure it switched to the correct mode. Then after I have finished with that mode I have to do it all again. Ahhhh.

Has anyone else had my frustration here? Is there a work around - like making the gearbox sport mode downshift more aggressively?

Has anyone say reprogrammed the useless "LIM" button on the steering to toggle between say SP+ and SP-Ind modes?
I'd be interested to know.

I know this may seem a bit strange to most - maybe I am just strange, but I'd be curious to hear from others that are like me. If you're not and think I'm stupid, just move on to the next post please :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 07:45 PM   #2
wdc330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M440xi GC

Use manual mode and shift as you want?
'22 M440xi GC (BSM/Tacora) Previous: 2017 M240i Convertible; 2016 X5 50i; 2017 Boxster 718s; 2012 328iT Sport; 2009 X5 3.0; 2006 M3C; 2006 530xiT; 2003 325xiT; 2002 330i Sport; 2001 Z3 2.5; 2001 330i.
Appreciate 3
themnmd1691.00
AlexC2er108.00
NGT25614.50
      05-19-2022, 08:35 PM   #3
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Use manual mode and shift as you want?
Ha ha, yes of course, but it's so nice when it's done for you properly. S+ is so close, it's a pity about not up-shifting when cruising.

I actually do not like using the manual mode in an automatic. If it was an actual manual I'd be ok, but in an auto, I find manual shifting just not "fulfilling".

I think Porsche have done the auto shifting better.

Last edited by cyam; 05-19-2022 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 08:38 PM   #4
jg4c
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

When in sport plus, is your shifter to the right or to the left? If you push it over to the left you’ll get the most aggressive set up for transmission.
Appreciate 2
themnmd1691.00
arentz07243.00
      05-19-2022, 09:03 PM   #5
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg4c View Post
When in sport plus, is your shifter to the right or to the left? If you push it over to the left you’ll get the most aggressive set up for transmission.
Well it's always to the right (auto mode). I thought moving it to the left was only for full manual mode.

I'll admit I am a bit confused with the shifter in the left. I thought that would force the gearbox to stay in whatever gear I put it in - but it doesn't. Also I notice an "S" mode and sometimes an "M" mode when in the left. I honestly am a bit confused with this.

I would like to know how to get it in "true" manual mode (will not shift unless I tell it to).
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 10:20 PM   #6
Cityofangeles323
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
Quote:
When in sport plus, is your shifter to the right or to the left? If you push it over to the left you'll get the most aggressive set up for transmission.
Well it's always to the right (auto mode). I thought moving it to the left was only for full manual mode.

I'll admit I am a bit confused with the shifter in the left. I thought that would force the gearbox to stay in whatever gear I put it in - but it doesn't. Also I notice an "S" mode and sometimes an "M" mode when in the left. I honestly am a bit confused with this.

I would like to know how to get it in "true" manual mode (will not shift unless I tell it to).
Gear shifter to the left activates sport transmission. The "D" will change into "S1,S2,S3… showing you which gear you're in
*still automatic but will hold the gears longer

Soon as you upshift/downshift manually using the gear shifter or paddles, only then will it stay in manual mode. The "S1,S2,S3… will now change to "M1,M2,M3…" again showing you which gear you're in, this time you're shifting manually. Except that it won't allow you to redline, protecting your engine

Sport+ with the gear selector to the left is the most aggressive setting
Appreciate 5
themnmd1691.00
cyam188.50
SW192456.00
NGT25614.50
      05-19-2022, 10:39 PM   #7
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityofangeles323 View Post
Gear shifter to the left activates sport transmission. The "D" will change into "S1,S2,S3… showing you which gear you're in

Soon as you upshift/downshift manually using the gear shifter or paddles, only then will it stay in manual mode. The "S1,S2,S3… will now change to "M1,M2,M3…" again showing you which gear you're in, this time you're shifting manually. Except that it won't allow you to redline, protecting your engine

Ahhh thank you so much.
So I wonder (I'll try it shortly) how the gearbox would behave when in Sport mode and I move the gear to left "S" ??
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 11:14 PM   #8
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When in sport plus, is your shifter to the right or to the left? If you push it over to the left you'll get the most aggressive set up for transmission.

That's the setting I use 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 12:25 AM   #9
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

iirc manual mode in Sport Plus allowed me to bang off the red line (by accident)
Appreciate 1
NGT25614.50
      05-20-2022, 06:52 AM   #10
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Yes, manual will let you hit the limiter.

The lim button is actually very useful. I use it in school zones (especially now they are putting cameras in), hit the speed of the zone, hit lim and the car will not go over that (occasionally creeps up 1mph). When you exit the zone, hit it again and it's off to the races.
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      05-20-2022, 07:17 PM   #11
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Ok so I have experimented with the whole gear lever to the left. I get it now. The S is kind of half way between the current mode and the next. In Sport mode with the lever in the left its like half way to sports plus.

So it seems like the gearbox actually has 6 settings not 3.
Comfort D
Comfort S
Sport D
Sport S
Sport+ D
Sport+ S

I have found in my Sport Ind mode (which is everything Sport+ except the gearbox in Sport) that a quick flick to the left and I have a much more proactive gearbox, and then when I'm done a quick flick to the right and I am back to cruising.

I also discovered that temp man mode (by just hitting a paddle in D) can be reset back to D by holding the right paddle.

I have also discovered holding the left paddle while kicking down forces the gearbox into the lowest possible gear.

One last thing is that Sport+ in S mode is even more aggressive - nice!

Thanks so much everyone, this has been very helpful

Last edited by cyam; 05-20-2022 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2022, 07:20 PM   #12
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah tech like that annoys the crap out of me. I NEVER use cruise control, never have likely never will. I buy a car to drive it. LIM, yeah, I'll determine how I drive, not the car.

Weird maybe, but that's just me. I'm sure lots enjoy the tech.
Yeah def you. I know for me it eases the pain of DD to have the car maintain a fixed distance from traffic in front, auto adapts to the speed limits (or perhaps, "with" the speed limits ), centres in the lane and auto-rolls through traffic jams.

It's actually sublime just how advanced those systems are, ofc not perfect but then neither are we

Naturally for "active" driving, it's gear to the left and either S+ or SI depending on how noisy I want to be
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 08:12 AM   #13
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Ok so I have experimented with the whole gear lever to the left. I get it now. The S is kind of half way between the current mode and the next. In Sport mode with the lever in the left its like half way to sports plus.

Comfort D
Comfort S
Sport D
Sport S
Sport+ D
Sport+ S

I have found in my Sport Ind mode (which is everything Sport+ except the gearbox in Sport) that a quick flick to the left and I have a much more proactive gearbox, and then when I'm done a quick flick to the right and I am back to cruising.

I also discovered that temp man mode (by just hitting a paddle in D) can be reset back to D by holding the right paddle.

I have also discovered holding the left paddle while kicking down forces the gearbox into the lowest possible gear.

Enjoy that shift knob, Boys and Girls. The 2023 models will not have one. There's some chatter about it over here.
cyam188.50
      01-22-2024, 09:08 PM   #14
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

I solved the "challenge" I had: XHP.
I reprogrammed the shift points and OMG - perfection. I can now drive in my sport individual - essentially sport+ but with gearbox in sport mode.

I have reprogrammed D and S shift points to be how I like. Now I can spend the majority of my time in Sport Ind, and just flick the lever to S mode when I want more aggressive shifts.

Only when I am doing some spirited driving will I go to Sports+ and then switch between D and S.

Its so good, to be able to customize this car like this. The whole experience has been raised several levels for me with XHP.

Add a Stage 2 MHD with a DP and man what a car. I get 0-100km/h in 3.2 all day now. Ridiculous and thoroughly enjoyable.

Quote:
I recently purchased a 2020 M340i. I'm certainly an "enthusiastic" driver.

By default I always drive in Sport Individual mode. Always. I would just drive in S+ always except for one thing. The gearbox setting.

The gearbox has three modes. Comfort Sport and Sport+.
Sport + is perfect for my driving, and I'd use it ALL the time except that once I stop moving my foot on the gas pedal it seems to just stay in about 2 gears lower than it needs. S+ is great - it downshifts just how I like, but for normal driving it doesn't up-shift as much as I'd like once I'm cruising (otherwise the shifts are perfect).

In Sport mode the gearbox up-shifts better once you are cruising, but it just does not downshift aggressive enough for me.

So I use Sport Individual, which is setup as Sport+ but with the gearbox in Sport mode.

It means I am constantly switching between sport+ and SP Ind settings while driving. And it's annoying.
Say I am cruising and in SP-I mode, but want to shift to S+.
I have to look for the button to make sure I have my finger on the right one. That button toggles three modes, so I have to hit it twice, then to make sure, I have to look at the dash to make sure it switched to the correct mode. Then after I have finished with that mode I have to do it all again. Ahhhh.

Has anyone else had my frustration here? Is there a work around - like making the gearbox sport mode downshift more aggressively?

Has anyone say reprogrammed the useless "LIM" button on the steering to toggle between say SP+ and SP-Ind modes?
I'd be interested to know.

I know this may seem a bit strange to most - maybe I am just strange, but I'd be curious to hear from others that are like me. If you're not and think I'm stupid, just move on to the next post please :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 09:22 PM   #15
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

Comfort D
Comfort S
Sport D
Sport S
Sport+ D
Sport+ S

I’ve noticed that in S mode it shifts the same no matter it’s in comfort, sport or sport plus. It may downshift one gear when going into S mode temporarily. And sport plus in D is basically the same as S in any mode as far as how it shifts but different throttle mapping and throttle response/sensitivity.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 10:16 PM   #16
Sparch
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i, 430i GC

Do you have an ECU tune, or are you stock?

I have been on the fence re: XHP as I am only running a stock tune, with AA DP, and DINAN CAI.

Seems most folks with ECU tunes love XHP due to reducing torque limiters, but stock tunes seem to be getting lukewarm feedback.

Is it worth the cash and risk to the tranny?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 10:52 PM   #17
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:

IIRC pull on paddle (puts in in Manual mode), then push gear lever to Sport mode, it will stay in Manual mode.

at least on my car it will bounce on the rev limiter for the next 100 years when doing that.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:35 AM   #18
prostcfc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
IIRC pull on paddle (puts in in Manual mode), then push gear lever to Sport mode, it will stay in Manual mode.

at least on my car it will bounce on the rev limiter for the next 100 years when doing that.
Yes, this. In "true" manual mode though, it will downshift for you automatically though if RPMs get too low.
Appreciate 0