Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Bumper removal...

01-23-2023, 12:23 PM   #1
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

Bumper removal...

So many months back some kind person put their foot through my lower RHS front grill, finally got around to fixing it today...

Suffice to say I did need to remove the bumper, I used the link below which covered most points, well except for...

The extra parking sensor on each side and how much force is needed to remove the PDC sensor!

The wheel well lining that doesn't just move nicely out of the way and keeps scraping your hands

How fiddly it is to get the two screws out that attach the bumper to the side trim and that the bit of plastic they screw through can fall out and be an arse to then hold in place!

The fact your bumper wont just pop off nicely, you'll have to use what seems like far too much force to get it off

And then actually getting the grill out is even worse, it's like BMW have used the softest and yet brittlest plastic for things that need to be moved out of the way

All in all, I kind of enjoyed it, everything went back and works (touch wood) and I felt rather manly...

Soul_Glo13347.00
VipinLJ1941.50
      01-23-2023, 02:49 PM   #2
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksandygill View Post
So many months back some kind person put their foot through my lower RHS front grill, finally got around to fixing it today...

Suffice to say I did need to remove the bumper, I used the link below which covered most points, well except for...

The extra parking sensor on each side and how much force is needed to remove the PDC sensor!

The wheel well lining that doesn't just move nicely out of the way and keeps scraping your hands

How fiddly it is to get the two screws out that attach the bumper to the side trim and that the bit of plastic they screw through can fall out and be an arse to then hold in place!

The fact your bumper wont just pop off nicely, you'll have to use what seems like far too much force to get it off

And then actually getting the grill out is even worse, it's like BMW have used the softest and yet brittlest plastic for things that need to be moved out of the way

All in all, I kind of enjoyed it, everything went back and works (touch wood) and I felt rather manly...

Agree with every single point there. I removed mine to replace the lower outer passenger grill after a rock cracked one of the plastic hex vents.

I found it all fairly easy other than clipping the large plastic trim that sits in front of the vents. Took forever to get all the clips back in.

I’ve a decent set of tools which helped - but very over engineered compared to my previous f30.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 01:03 PM   #3
jon0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d XDrive G20

So it wasn't necessary to remove the grill? Just as per his video?
Appreciate 0