Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 'New to me' M340i collected today

02-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #1
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

'New to me' M340i collected today

Just a quick post to say hello and to get to grips with the forum.

Took delivery today of a 69 plate M340i in Tanzanite blue with 6,000 miles on the clock to replace a F25 X3 35d. It was touch and go on whether I was going to get a X3 40i, but decided on the G20 in the end.

So far so good. 145 mile drive home from the stealer allowed me to learn a lot about the car.

I've already found the 'folded wing mirror doesn't always unfold' bug and will have to wait until tomorrow to try and speak to someone to get ConnectedDrive up and running. I guess ownership transfer takes a little bit of time to go through.

Other than that... The exhaust is not as exciting as I was hoping for, but better than the diesels I've been running in my past 3 Beemers; the 3 different variations of SatNav (main display, instrument console and heads up) really don't want you to miss your motorway turning - I particularly like the fact that it shows you what lane you are currently in as well as what lane you should be in; this is my first car with Lane Assist and the jury is out... I can see the benefits for accidental lane wandering, but choosing a straighter line down a twisty B road is interesting. I had a touch of schizophrenia arguing with a lump of metal about whether I wanted to get back in the left lane before the oncoming car got too close at one point.

I've disabled Gesture Control and 'Hey BMW' BEFORE the kids get in the back and decide to become DJs and at some point I'm going to check out that little flappy thing in the exhaust that I've heard so much about.

That's it really. Thanks to everyone here who have unknowingly kept me busy / intrigued over the past few weeks reading your posts.

Last edited by Karl V; 02-29-2020 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Typpo
Appreciate 3
      03-01-2020, 07:52 AM   #2
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post
Just a quick post to say hello and to get to grips with the forum.

Took delivery today of a 69 plate M340i in Tanzanite blue with 6,000 miles on the clock to replace a F25 X3 35d. It was touch and go on whether I was going to get a X3 40i, but decided on the G20 in the end.

So far so good. 145 mile drive home from the stealer allowed me to learn a lot about the car.

I've already found the 'folded wing mirror doesn't always unfold' bug and will have to wait until tomorrow to try and speak to someone to get ConnectedDrive up and running. I guess ownership transfer takes a little bit of time to go through.

Other than that... The exhaust is not as exciting as I was hoping for, but better than the diesels I've been running in my past 3 Beemers; the 3 different variations of SatNav (main display, instrument console and heads up) really don't want you to miss your motorway turning - I particularly like the fact that it shows you what lane you are currently in as well as what lane you should be in; this is my first car with Lane Assist and the jury is out... I can see the benefits for accidental lane wandering, but choosing a straighter line down a twisty B road is interesting. I had a touch of schizophrenia arguing with a lump of metal about whether I wanted to get back in the left lane before the oncoming car got too close at one point.

I've disabled Gesture Control and 'Hey BMW' BEFORE the kids get in the back and decide to become DJs and at some point I'm going to check out that little flappy thing in the exhaust that I've heard so much about.

That's it really. Thanks to everyone here who have unknowingly kept me busy / intrigued over the past few weeks reading your posts.
I like the lane assist (I have Driver Assist Plus or Pro or whatever it is called) and have found for me it is superb on motorways and in stop/start traffic formthe ,er , stop start function.

Otherwise Don't really like it on 'normal' A/B roads, but that's just my personal taste.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Another one!.
Try the exhaust flap mod for extra noise in all modes, works the same as it did on the f 340i .

Any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

I like the appropriate( in some cases) typo

So far so good. 145 mile drive home from the STEALER allowed me to learn a lot about the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The Lane Assist thing is definitely growing on me! If nothing else, it's making me use the indicators more

I also discovered today that the engine Stop/Start starts the engine when the car in front pulls away. Kinda cool I thought.

Exhaust flap sorted

Next up is to figure out why the iPod nano keeps 'disconnecting' after the car is turned off. Every time I get in, I have to unplug and plug it back in to be recognised. All good fun.

Quick question... Does anyone know if it is possible to stop the main display showing a change in driving mode? In my F25, I could change to Sports mode without the wife knowing. In the G20, it insists on letting everyone in the car know that you are planning to destroy the car next to you at the traffic lights. I was hoping for something a bit more subtle ;-)
      03-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post

Quick question... Does anyone know if it is possible to stop the main display showing a change in driving mode? In my F25, I could change to Sports mode without the wife knowing. In the G20, it insists on letting everyone in the car know that you are planning to destroy the car next to you at the traffic lights. I was hoping for something a bit more subtle ;-)
Yes, there is an option in iDrive to disable it showing on the screen. I’ve done this for similar reasons you describe.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Yes, there is an option in iDrive to disable it showing on the screen. I’ve done this for similar reasons you describe.
Thanks. I found an option that will change the instrument display (Live Cockpit thingy) from blue to red, but not a way to stop a 'notification' showing on the main display.

I get that when you hit the Sport button for example, you can cycle between Sport / Sport Plus / Sport Individual / Configure Sport Individual, but I can't seem to hide it from popping up when I want to be sneaky.

I'll take another look...
      03-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I can’t remember where it is, but it is there. As I said I have done it and when you press the ‘mode’ buttons nothing shows on the iDrive screen.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 1
Karl V100.50
      03-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #9
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep, you're right - found it!

It was hiding under Car / Settings / General Settings / Pop Ups / Driving Experience Control.

Who'd have thunk about putting the pop up message under the Pop Ups menu?

Thanks for the inspiration!
      03-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #10
SoFlo M340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Another one!.
Try the exhaust flap mod for extra noise in all modes, works the same as it did on the f 340i .

Any pictures?
im sure this is somewhere, but can you let me know what the exhaust flap mod is?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #11
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindFusion FX View Post
im sure this is somewhere, but can you let me know what the exhaust flap mod is?
See here

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=Exhaust+valve

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #12
SoFlo M340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Quote:
See here

Thank you!

'20 Portimao Blue M340i – Current
'17 Dark Graphite 530i – Retired
'14 Alpine White 328i – Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #13
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
See here

Thank you!
Just make sure you remember to plug it back in at service time.. I forgot and got a confused call from the service manager! I just said yes it was me for more noise and they just said no worries but they have to plug it back in.

It does make a difference and good to see the steam coming out of both pipes.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Just make sure you remember to plug it back in at service time..
Dammit! Mine's being picked up at 7am tomorrow to try and get the alzheimer wing mirror sorted.

Not sure I can bothered right now to faff about on all 4s...