Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK New Owner Questions

02-01-2024, 01:28 AM   #23
Arthur55
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

My car has come back from the detailer and the external black trim looks so much better..........so it can be done........just a shame BMW don't present their used cars better......
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:56 AM   #24
B6WAF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive Touring (2023)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
Damp microfibre if it's just dust. For fingerprints I use the same screen cleaner solution as I use on my laptop / monitors.
Over the years I've tried every windscreen cleaner there is (I have about 6 part bottles in my garage). They all claim not to smear or leave streaks but they all do. Recently I started using a home made 70% dilution of isopropyl alcohol (something I started mixing for the Mrs to use as a hand sanitizer during COVID) and it's the best of them all. I now use it on car windscreen, house windows, computer monitors, phones and tablets. No contaminants and it evaporates in seconds. That's 70% IPA, 30% water.
Appreciate 1
bmnut813.50
      02-01-2024, 03:01 AM   #25
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6WAF View Post
Over the years I've tried every windscreen cleaner there is (I have about 6 part bottles in my garage). They all claim not to smear or leave streaks but they all do.
When I said screen above I was referring to the curved display, not the windscreen. Sorry, should have been clearer on that.

For the windows I've found Autoglym Fast Glass to be OK. I'm going to try this technique using rinseless wash next time I need to give them a proper clean though. I've used it on the outside of the car windows (and house windows!) and it seems to work well, just not tried it on the inside yet. Might give the IPA a try if that doesn't work!
Appreciate 2
B6WAF77.50
      02-02-2024, 05:26 AM   #26
Arthur55
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

Re the black trim I've just spoken to a BMW bodyshop manager, the black external trim is solid black plastic all the way through so it can be polished. He recommends using a very mild polish after to keep it looking well, almost like a car wax.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 07:51 AM   #27
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6WAF View Post
Over the years I've tried every windscreen cleaner there is (I have about 6 part bottles in my garage). They all claim not to smear or leave streaks but they all do. Recently I started using a home made 70% dilution of isopropyl alcohol (something I started mixing for the Mrs to use as a hand sanitizer during COVID) and it's the best of them all. I now use it on car windscreen, house windows, computer monitors, phones and tablets. No contaminants and it evaporates in seconds. That's 70% IPA, 30% water.
Used isopropyl alcohol for years ( fifty to be exact since grammar school chemistry lessons!) and it's brilliant stuff. It's also excellent at dissolving all of those irritating glue residues you get from self-adhesive labels!

I buy the 99% concentrated stuff mail order from some chemical supply company APC Pure I believe they're called based in Hyde in Cheshire.
Appreciate 2
B6WAF77.50
      02-04-2024, 10:42 AM   #28
B6WAF
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive Touring (2023)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post

I buy the 99% concentrated stuff mail order from some chemical supply company APC Pure I believe they're called based in Hyde in Cheshire.
Loads of the stuff on Amazon - I bought this one last time:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0