Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340i/M440i GC compared to Skoda Superb 3 272/280 PS

03-09-2023, 11:52 AM   #45
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Totally agree with this, plus our relationship with a dealer also helps for obvious reasons.

I've seen both sides of the coin, both where a dealer had little idea how to deal with BMW UK, or the customer. Plus my dealer of over 20-years, where they try hard to work to solve unusual problems, both for the customer and also have a good relationship themselves with guys in BMW. I've personally witnessed the direct conversation with BMW's Technical Department, while sitting in on the conversation.

I conclude, dealers are far more constrained these days, by BMW. They may have to work very hard to get BMW's approval, to dig deeper into unusual issues. Once through that tollgate, BMW can be very cooperative. I've had a personal call from BMW UK's engine guy in the past, and a face to face meeting with an Area Technical Engineer on another occasion.
Also completely agree. Respect is earned by how we also treat the person on the other side of the desk.
Had the master tech spend half hour sat in car with me running through various info and generally chatting about their world last week when I had a query that the service agent couldn’t answer.

There are like all things in life, good sides and bad sides to everything but we can influence outcomes
Appreciate 2
B6WAF77.50
      03-09-2023, 12:48 PM   #46
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
1 - wait yours is 7 speed DSG and it's more responsive than ZF-8?

3 - Superb has less road noise?
Yeah, kickdown was faster on both Comfort and Sport with the wet DSG-7. Also, shifts are less noticeable on the DSG. But in slow start-stop traffic on second gear, the DSG can be infuriating.

The Superb has more road noise and worse overall insulation. It's a weird comparison but the Superb's cabin feels like you have Airpods Pro in your ears on normal mode and the BMW feels the same but you have noise cancellation turned on, lol. It was just the wind noise at high speeds on the highway that was weirdly worse by quite the margin on the G22. So loud I almost felt the wind solely through the sound sensation. The Superb has acoustic windows while the test car didn't, though. If I were to order an M440i I'd definitely spec them again.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 01:44 PM   #47
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

After reading this I decided to sell the M340i and buy two Skoda Superb.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 02:53 PM   #48
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_seather View Post
Yeah, kickdown was faster on both Comfort and Sport with the wet DSG-7. Also, shifts are less noticeable on the DSG. But in slow start-stop traffic on second gear, the DSG can be infuriating.

The Superb has more road noise and worse overall insulation. It's a weird comparison but the Superb's cabin feels like you have Airpods Pro in your ears on normal mode and the BMW feels the same but you have noise cancellation turned on, lol. It was just the wind noise at high speeds on the highway that was weirdly worse by quite the margin on the G22. So loud I almost felt the wind solely through the sound sensation. The Superb has acoustic windows while the test car didn't, though. If I were to order an M440i I'd definitely spec them again.
Do you know much about the 6 speed DSG? Are they bad?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 01:48 AM   #49
stuarttunstall
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
Do you know much about the 6 speed DSG? Are they bad?
My Superb had the 6 Speed DSG 4x4 as long as the oil/filter is changed as recommended they are very good and a much better box than the 7 speed ..

The 7 had more issues which I think related to the oil used (recall was done) in the wet clutch where the 6 speed is dry..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 01:55 AM   #50
blue_seather
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G26 M440i xDrive

I've heard bad things about the dry ones. They tend to rattle on pavement, be a bit clunkier and have a shorter life-span. They put them on vehicles with no more than 300 nm of torque as otherwise they can't really handle it. Everything of 300 nm and above is wet.

I know the Superb 272/280 used to be a 6-speed one and moved on to a 7-speed, both wet. Haven't had the chance to drive a 6-speed one but the overall reception has been good for both of them. Maybe more so for the 7 speed because of a better fuel efficiency but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:48 AM   #51
stuarttunstall
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Mine was last of the old model, 2014 not sure how the later ones compare but in those days the 7 speed did have more issues
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 02:48 PM   #52
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

heh i discovered an old haunt for Skoda owners! ;p
Appreciate 0