Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Squeaking sound from engine compartment when waking up with remote or door handle

02-25-2024, 02:18 PM   #1
mvgossman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440ix

Squeaking sound from engine compartment when waking up with remote or door handle

See video link. When waking up my 2020 440ix (hardtop convertible) with the door handle or remote, the car "wakes up" (or whatever the term is for the process) with a bunch of clicking sounds and I believe it fires up the iDrive.

During this process, for a couple years now, it makes an annoying squeaking sound from the engine compartment. It's actually two squeaking sounds separated by a few seconds. It sounds like it might be a squeaky door opening. Just speculating, but maybe there's a door seal that is kept closed when the car is off, to prevent critters from getting into the engine or passenger compartment's air supply.

When shutting down, the same sound occurs maybe 10 minutes later as the car goes into "hibernation", or whatever this is called.

I sent BMWgenius this video, and they had no advice, suggesting I get it checked with a local service center. I brought it in for routine maintenance last week, and they couldn't reproduce it, so they had nothing to offer, but no charge for the attempt at least. I suspect that the shop is too noisy to hear it. This is not a neurotic owner noise complaint, it's pretty loud, though heard best in a garage of course.

Any ideas? I just sent this video to my service advisor.

https://youtube.com/shorts/zBeID_dSS...OmIGCbb_kbV8_E
Appreciate 0