Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Harman Kardon niggles

11-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #67
Dpfghela
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpfghela View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpfghela View Post
My can recently went in for some works. Since getting in back I've noticed the system seems much fuller and more bassy.

It's like the volume and sound has been limited up till now.

Very strange....
Interesting - what work were you having done?
First it was a service. Then replacement suspension and steering rack. Then snapped drive belt and vibration damper and shortly it'll be going in for faulty oil service indication and failed rubber door seal.
Holy crap that's terrible. I had a car like that once (a Japanese manufacturer, not a BMW). Where I live, if it's in the shop for 30+ days in the first year of ownership, the manufacturer is required to buy it back under the "lemon law" and provide a 100% refund.

I feel for you. That's got to be disappointing to have so many problems with your new car. Where was your car built?
Thanks for the concern!

I've read about the US lemon laws. I think its a real consumer benefit. This is in the UK. Our laws aren't that tight and the main option is to part/ex.

I've started looking into it, but its early days.

From what I can make our - its a German build... but its one of the early UK models. In fact, I suspect it was probably some kind of review model as its plate is so early.

It's a shame because so many people are really praising the G20 but for me its been a massive let down...

Still, fingers crossed it'll get sorted.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2020, 02:47 AM   #68
Jackrack
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Good morning all just thought I would share an update.

I had it booked in with Sytner 8th Dec - they phoned up said they could actually replicate the fault and replaced the whole amplifier.

Labour cost: £138.00
Amplifier cost: £1,129.98
VAT: £253.60
Total: £1,521.58

All completed under warranty of course - and all problems now sorted!

Very pleased with Sytner Leicester
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13284.00
      12-09-2020, 04:15 AM   #69
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrack View Post
Good morning all just thought I would share an update.

I had it booked in with Sytner 8th Dec - they phoned up said they could actually replicate the fault and replaced the whole amplifier.

Labour cost: £138.00
Amplifier cost: £1,129.98
VAT: £253.60
Total: £1,521.58

All completed under warranty of course - and all problems now sorted!

Very pleased with Sytner Leicester
That's great news
      12-10-2020, 12:31 AM   #70
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I still haven't got around to taking mine in. What I have noticed recently is there is no bass at low volume to mid volume. Above 70 % of the volume the bass suddenly kicks in. That one is easy to show. I made videos with graphic equalizer but my iPhone didn't back up for some reason so I lost the random cut out videos when I set up my new phone.

Has anyone made videos of the problem?
How did you demonstrate it?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 02:55 AM   #71
Jackrack
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
I still haven't got around to taking mine in. What I have noticed recently is there is no bass at low volume to mid volume. Above 70 % of the volume the bass suddenly kicks in. That one is easy to show. I made videos with graphic equalizer but my iPhone didn't back up for some reason so I lost the random cut out videos when I set up my new phone.

Someone on here mentioned that it's easier to show (or hear) the issue if you re-watch the video using headphones as you can clearly hear the base drop out whereas if you listen via the phone itself or on a computer for instance you can't tell.

Someone did capture a video with said issues a few pages back.

I directed the person at Sytner in charge to this thread as well - worth mentioning to them.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13284.00
      12-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #72
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post

Someone on here mentioned that it's easier to show (or hear) the issue if you re-watch the video using headphones as you can clearly hear the base drop out whereas if you listen via the phone itself or on a computer for instance you can't tell.

Someone did capture a video with said issues a few pages back.

I directed the person at Sytner in charge to this thread as well - worth mentioning to them.
Think I need to go to spec savers. Cannot seem to find the video. :
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 01:44 PM   #73
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

It was me who had the video - and showed the dealer but they said because they couldn't replicate it then they couldn't do anything more.

I'm no further forward, so I'm going to raise a complaint with BMW UK about it. I paid for the HK upgrade and want it to work as it should.

I couldn't upload the video on here for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 10:01 AM   #74
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was me who had the video - and showed the dealer but they said because they couldn't replicate it then they couldn't do anything more.

I'm no further forward, so I'm going to raise a complaint with BMW UK about it. I paid for the HK upgrade and want it to work as it should.

I usually upload to YouTube myself and then add the link here. Done it a few times for some issues on an E92.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:28 AM   #75
Jackrack
Private
Rep

Quote:

Which Sytner are you talking to?

It was the third time mine was going in, and it sounded as if they would replace parts even without being able to replicate the issue as I kept taking it back in!

With the replaced amplifier I have now it's been perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 07:13 AM   #76
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

How common is this issue? Does it affect cars of a certain age?

I'm swapping my F36 gran coupe in the coming months and looking at a G20. I would avoid HK if it's a widespread/current problem.

Previous BMW's:
F36 420i Gran Coupe M Sport; Z4 Coupe 3.0si M Sport; E46 325i Sport coupe;
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #77
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGrey View Post
How common is this issue? Does it affect cars of a certain age?

I'm swapping my F36 gran coupe in the coming months and looking at a G20. I would avoid HK if it's a widespread/current problem.
Don't think it affects every car, but clearly with this thread it's a well known issue amongst owners. Some have got a simple resolve (replacing Amplifiers) and others (myself included as the OP), are struggling to get any resolve at all. The dealer that was looking at it was really unhelpful, but it's going back to the supplying dealer on Tuesday to have it looked at further, and they seem a lot more willing to help.

Just be aware - if you're used to HK you'll get a shock with the standard system, it is terrible.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #78
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Don't think it affects every car, but clearly with this thread it's a well known issue amongst owners. Some have got a simple resolve (replacing Amplifiers) and others (myself included as the OP), are struggling to get any resolve at all. The dealer that was looking at it was really unhelpful, but it's going back to the supplying dealer on Tuesday to have it looked at further, and they seem a lot more willing to help.

Just be aware - if you're used to HK you'll get a shock with the standard system, it is terrible.
I currently have the standard system in my F36, and it's not that bad after some EQ tweaking. I've have had the HK system in an E46 and the Pro-Logic(?) system in my Z4 coupe, both of which were good, although did have rattly doorspeakers in the E46.

I'm a bit of a hi-fi buff and car-based system are always a compromise - road noise and listener position being far from ideal.

With my current lease ending soon, and some good prices appearing on G20's, I wondered if it was worth paying for the upgrade. Just trying to gauge if it's a widespread problem. If so, I'd avoid it and save some £'s and still be happy with the standard set-up.

Previous BMW's:
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #79
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGrey View Post
Quote:

I currently have the standard system in my F36, and it's not that bad after some EQ tweaking. I've have had the HK system in an E46 and the Pro-Logic(?) system in my Z4 coupe, both of which were good, although did have rattly doorspeakers in the E46.

I'm a bit of a hi-fi buff and car-based system are always a compromise - road noise and listener position being far from ideal.

With my current lease ending soon, and some good prices appearing on G20's, I wondered if it was worth paying for the upgrade. Just trying to gauge if it's a widespread problem. If so, I'd avoid it and save some £'s and still be happy with the standard set-up.
If you're a Hi-fi buff, then you will find the HK infinitely better. If you get it setup right and feed it a higher quality source it'll be much better. My mate has the standard system in his G20 and it just distorts when you turn it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 06:51 AM   #80
Robsa
Rep

I must say, as someone who spends most of their time listening to music, I ummed and aahed over getting the HK but couldn't justify it really, so I was a bit worried about the standard version in my 330e. I must say though, I find it excellent, haven't witnessed any distortion at all and it has great sound to my ears - I'm really happy with it; certainly I wouldn't describe it as 'terrible'!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #81
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsa View Post
I must say, as someone who spends most of their time listening to music, I ummed and aahed over getting the HK but couldn't justify it really, so I was a bit worried about the standard version in my 330e. I must say though, I find it excellent, haven't witnessed any distortion at all and it has great sound to my ears - I'm really happy with it; certainly I wouldn't describe it as 'terrible'!
I’m similar to you. I think I would prefer to spend the money on home listening. The sound system in my f36 sounds pretty good. I consider it to be clear and balanced and I’ve not experienced any sort of distortion. I don’t listen at high volume as I find it distracting.

Previous BMW's:
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 05:25 PM   #82
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

I thought the standard system was rubbish. Just didn’t offer any aural pleasure with music, I couldn’t find any part of the sound range to be adequate. HK isn’t brilliant either but it significantly better than standard. I have decent home cinema biased setup at home, most of my music listening is done in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 04:43 AM   #83
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
I thought the standard system was rubbish. Just didn’t offer any aural pleasure with music, I couldn’t find any part of the sound range to be adequate. HK isn’t brilliant either but it significantly better than standard. I have decent home cinema biased setup at home, most of my music listening is done in the car.
100% agree with this. The HK isn't brilliant, but it's a massive step on from the standard system. I've spent a good hour tweaking the EQ to get the sound right, and that makes a huge difference, but it's by no means perfect. It's nowhere near as good as the HK was in my G30 for example, and I'd even say it was poor compared with my mate's E-class with Burmester sound.

Here's hoping I get a resolve with all the speaker crackling issues & bass dropping out when it's in the dealer for the 4th time next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 04:58 AM   #84
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

I’ve had B&o in an A4 and HK in a Volvo. The BMW system is the poorest. Tbh the stock system in my 2009 accord was better🤪
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 06:11 AM   #85
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
100% agree with this. The HK isn't brilliant, but it's a massive step on from the standard system. I've spent a good hour tweaking the EQ to get the sound right, and that makes a huge difference, but it's by no means perfect. It's nowhere near as good as the HK was in my G30 for example, and I'd even say it was poor compared with my mate's E-class with Burmester sound.

Here's hoping I get a resolve with all the speaker crackling issues & bass dropping out when it's in the dealer for the 4th time next week.
It sounds like I have been fortunate with not getting bass drop out issues. HK system is nowhere near as good as the Bowers and Wilkins system in my XJ but it is way better than the Meridian fitted in my XE. As this is my first BMW, I don't know what standard systems are like in comparison.

It took a bit of fiddling with surround and equaliser settings, but I've pretty much got a set up that suits my ear with music i like, however it is still a bit of a compromise.

I wanted HUD so HK came with it as part of the Tech pack.

Fingers crossed 4th time lucky
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2021, 06:11 PM   #86
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Well after another visit to the dealer, I was told eventually that they could identify the fault. The bad news is that it requires a new amplifier, but said amplifier isn't available yet and they can't tell me when I'll get one. That on top of various other issues I've had with the car means I'm now going down the rejection route. Shame really, as the G20 is a cracking car when all is working well. It's full of bugs though, and as a very loyal BM owner I have to say this will be my last in a while.
While BMW UK look at my case, I'm considering my options (and none of them have a blue and white roundel on the front).

Will keep everyone updated as to what happens.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2021, 03:52 AM   #87
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
Well after another visit to the dealer, I was told eventually that they could identify the fault. The bad news is that it requires a new amplifier, but said amplifier isn't available yet and they can't tell me when I'll get one. That on top of various other issues I've had with the car means I'm now going down the rejection route. Shame really, as the G20 is a cracking car when all is working well. It's full of bugs though, and as a very loyal BM owner I have to say this will be my last in a while.
While BMW UK look at my case, I'm considering my options (and none of them have a blue and white roundel on the front).

Good luck with your decision as it isn’t easy when you have forged brand loyalty over many years.
I did exactly the same thing as you are considering following 15+ years of Jaguar ownership, by moving to my first BMW in 2019. So far I have been lucky with my G20 by the sound if it, and absolutely love the car. Doesn’t mean I won’t go back to Jaguar at some point.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 04:52 AM   #88
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:

That's not true, they can order it. It's 1100 quid for the dealer ( non refundable) and it takes 5 days from Germany.

Ring the parts department your self and find out availability.
Part number is 65 12 5 A38 AB8
Appreciate 1