Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New M340i xDrive Owner - Impressions on Upgrading From F30

01-05-2024, 01:07 PM   #1
Motorwerke_man
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i xDrive

New M340i xDrive Owner - Impressions on Upgrading From F30

About three weeks ago I traded in my 2012 F30 328i 6MT for a 2022 M340i xDrive. Initial impressions are very positive and it continues to exceed my expectations in both comfort and dynamics, especially compared to the preceding generation. Bonus: It came with cool M stripes

The Search

I found a good deal on a car with the Premium enhanced package, warranty through February 2026 and only 15,000kms. It's my daily driver and will remain mostly stock. I've been watching the local market for about three months now and considering the 2020's are coming out of warranty plus the fact that most will need tires and brakes soon, it didn't make sense at prices of $50-56k CAD. I considered a few 2023 LCI cars but ultimately much preferred the original interior design with the fixed climate and seat heating controls, which led me to seeking out a 2022. Alpine White over Black Vernasca was far from my first choice, but the deal was too good to pass up. I'm from Toronto area and the car was just outside of Montreal at a BMW Dealer. They had the car in their CPO inventory since June and the day they dropped the price by $8k as a monthly special, I called. Their trade-in offer on my F30 was about $1500 less than I expected, They offered $1000 off the car and $500 more on my trade after some negotiation, so I placed a deposit to reserve the car and drove out 2 days later to pick it up.

Ride, Handling & Chassis

I'll admit I bought this car without test-driving an M340i or any G20 for that matter beforehand. My car has the 704 M-Sport fixed suspension and based on comments both on here and from journalists, I was concerned it would be a bit too firm. My concerns were unwarranted, the ride is perfect in my books. Bumps are one-and-done with no float and body motions are very well controlled considering the weight despite is being about 600lbs heavier than my F30. Yes, you do feel impacts but it never crashes or makes you wince.

The biggest surprise to me is how well all the improvements come together to make it far superior to my F30 both in terms of comfort and confidence. You can feel that the shock towers and mounting points are leagues more solid then the old car (the 50% stiffness improvement they boasted about on release) and the rear end geometry and bushings are spot-on, eliminating float or any unpleasant motions that disrupt your intended line. Also, the front end is vastly improved with the added caster and wider track. To relate it with other cars I've spent time with, it reminds me of the best aspects of both the E90 M3 and the W213 E-Class.

The G20 chassis is a real winner and makes my F30 feel aloof. When I would throw the F30 into a set of corners, I'd literally be yelling at the rear end to rebound and in any oversteer situation on dry roads, I'd get a weird secondary motion that made it very clear the car wasn't happy being pushed. The front tires would skip across bumps while turning and reduce the contact patch to the point where it felt the front would push when it shouldn't. No more - The G20 wants to play and is responsive and confidence inspiring while doing so.

Engine & Power

Jack from Savageese is right. The B58 is an absolute gem and nearly faultless. A masterpiece of German engineering with an endless surge of buttery smooth torque and a symphonic exhaust note. This is more than enough sound for my daily, I have two JDM turbo cars with loud exhausts to get my fix if I need more. I've never been a fan of pops and bangs so I'm perfectly fine with the 'neutered' 2021+ exhaust.

xDrive System

I was very reluctant to go xDrive as someone who has always preferred FR dynamics. One of my other cars is setup for lapping and drift days, so steering the car with the rear axle is critical to my definition of what a 'fun' car is. Again, I was pleasantly surprised.

The car feels very rear-biased and the only time I ever feel the front wheels doing something is when powering out of a corner to improve traction or during a launch. The eLSD locks instantly and the system allows for a good amount of oversteer before shuffling some power forward. I went to a familiar corner with the car in Sport + and DSC OFF to test it out. After turn-in I applied a healthy dose of throttle and the rear end stepped out very nicely into controlled oversteer. About half-way though the slide you could feel the fronts get some power and the car just blasted out and forward. Steering felt good too and there's information present that wasn't there in the F30 which makes dialing in coutersteer at the right time far more intuitive. It felt natural, composed, predictable and most of all FUN.

Does anyone have more details on the xDrive system on our cars? During development, they mentioned this system was developed specifically for the M340i and is different than past xDrive systems. I also found some literature saying power only goes forward when the 'torque threshold' is reached... Might this be M-xDrive without the option to decouple the front? Or am I way off-base here?

8-Speed Automatic

I miss my stick but the ZF 8AT effective, efficient and quick. This is as satisfied with an automatic as I can be. Combined with the MH system, it gives fantastic economy, I'm averaging 9.2l/100km. My F30 sat around 9.6-10 on the same driving cycle.

Interior & Tech

No much to say that hasn't already been said. Quieter and vastly better materials than my F30, Feels 2 generations ahead. No complaints and better than I expected.

Modifications & Future Changes

I hated the stripes at first but I will admit I've warmed up to them. The ones on the trunk are a little overboard and will be removed in the spring.

The only thing I've changed so far is the tires. The car came with the staggered summer PZ4 RFT's. I installed a set of Michelin Pilot All-Season 4's for winter duties, 235/40 up front and retained the 255/35 sizing out back. Very satisfied with the ride, handing and traction for an all-season tire. The PZ4's will go back on when the weather is warm.

I've ordered the Dinan front strut tower braces and hopefully I'll get around to installing them in the next week. I've noticed there is a slight amount of steering vagueness when turning into a corner quickly. I added a strut bar on the F30 as well and was pleased with the improvement in steering feel for the cost. I'll report back with my thoughts.

Last edited by Motorwerke_man; 01-05-2024 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 14
Montaver2180.50
Seba77W401.00
ceevee12.00
wrickem2101.00
Rawhide362.50
madpistol1744.50
zlatko117.50
Entropy89196.00
      01-05-2024, 02:31 PM   #2
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Just one question - have you considered that changing the tyre radius can have some (negative)effect on the xDrive transfer box?
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2024, 02:44 PM   #3
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Pics or it didn't happen
      01-05-2024, 03:26 PM   #4
Motorwerke_man
Rep

Quote:
Just one question - have you considered that changing the tyre radius can have some (negative)effect on the xDrive transfer box?
Yes, well sort of. I read that you should keep the diameter within 1% of factory, 225 to 235 is a 1.2% increase so I'm hoping it will be okay.

Quote:
Pics or it didn't happen
Couldn't agree more, had trouble attaching them from Google photos but they should work now!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 07:05 PM   #5
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

Very nice! Congrats!
      01-05-2024, 07:52 PM   #6
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Congrats, the Alpine White looks great!

I also moved from a 2013 328i RWD 8AT(sold at 80k miles) to a 2021 G20 330i
RWD, the G20's lift-related dampers and stiff chassis really do magic to resolve the bouncy rear of the F30.

I did 100k miles on an E39 530i 5MT, initially I kept stepping on an phantom clutch after switching to the F30 8AT. But I did adapt to 8AT quickly, and I don't miss MT that much these days.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2024, 08:35 PM   #7
I800C0LLECT
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwerke_man View Post
Couldn't agree more, had trouble attaching them from Google photos but they should work now!
I believe it’s the front and back need to stay within 1% in diameter due to the x drive transfer case
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:54 PM   #8
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, well sort of. I read that you should keep the diameter within 1% of factory, 225 to 235 is a 1.2% increase so I'm hoping it will be okay.
It should be less than 1% difference between front and rear diameter. You’re at 1.5% with those sizes. I wouldn’t be using those sizes.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 10:14 PM   #9
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Congrats! Like others have said though, your tire diameters could cause problems. I would change the rears to 235 and go square for stock wheels.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 05:49 PM   #10
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

The xDrive in the G20 is definitely different than past generations of xDrive. For example, the G01 X3 has a variable AWD system but it never decouples the front axle during cruise — it’s always in AWD mode. However in the G20 3-Series, earlier press releases made note of it being a fully disconnecting AWD system. During acceleration, it’s AWD with a rear bias but during regular cruising speeds it switches to pure RWD mode.

Wards has an interesting article on the new Magna FLEX4 disconnect unit. And IIRC, the G20 was the first BMW to get this new version of xDrive.

https://www.wardsauto.com/technology...nnecting-axles
Appreciate 3
EXE462100.00
zlatko117.50
      01-07-2024, 07:32 AM   #11
TheKandyman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
The xDrive in the G20 is definitely different than past generations of xDrive. For example, the G01 X3 has a variable AWD system but it never decouples the front axle during cruise — it’s always in AWD mode. However in the G20 3-Series, earlier press releases made note of it being a fully disconnecting AWD system. During acceleration, it’s AWD with a rear bias but during regular cruising speeds it switches to pure RWD mode.

Wards has an interesting article on the new Magna FLEX4 disconnect unit. And IIRC, the G20 was the first BMW to get this new version of xDrive.

https://www.wardsauto.com/technology...nnecting-axles
I don't think this is entirely accurate. Yes, xDrive in the G generation is improved, but it is not a "fully disconnecting AWD" system as you said - except in M Competition vehicles. For all others including G2x vehicles, it is always connected, rear biased, and can send 100% of torque to rear wheels. Only M Competition vehicles get fully disconnecting xDrive.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/07/08/bmw-m3-m4-4wd-2wd/
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2024, 11:15 AM   #12
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKandyman View Post
I don't think this is entirely accurate. Yes, xDrive in the G generation is improved, but it is not a "fully disconnecting AWD" system as you said - except in M Competition vehicles. For all others including G2x vehicles, it is always connected, rear biased, and can send 100% of torque to rear wheels. Only M Competition vehicles get fully disconnecting xDrive.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/07/08/bmw-m3-m4-4wd-2wd/
From the original press release:

BMW xDrive: fully variable and more efficient.
The latest version of the intelligent all-wheel-drive system splits drive torque between the front and rear wheels more efficiently than in the previous 3 Series model. The fully variable power transfer ensures maximum traction and directional stability in all road and weather conditions while also promoting sportier handling. This functionality comes courtesy of the electronically controlled multi-plate clutch in the transfer case which links up with the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system and constantly adjusts power transmission – precisely and in a fraction of a second – in response to the driving situation. In this way, any tendency of the vehicle to oversteer or understeer greatly reduced.

The system’s rear-biased set-up helps ensure the new BMW 3 Series Sedan retains the exhilarating driving experience drivers expect from a BMW. Sending more drive power to the rear wheels under normal driving increases agility when cornering. In situations which do not require all-wheel drive, the efficiency of BMW xDrive is increased by directing all the engine’s torque to the rear wheels. The weight of the system has also been reduced, while optimized oil supply increases internal efficiency.

I believe the difference between that and the version in Competition vehicles is the ability to force 2WD-only mode.
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2024, 01:19 PM   #13
mondayze
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi LCI

Quote:
this is not a bet I would be willing to take. You can break something very expensive and warranty wont cover it.
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2024, 05:48 PM   #14
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
From the original press release:

BMW xDrive: fully variable and more efficient.
The latest version of the intelligent all-wheel-drive system splits drive torque between the front and rear wheels more efficiently than in the previous 3 Series model. The fully variable power transfer ensures maximum traction and directional stability in all road and weather conditions while also promoting sportier handling. This functionality comes courtesy of the electronically controlled multi-plate clutch in the transfer case which links up with the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system and constantly adjusts power transmission – precisely and in a fraction of a second – in response to the driving situation. In this way, any tendency of the vehicle to oversteer or understeer greatly reduced.

The system’s rear-biased set-up helps ensure the new BMW 3 Series Sedan retains the exhilarating driving experience drivers expect from a BMW. Sending more drive power to the rear wheels under normal driving increases agility when cornering. In situations which do not require all-wheel drive, the efficiency of BMW xDrive is increased by directing all the engine’s torque to the rear wheels. The weight of the system has also been reduced, while optimized oil supply increases internal efficiency.

I believe the difference between that and the version in Competition vehicles is the ability to force 2WD-only mode.
In bold - I’ll have to see that in a technical document rather than a press release to believe that. This is the first report I have seen of this since the G20 was introduced. It’s long been possible for xDrive to transfer 100% of torque to either the front or rear, but that it’s now the default operation? That’s a very big change from the previous 40:60 front to rear split.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-09-2024, 05:58 PM   #15
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Very nice car and welcome to the club!
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2024, 06:22 PM   #16
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
In bold - I’ll have to see that in a technical document rather than a press release to believe that. This is the first report I have seen of this since the G20 was introduced. It’s long been possible for xDrive to transfer 100% of torque to either the front or rear, but that it’s now the default operation? That’s a very big change from the previous 40:60 front to rear split.
It’s also in the G05’s and G30’s original press releases too. If you read the Wards article and those press releases, you can put 2 and 2 together that, as the article shares, it’s pretty much BMW’s version of Audi Quattro with Ultra technology. There’s no other reason for BMW’s press releases to mention the benefits of the new system, that again Wards mentions, if it didn’t have those. Some of those benefits are:
  • Directing all torque to one axle when not needed (normal cruising speeds)
  • Actively splitting torque front/rear when accelerating
  • Actively splitting torque front/rear when cornering
  • Seamlessly disconnecting an axle in 0.3s
  • And needing less oil
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 01:36 PM   #17
Motorwerke_man
Rep

Appreciate the compliments and replies.

I installed the Dinan strut tower bars last week. The steering feels a touch more focused and the front end responds a bit quicker in mid and higher speed corners. Could be a placebo effect though

Excuse the salty engine bay, it's impossible to avoid with how cold it's been up here.

After doing some more reading I felt like I've made a mistake on the wider front tires. It's a 0.4" diameter difference with the AS4 which actually works out to 1.4% from the 255/35 rear. FWIW no strange vibrations or warnings thus far, but I agree it's not a good idea to risk it with a nearly new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Congrats, the Alpine White looks great!

I also moved from a 2013 328i RWD 8AT(sold at 80k miles) to a 2021 G20 330i
RWD, the G20's lift-related dampers and stiff chassis really do magic to resolve the bouncy rear of the F30.

I did 100k miles on an E39 530i 5MT, initially I kept stepping on an phantom clutch after switching to the F30 8AT. But I did adapt to 8AT quickly, and I don't miss MT that much these days.
It's amazing that they're only one generation apart. This car reminds me of the first time I drive an E92 335i in 2007 with how 'right' it feels. I do miss my clutch a bit I must admit. No clutch kicks for instant sideways in the snow, but the capability it had going though a blizzard last week was incredible.

Last edited by Motorwerke_man; 01-21-2024 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:23 PM   #18
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Car looks great. You got the best wheels. I would remove the stripes.
Appreciate 0