Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK AC Schnitzer sports suspension for cars with adaptive suspension

02-24-2022, 04:40 AM   #1
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

AC Schnitzer sports suspension for cars with adaptive suspension

Superb AC Schnitzer sports suspension (matched lowering springs and sports dampers) is now available for all rear wheel drive (sDrive) 3 and 4 series (G2X) with adaptive suspension.

Sports suspension for cars with xDrive and adaptive is still in development.

With AC Schnitzer sports suspension the adaptive damping function is deleted. As with the F series, AC Schnitzer found in testing that beautifully matched non-adaptive springs and dampers still outperformed any kind of adaptive damper in all driving scenarios.

For 3 series G2X: https://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/spor...om-10739-p.asp

For 4 series G2X: https://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/spor...23-11495-p.asp

AC Schnitzer sports suspension can be ordered and fitted at approx 60 dealers in the UK and Ireland: https://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/dealers-4-w.asp
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 10:00 AM   #2
gregch
Private
Rep
Drives: G22 420i

I have a 420i MSport G22 with the standard *non-adaptive* sports suspension, the damping is well controlled, and composure over broken surfaces is great, but it's undeniably very firm - a little too firm for my taste.

I test drove a couple of the cars that had adaptive and they were, in Comfort mode, just about perfect. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a car with non-adaptive MSport suspension to test drive and was told that the smaller wheels and non-RFT tyres would make my car feel just like the cars I drove (larger RFTs with adaptive suspension).

So my question I guess is would something like this be an option to replace the standard MSport non-adaptive sports springs/dampers on my car, and would it give the same lowered stance and composure as I have, but with greater comfort?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 10:50 AM   #3
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregch View Post
I have a 420i MSport G22 with the standard *non-adaptive* sports suspension.....Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a car with non-adaptive MSport suspension to test drive
Hi Greg,

I'm a little confused about what you have at the moment. Are you saying you have an M Sport car but without M Sport suspension?

Anyway, AC Schnitzer Sports suspension will lower your car a little from where it is now, but keep the comfort. Maybe even improve it.

Take a look at these customer reviews from the previous generation 3 series:

https://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/spor...rom-2135-p.asp

The components we use are better quality and better matched to each other than the stuff BMW uses, which is where the improvements come from.
Appreciate 1
gregch26.50
      02-25-2022, 02:37 AM   #4
gregch
Private
Rep

No, it's an MSport with MSport suspension (which is the base level "standard" for 4 Series in the UK, afaik). When I say "standard" I really mean it does not have adaptive suspension. Apologies for the confusion.

This issue I have is that I tried a couple of G22 cars, both fitted with the Pro Pack (ie adaptive suspension) and found their suspension and damping every bit as composed as my car but in their adaptive "comfort" mode they were much more, well, comfortable!

My car (which has MSport sports suspension but not the 'pro pack' adaptive suspension) has the same low stance, composed ride, etc, but feels very firm, to the extent that it's nowhere near as comfortable, even on smaller wheels and softer tyres.

I guess what this probably tells me, now I come to think about it more, is that the adaptive suspension is very likely identical to mine in terms of springs etc but its the adaptive dampers - when put into comfort mode - making the difference? Is it possible to replicate that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Hi Greg,

I'm a little confused about what you have at the moment. Are you saying you have an M Sport car but without M Sport suspension?

Anyway, AC Schnitzer Sports suspension will lower your car a little from where it is now, but keep the comfort. Maybe even improve it.

Take a look at these customer reviews from the previous generation 3 series:

https://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/spor...rom-2135-p.asp

The components we use are better quality and better matched to each other than the stuff BMW uses, which is where the improvements come from.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 03:58 AM   #5
Lorcan
Rep

Suspension is quite a subjective matter i.e. people perceive it differently, which is why I wanted you to see the customer reviews and get a feel for the consensus. (By the way, we don't edit customer reviews or refuse to publish any negative comments - we just don't get any )

There is a difference between harsh and firm. Ours is firm, but always supple, and not harsh. One of the comments we often get about our suspension is that it "feels expensive". That doesn't mean it will feel like a 7 series, it means it removes the harshness but keeps the body control.

Not a direct comparison, I know, but you're welcome to test drive our M135i demo car if you wish. It has our coilover suspension, but will give you a good idea of the ride comfort we aim for. It has 20" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 04:04 AM   #6
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Are you expecting the upcoming xDrive version to delete the adaptive function as well?

And will the existing ACS springs be compatible (if you already have them)? i.e. will there be an option to just upgrade the dampers
'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 04:26 AM   #7
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44RTT View Post
Are you expecting the upcoming xDrive version to delete the adaptive function as well?

And will the existing ACS springs be compatible (if you already have them)? i.e. will there be an option to just upgrade the dampers
Yes the xDrive version will also delete the adaptive function, and for the same reason. Our dampers work better without it.

And yes the sports kit contains the same springs as our spring kit, so just like the F series you will be able to buy the springs and then the dampers on their own later if you wish (or when the stock dampers get tired) for the difference in price. You'll be paying two lots of labour in this case though, as it's essentially the same job to fit the springs or the whole sports kit. You'll see in lots of the reviews comments like "wish I had done this earlier", so if you can afford it it's best to bite the bullet and get it done in one hit.
Appreciate 1
N44RTT77.50
      02-25-2022, 04:55 AM   #8
gregch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Suspension is quite a subjective matter i.e. people perceive it differently, which is why I wanted you to see the customer reviews and get a feel for the consensus. (By the way, we don't edit customer reviews or refuse to publish any negative comments - we just don't get any )

There is a difference between harsh and firm. Ours is firm, but always supple, and not harsh. One of the comments we often get about our suspension is that it "feels expensive". That doesn't mean it will feel like a 7 series, it means it removes the harshness but keeps the body control.

Not a direct comparison, I know, but you're welcome to test drive our M135i demo car if you wish. It has our coilover suspension, but will give you a good idea of the ride comfort we aim for. It has 20" wheels.
Ah, all of that makes sense. My car doesn't feel harsh, it does actually feel "expensive" (weirdly, I know what you mean), it's beautifully composed, it's just a little firm for my personal taste.

I guess what I'd ideally like is just non-adaptive dampers as similar as possible to the adaptive dampers set to "comfort", but I'm not sure that's actually possible - and I guess hard to judge where these dampers compare exactly.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 05:23 AM   #9
Lorcan
Rep

Sounds like you want SE springs and dampers on your M Sport car really.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 08:48 AM   #10
gregch
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you want SE springs and dampers on your M Sport car really.
Well, no, I'm not sure I do really. I like the handling, stance and composure of my car's MSport sports suspension as it is, but the adaptive "pro pack" dampers in comfort mode delivered all of that but with a tiny bit more ride comfort.

I suspect that the *springs* on the MSport sports and MSport sports adaptive suspensions are the same (I might be wrong?)

So, I *think* what I'd like is passive dampers equivalent to the adaptive ones set in 'comfort' mode (rather than the "SE" spec springs & danpers that are standard in Europe and would be comfortable for sure but maybe a little higher riding and not so sharp).

I had wondered if it was possible a third party supplier produced such a thing, hence crashing into your thread - but of course your thread is really about a specific product which maybe isn't quite what I need. Hope this all makes sense to someone and sorry for hijacking!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:41 AM   #11
Lorcan
Rep

AC Schnitzer sports suspension is now available for 3 and 4 series (G2X) with xDrive and adaptive, including the M340ix.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 01:05 PM   #12
WernerM340IX
Rep
Drives: G21 M340IX 2023 LCI

Quote:
AC Schnitzer sports suspension is now available for 3 and 4 series (G2X) with xDrive and adaptive, including the M340ix.

Hey everyone.
I see that a few people here have lowered their BMW with AC springs.
Did you have the car coded for the height? I read that there are some problems that cause the rear to become very stiff.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 03:48 AM   #13
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerM340IX View Post
Hey everyone.
I see that a few people here have lowered their BMW with AC springs.
Did you have the car coded for the height? I read that there are some problems that cause the rear to become very stiff.
No coding is required, but we do recommend wheel alignment when suspension is fitted.

I've not heard of the rear becoming stiff, but there is one brand that, let's say, is more concerned with appearance than comfort. Not ours, obvs.
Appreciate 1
P-ToK72342.00
      01-18-2024, 01:27 AM   #14
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I have to agree with Lorcan.
I had ACS Springs fitted by Rossiters not long after buying the car in April 2022. I opted for ACS mainly due to the visual aspect, the stock G21 appeared too high but with the ACS springs it sits just right without looking too low (in my opinion of course).
I have had no issues whatsoever with ride quality and the handling was improved.
I am yet to see how BMW react as i have an issue to report with juddering breaks, will they try and blame it on the fact it's lowered?

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 11:00 AM   #15
Bianchi Dave
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
I have to agree with Lorcan.
I had ACS Springs fitted by Rossiters not long after buying the car in April 2022. I opted for ACS mainly due to the visual aspect, the stock G21 appeared too high but with the ACS springs it sits just right without looking too low (in my opinion of course).
I have had no issues whatsoever with ride quality and the handling was improved.
I am yet to see how BMW react as i have an issue to report with juddering breaks, will they try and blame it on the fact it's lowered?
Even if they blamed that (can't think why if alignment was done) you should be fine with ACS fitted by Rossiters, keeping warranty intact.

Warped discs maybe, that's the usual culprit?
Appreciate 1
P-ToK72342.00
      01-18-2024, 11:18 AM   #16
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchi Dave View Post
Even if they blamed that (can't think why if alignment was done) you should be fine with ACS fitted by Rossiters, keeping warranty intact.

We'll see what happens i guess.
I am swapping the wheels back to standard (probably without spacers too) before i take it in for it's 1st service next month.
Maybe i'll be able to see something then myself although i don't claim to know much about cars other than how to spend a fortune on them

Appreciate 1
      01-18-2024, 12:06 PM   #17
Bianchi Dave
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
We'll see what happens i guess.
I am swapping the wheels back to standard (probably without spacers too) before i take it in for it's 1st service next month.
Maybe i'll be able to see something then myself although i don't claim to know much about cars other than how to spend a fortune on them
After posting I noticed another brakes thread on the front page. I guess you've seen it?

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2075425
Appreciate 1
P-ToK72342.00
      01-18-2024, 12:13 PM   #18
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
After posting I noticed another brakes thread on the front page. I guess you've seen it?

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2075425
Funny enough yes but literally after the last few discussions.

Last edited by P-ToK72; 01-18-2024 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 01:48 AM   #19
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:

Are ACS lowering springs the only ones that don’t affect BMW warranty.?
      01-19-2024, 03:21 AM   #20
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboysafc View Post
I believe that is the case but, if I'm honest, I don't know to what extent the warranty is covered.

Lorcan would be your man to give the best answer.

Appreciate 1
      01-19-2024, 03:58 AM   #21
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboysafc View Post
AC Schnitzer springs don't have any more "consequential loss" warranty than any other brand. They did when BMW GB were the importers up to 2007, but this is no longer the case.

Having said that, they do have model-specific TUV certification and are sold and fitted by some BMW dealers, and AC Schnitzer are part of the Kohl Group, one of the largest BMW dealer groups in Germany, so they will do their best to help.

If a warranty claim is refused due to the springs get the refusal IN WRITING and send it to us, if we supplied them, or AC Schnitzer UK (now The Performance Company). We have an excellent track record of defending such cases.
Appreciate 3
      01-19-2024, 05:15 AM   #22
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
AC Schnitzer springs don't have any more "consequential loss" warranty than any other brand. They did when BMW GB were the importers up to 2007, but this is no longer the case.

Having said that, they do have model-specific TUV certification and are sold and fitted by some BMW dealers, and AC Schnitzer are part of the Kohl Group, one of the largest BMW dealer groups in Germany, so they will do their best to help.

If a warranty claim is refused due to the springs get the refusal IN WRITING and send it to us, if we supplied them, or AC Schnitzer UK (now The Performance Company). We have an excellent track record of defending such cases.
Thats good to know Lorcan
Thanks for your response.

Appreciate 0