Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Fully charged - electric range indication

11-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #23
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Picked up my 330e M Sport on Friday with a full battery indicating 21 miles range. Temp has been a damp 5°c. Hooked up to the Pod Point and programmed pre conditioning for an 8:40am start Saturday morning. Still 21 miles range on full battery. I know it's cold but 57% of BMW stated range?

In my experience if you use full electric mode the range indicated is pretty accurate.

But if you use Hybrid Eco Pro over longer journeys you can achieve up to 38 miles (my personal best)
Agreed, Electric drains the power faster than Hybrid/Eco Pro, even if the latter is just running on electric power. I'm guessing Electric mode has access to more power than Hybrid? Have to say I've only used it a handful of times, a bit like Adaptive (which I really don't get the points of!?). Hybrid is so good at eking out the best possible electric range. Mine has started saying 19-20 mile range in the morning but I easily get 30+ in reality...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #24
Vogal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
Agreed, Electric drains the power faster than Hybrid/Eco Pro, even if the latter is just running on electric power. I'm guessing Electric mode has access to more power than Hybrid? Have to say I've only used it a handful of times, a bit like Adaptive (which I really don't get the points of!?). Hybrid is so good at eking out the best possible electric range. Mine has started saying 19-20 mile range in the morning but I easily get 30+ in reality...
Which size wheels? 19"?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #25
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogal View Post
Quote:
Which size wheels? 19"?
Yep 19" from M Sport + pack
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #26
rf3000
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

How can electric mode decrease the electric range compared to hybrid?? That doesn’t make much sense... have you compared with adaptive? Are you sure that under hybrid the electric range achieved is 100% electric?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:11 AM   #27
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf3000 View Post
How can electric mode decrease the electric range compared to hybrid?? That doesn't make much sense... have you compared with adaptive? Are you sure that under hybrid the electric range achieved is 100% electric?
Electric mode has more power available. You can do 80+ in Electric mode but only 68 in Hybrid. In Electric the power gauge goes up to 60% but Hybrid only to 40%. Eco Pro also coasts a lot rather than forcing regen when you lift off
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #28
rf3000
Private
Rep

Quote:
Electric mode has more power available. You can do 80+ in Electric mode but only 68 in Hybrid. In Electric the power gauge goes up to 60% but Hybrid only to 40%. Eco Pro also coasts a lot rather than forcing regen when you lift off
That makes sense. So hybrid uses electric mode in a less aggressive way. I guess hybrid and electric will make the very same range if used the same "soft" way (e.g. driving at 80km/h with no hard acceleration)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 02:38 AM   #29
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Quote:
That's good to know. TBH i think i'll only ever really use electric only for going to the supermarket, to the train station or a quick mile or two journey up the road - rest of the time i'll probably leave it on Hybrid. Time will tell!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #30
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranester1983 View Post
That's good to know. TBH i think i'll only ever really use electric only for going to the supermarket, to the train station or a quick mile or two journey up the road - rest of the time i'll probably leave it on Hybrid. Time will tell!
In my experience hybrid is just the better all around option.

During short trips to the supermarket the engine won't engage. And as less power is available in Hybrid mode, you use less battery to an extent.

What I've found myself doing is knocking the gear selector into S/M when going up inclines or pulling off from standstill. Probably not the best for the engine but eh
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #31
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Did a 280 mile round trip today, outward journey I was just in hybrid, return journey hybrid eco pro and the electric miles increased, in hybrid mode it ran about 15 miles in electric and then held about 10 for the other end of the journey. The return journey (no charge) and it got up to 53 miles of electric (total for journey there and back) so hybrid eco pro seems to be the mode to use for economy not just hybrid. I had the satnav set for both legs.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:42 PM   #32
SammyE147
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 330e

Smile which mode should I be in??

Sorry to post something so obvious but need a little help. In receipt of my x3 330e for 2 weeks. It’s cold at the moment (uk) and I charge it daily when at work which takes hours! Today I had 25 miles of charge. My commute is 14 miles so should have more than enough to get home however when I get home I have around 3-5 miles left. I never get the 30-32 miles that I was led to believe. I need to know I’m in the right mode so I can get a decent mpg. I’m assuming the car charges itself if speed low enough and now my nightly drive home is a bit of a game to be in charge mode with one eye on the road and the other on the needle. I know it’s cold but why am I only getting around 15 miles from a full charge and beginning to wonder if I’m in the wrong mode. I can t charge it at home as cable not long enough and apparently the 8m is not designed for use with my car. Shortly moving home and plan to get a decent charging point put in. Will this cut down on the time it takes to charge too. Grateful for advice.
? Thanks for helping me

Last edited by SammyE147; 01-12-2021 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:23 AM   #33
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Cold weather really hits the range. Even with preconditioning I’m only getting 25 ish. I did get 42 on a round trip to Bolton from bham yesterday, but some of that will be regen.

An X3 will be worse than a G20 due to shape and additional weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:43 AM   #34
petejigsaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyE147 View Post
Sorry to post something so obvious but need a little help. In receipt of my x3 330e for 2 weeks. It’s cold at the moment (uk) and I charge it daily when at work which takes hours! Today I had 25 miles of charge. My commute is 14 miles so should have more than enough to get home however when I get home I have around 3-5 miles left. I never get the 30-32 miles that I was led to believe. I need to know I’m in the right mode so I can get a decent mpg. I’m assuming the car charges itself if speed low enough and now my nightly drive home is a bit of a game to be in charge mode with one eye on the road and the other on the needle. I know it’s cold but why am I only getting around 15 miles from a full charge and beginning to wonder if I’m in the wrong mode. I can t charge it at home as cable not long enough and apparently the 8m is not designed for use with my car. Shortly moving home and plan to get a decent charging point put in. Will this cut down on the time it takes to charge too. Grateful for advice.
? Thanks for helping me
Unfortunately, its a feature of batteries - they aren't as efficient when cold. My indicated range when fully charged varies between 19 miles when its cold (below 7-8 degrees) and 31-34 miles when its warm (above 20 degrees). The actual miles you'll get from that indicated range are, in my experience, reasonably accurate.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:56 AM   #35
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Quote:
? Thanks for helping me
Are you driving in electric-only mode? If so try your commute in hybrid mode which is the default mode anyway and you will get some regen as well.

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:02 AM   #36
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
? Thanks for helping me
Are you preconditioning, heating the cabin before driving home?

Remember it is not just battery efficiency in cold weather, but also the energy demand for heating the cabin. HVAC heating element can draw up to ~5.5kW, that is using up serious mileage when required.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #37
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Are you preconditioning, heating the cabin before driving home?

Remember it is not just battery efficiency in cold weather, but also the energy demand for heating the cabin. HVAC heating element can draw up to ~5.5kW, that is using up serious mileage when required.
Must admit, the whole pre-conditioning thing is a total faff that I didn’t consider before ordering. My wife and I intent to share the car, depending on who's going in the office, or who is taking the other car. This is random and changes week to week.

Departure times from work is also totally random, anywhere within a 2 or so hour window.

From what I can tell, the scheduled "Departure Time" feature, with three "slots" seems totally inadequate for anyone that doesn't work 9-5 religiously? And thats not even considering the weekend.

Think I'm going to have to rely on remembering to kick it off manually via the App or key fob.
      01-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #38
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Far from a faff really. It’s the single best feature I’ve come across in recent years. It’s absolutely fantastic having a toasty warm car on winter days.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #39
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
Must admit, the whole pre-conditioning thing is a total faff that I didn’t consider before ordering. My wife and I intent to share the car, depending on who's going in the office, or who is taking the other car. This is random and changes week to week.

Departure times from work is also totally random, anywhere within a 2 or so hour window.

From what I can tell, the scheduled "Departure Time" feature, with three "slots" seems totally inadequate for anyone that doesn't work 9-5 religiously? And thats not even considering the weekend.

Think I'm going to have to rely on remembering to kick it off manually via the App or key fob.
Just send it from the app 10 mins before you are leaving??

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:51 PM   #40
woody320
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
Absolutely, with 10 mins to go before leaving just fire up the app. If you are connected to your charger it will take the power from the charger NOT from the battery. Takes maybe 10 seconds to set it off.

Pre conditioning is just the best thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:55 PM   #41
Burnzie’s BM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
Or assign it to the spare button on your key fob.

I’ve turned mine on 5 mins before getting in the car and it’s still toasty even after 5 mins.

Obviously the car has to be close to the fob to activate this.

As above, Pre heating the cabin is the best thing on my 330e.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #42
chrisnoy
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2020

Agreed, it's a great facility.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #43
Jgr1249
Private
Rep
Drives: G20

Hey guys - I picked mine up on 10th sept and the best I’ve got is 32 miles when unplugging - after the cold came in October it’s dropped to low 20s. Hang in there for the summer!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 06:50 AM   #44
mattdavies74
Registered
Rep

Lame charging advertising

I've had mine since the 23rd December 2020, its charged once showing 34 miles charge. Other than that its always 24 to 26. shame the advertising doesn't state the same. Is there a particular setting it needs to get the full advertised charge?
Appreciate 0