Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Coding Comfort + Active Suspension

03-23-2024, 07:52 AM   #1
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Coding Comfort + Active Suspension

Somebody mentioned in another thread that it's possible to code in Comfort + Active Suspension to my 2021 M340i

Can this be done with Bimmercode?

Does it just display on the ID7 in the same way Sport + does when in Sport mode.

And lastly, would coding it in invalidate the warranty?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 09:02 AM   #2
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Yes you can do it with Bimmercode in Expert mode and yes it'll show up just like Sport +. As to warranty, allegedly BMW can detect any coding changes however whether the dealer will care or notice very much depends. There are loads of threads about it if you want to try and read up on it all.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 10:12 AM   #3
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnlyssg View Post
Yes you can do it with Bimmercode in Expert mode and yes it'll show up just like Sport +. As to warranty, allegedly BMW can detect any coding changes however whether the dealer will care or notice very much depends. There are loads of threads about it if you want to try and read up on it all.
Thanks I don't have either bimmercode or bimmerlink yet. I've read that having a "cable" to connect to the OBDII port in the car is faster and more reliable. Can you recommend one?

I know there are different versions available for the different generations of cars, but that's about all I know about them.

Has anybody here actually tried Comfort + Active Suspension? I think it might be ideal for town driving.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 10:18 AM   #4
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I have this one and a Lightning to Ethernet adapter and it all works fine. I have Adaptive Suspension and have coded Comfort +, it does feel different from the standard Comfort but it's not a massive difference, certainly nothing like the switch between Sport and Comfort.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 11:04 AM   #5
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I have this one and a Lightning to Ethernet adapter and it all works fine. I have Adaptive Suspension and have coded Comfort +, it does feel different from the standard Comfort but it's not a massive difference, certainly nothing like the switch between Sport and Comfort.
Cool!! Thanks! And you have a G20 or a G21? I only ask because the description states "For F- series" There certainly is a big difference between Comfort and Sport, that's for sure.

Would you say it's worth bothering with if that's all I really intend to do with Bimmercode?

Last edited by The_Tok'Ra; 03-23-2024 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 06:07 AM   #6
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I have a G20. As to cost/benefit: the cable and adapter were only about £15 but Bimmercode is £50 so it all depends how much you value your comfort!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 07:02 AM   #7
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tok'Ra View Post
Cool!! Thanks! And you have a G20 or a G21? I only ask because the description states "For F- series" There certainly is a big difference between Comfort and Sport, that's for sure.

Would you say it's worth bothering with if that's all I really intend to do with Bimmercode?

Bet it won't be though Tok'Ra! If you're anything like a lot of folk on here once you get the bug you'll be changing all sorts of settings!

That's why I've resisted the temptation to even go there, plus I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing and probably brick something!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 09:17 AM   #8
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Bet it won't be though Tok'Ra! If you're anything like a lot of folk on here once you get the bug you'll be changing all sorts of settings!

That's why I've resisted the temptation to even go there, plus I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing and probably brick something!

I have thought about buying bimmercode and bimmerlink for a while, but as you say, I'd also be tempted to tinker, and for me it's the possibility of "Sorry sir, you have invalidated your warranty" as an excuse to not cover a future warranty claim that I'd be concerned about.
Appreciate 1
bmnut813.50
      03-25-2024, 01:53 PM   #9
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have thought about buying bimmercode and bimmerlink for a while, but as you say, I'd also be tempted to tinker, and for me it's the possibility of "Sorry sir, you have invalidated your warranty" as an excuse to not cover a future warranty claim that I'd be concerned about.

Well there's certainly that aspect to be concerned about, I would be too, although the grief I'd get from my local dealer who both me and my wife have been with for over 25 years would be an even greater embarrassment!
I had a discussion with one of their senior techs a few years ago about coding and following that decided 'best not' as knowing my luck I'd probably end up knacking something and having to get them to sort it all out whilst standing there wearing a red face and donkey's lugs!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 04:05 PM   #10
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Well there's certainly that aspect to be concerned about, I would be too, although the grief I'd get from my local dealer who both me and my wife have been with for over 25 years would be an even greater embarrassment!
I had a discussion with one of their senior techs a few years ago about coding and following that decided 'best not' as knowing my luck I'd probably end up knacking something and having to get them to sort it all out whilst standing there wearing a red face and donkey's lugs!
From what I've read, an app like Bimmercode, even in expert mode is a realatively simple way of coding things to the car, but you have to be really carefull that you change the correct parameters and with correct values, because if you are not paying proper attention, things could go belly up very quickly.

For me, the warranty issue is more of a concern, seems to depend on the dealer whether they bother their ass, but changing paremeters in Bimmercode will mean that when the dealer reads the car, it will flag anything that is not 100% what they (or rather ISTA) expects it to be.
Appreciate 1
bmnut813.50
      03-25-2024, 04:09 PM   #11
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
From what I've read, an app like Bimmercode, even in expert mode is a realatively simple way of coding things to the car, but you have to be really carefull that you change the correct parameters and with correct values, because if you are not paying proper attention, things could go belly up very quickly.

For me, the warranty issue is more of a concern, seems to depend on the dealer whether they bother their ass, but changing paremeters in Bimmercode will mean that when the dealer reads the car, it will flag anything that is not 100% what they (or rather ISTA) expects it to be.
Yeah, think I’ll just leave it be!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 04:55 PM   #12
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, think I’ll just leave it be!
I'm still tempted TBH, I could always undo adding comfort + if I don't feel it makes much difference.

Also, any changes made with Bimmercode will be wiped out when an ID7 update is applied, and at least I know now that I can update the car myself, with my 25A charger to get te batteries up to charge and mean the parameters required to install an update.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 05:12 PM   #13
Charlisdad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340D, 320d M Sport

If you stick with standard mode on Bimmercode, everything is safe. Coded pretty much the same on my last two G20's and when it goes in to BMW, they just wipe the coding and rest to factory standards with no issues. Get the car home and twenty minutes everything is back how I like it. Default driving in adaptive mode. 5 x turn signal instead of 3. Bowers and Wilkins sound profiles are the main things I change.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 04:24 PM   #14
andbrads
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I liked Comfort Plus, the ride was very comfortable but still controlled, the steering light but still communicative. It gives the car a nice loping / wafting quality. The biggest surprise was what it did to the gearbox, it really uses the torque and lugs the engine, and the car starts off in second gear.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2024, 05:04 PM   #15
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Thanks guys! I've ordered the cable lnlyssg recommended, and an Anker USB-C to ethernet adapter. Once they arrive, I'll buy Bimmercode. Alas I need Expert mode to code in Comfort +.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 03:08 AM   #16
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

The settings you need to change are fairly simple ones, just changing a 0 to a 1 so there's very little chance of screwing it up!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 04:01 AM   #17
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
The settings you need to change are fairly simple ones, just changing a 0 to a 1 so there's very little chance of screwing it up!
Yup! Should be a straight forward process, I might try the Bowers and Wilkins Audio profile and the 5 x turn signals as well.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2024, 05:05 AM   #18
Trevski220
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

I’ve coded comfort + and can hand on heart say that I feel no difference whatsoever between comfort and comfort +

See attached image for what needs to changed, I used BimmerCode in expert mode but it’s really easy to do, I’d just question if it’s worth it
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-28-2024, 05:23 PM   #19
Charlisdad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340D, 320d M Sport

Quote:
Yup! Should be a straight forward process, I might try the Bowers and Wilkins Audio profile and the 5 x turn signals as well.
I would highly recommend these two changes.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2024, 03:00 PM   #20
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Hey folks,

OK so my ENET cable and Ethernet to USB-C adapter too.

Only thing is... I'm not sure the resistor that is wired between pins 8 and 16 (that's top left and bottom left in the pic attached) is the right one.

There is a DIY ENET cable build PDF on Bimmerpost that states that resistor should be 510 ohms, or actually between 506 and 560. But the resistor in mine is 1,500 ohms.

Will the cable still work with a 1.5K ohm resistor on a G20 series car?

I can change the resistor if required, no biggie, I'm not sure I have any 510 ohm 1/4 watt resistors kicking around though I'd need to go rummage.

TIA !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 03:57 PM   #21
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

So... Just a follow up on this.

I have checked that my ENET cable works, and it does.

Bimmercode will quite happily connect to the car and read all the modules w/o any issues, but I have been reading more (mostly on the US forum) about peoples experiences when coding in Comfort + and quite a few report that they feel no real difference in the suspension, or it feels bouncy.

I suppose it might, when you get used the the relatively firm suspension in the M340i, (and BMW's in general) compared to most cars.

But, bottom line, I'm not sure I want to cough up £40 for Bimmercode to code in Comfort + only to find no appreciable difference between Comfort and Comfort + on a G20/G21 3 series car.

From what I've read, Comfort + is really meant for heavier cars like the 5 series and the X7 etc where the weight of the car would have more impact on a change in the active dampers settings, but apparently Alpina use it on there 3 series cars.

There also seems to be quite a debate on whether Comfort + can be selected as an individual driving mode, which Is something I'd want as I'm happy enough with Comfort for the steering and gearbox setting.

More reading to do with this I guess to try and find answers.

The 5 x blink indicators and the B&W audio profile would be nice to have, but again, worth buying the app just for that? Questionable...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 05:13 PM   #22
Martsatart
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i G21

I found it worth it just to turn off stop start
Appreciate 0