Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 330e Random Preconditioning?

06-02-2023, 07:21 AM   #1
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

330e Random Preconditioning?

This morning, I got up earlier than normal, and was sitting at my desk (which shares a wall with the garage), and I heard the car start making sounds like the fan/climate control had turned on.

It's happened a couple of times now... the first time I thought maybe I had somehow set the climate timer wrong. Maybe it does this every morning around 5am, and I don't realize it, because I'm not up yet.

I checked the app, and the preconditioning/fan icon was not spinning. I used the app to turn on preconditioning, and then to turn it off, but the car continued making noise. I went out, unlocked the car and unplugged it, and then it stopped.

We have the car charging set to "Immediate" and the wall unit only supplies power when the rates drop at midnight. So we plug in before bed, it starts charging at midnight, and is usually done charging by 2:45am or so. We do not have a departure time set, and the "Automatic climate control for departure" setting is turned off. (I work from home and don't have a daily commute, so these settings wouldn't be useful to us.)

Is this normal behavior? If so, what's it doing? If not, should I be concerned?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 07:27 AM   #2
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

Let me add to this. I just remembered that the wall charger has an app that graphs output. There’s a short spike every day around 5am (sometimes earlier). It does appear as though it may do this every day.

Questions remain: is this normal? What’s it doing?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 09:17 AM   #3
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I know on our Volt the system would occasionally run the AC so the battery could cool, this might be what yours is doing.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 11:56 AM   #4
JaminJ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e

I don’t think mine behaves that way. I recall a few months back where my preconditioning misbehaved. My cars settings was different from the app setting. I believe I solved it my deleting the app on my phone then reinstalling.
Appreciate 0