Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions OIL Cooler Guard

04-07-2022, 11:35 PM   #1
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

OIL Cooler Guard

Hello All,

I own a 2021 BMW M340i M Performance Edition with a lower under-front bumper cooling radiator.
This piece is nice but very exposed, hence I want to install the Oil Cooler Guard developed by Fall-Line Motorsports.

https://ind-distribution.com/product...db1c968a&_ss=r

The unit was successfully installed on M3 chassis but I don't know of it fits the M340. The unit is not cheap so before placing my order through IND, I would like to know if someone installed this part or if there is a tech in this area that can confirm fitment.

I am in discussions with IND as we speak yet, they could not confirm fitment which I find weird for a company that knows those vehicles upside down. Shouldn't a specific BMW software (exploded view and part number) still provide enough information toe see if it fits?
I am a little bit confused by their statement given the fact that they are posting all kind of works on these cars but nobody in there can confirm if the part will fit or not.

This is their reply:
we have not confirmed fitment to the G20 M340 chassis. This oil guard was developed for the G8x M3 & M4 models. A VIN number is not necessary because we are not able to confirm/deny fitment utilizing the VIN number.
Attempting to fit this oil guard to a vehicle other than the G80 M3 & G82 M4 would be at your own discretion

So, does someone in here tried or seen this part installed on an G20 M340i?

thank You
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 01:53 AM   #2
Laylo21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...bly-g20-m340i/
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2022, 05:30 AM   #3
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylo21 View Post
This is exactly what I was going to recommend!
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2022, 08:26 AM   #4
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

It's just crazy to me that the engineers @ BMW never thought about OEM fitment from factory. My car is fully loaded and this was the only feature I didn't order specifically because of the exposure point and risk to damage.

I had posted about this concern during the order process but some fanboys waved off such concerns. It's good that you're going the extra mile to protect your investment.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 08:33 AM   #5
iifymbro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
It's just crazy to me that the engineers @ BMW never thought about OEM fitment from factory. My car is fully loaded and this was the only feature I didn't order specifically because of the exposure point and risk to damage.

I had posted about this concern during the order process but some fanboys waved off such concerns. It's good that you're going the extra mile to protect your investment.
it's just extremely rare to have any issue with it given where it's placed, it isn't fanboyism to say as much lol
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791436.00
      04-08-2022, 08:49 AM   #6
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

How can the oil cooler possibly do its job with the Turner solid skid plate?

BTW....I never had any issues with my m340 ....
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 02:28 PM   #7
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

It's a non-issue. I never had a problem and I drove mine like I stole it.

Quite a bit like the pedantics who swear every update is messing with their exhaust note.

It's just obsessive behavior.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2022, 12:06 PM   #8
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylo21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
This is exactly what I was going to recommend!
Thank you for your replies.

Very nice and dandy those pieces, not to mention they are cheaper that the one I was looking for.

The problem is, I believe that this work an M340i without M Performance package that don't have the bottom radiator...
Otherwise, how the radiator can benefit from the air flow?

I was reading somewhere last year that the lip that is in the front of the radiator is made that way to induce air into the radiator; or those -super fancy otherwise shields- will not do that.

I would like to be wrong in this one as I to would like to put some strong metal shield in there.

what do you think?

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-09-2022 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 12:09 PM   #9
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Mine is one of those Special edition M Performance loaded as well. It blew me away to see that exposed radiator. One bumper or a higher sidewalk and you are screwed
Appreciate 1
zazzau769.00
      04-09-2022, 12:13 PM   #10
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
It's a non-issue. I never had a problem and I drove mine like I stole it.

Quite a bit like the pedantics who swear every update is messing with their exhaust note.

It's just obsessive behavior.
I will call it care for the car. My M340 sits quite low with those rims and is very exposed. I believe that a guard should have been installed in there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 12:15 PM   #11
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlapicki View Post
How can the oil cooler possibly do its job with the Turner solid skid plate?

BTW....I never had any issues with my m340 ....
That's my question too.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #12
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Should I understand from this thread that not one person installed an oil guard on their vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 09:07 PM   #13
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Any update on this guys?
I would like to get some kind of guard or cover for mine!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 09:57 PM   #14
nm2003
2023 M340i LCI xDrive (on order)
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i LCI

And while we are at it, I would like a guard to protect my rims as well, from the gutters.

2023 (Australian Spec) G20 LCI M340 xDrive - Portimao Blue - Executive Pack, M Technology Pack, Carbon Fibre Trim
Appreciate 1
TX55257.50
      02-12-2023, 09:57 PM   #15
mondayze
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi LCI

would the tuner motorsports skid plate be worth having since I have lowered my car?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 10:31 PM   #16
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep

Quote:
It's one thing if the design SEEMS problematic.

It's another if it actually is.

And based on speaking with multiple BMW master techs, both at dealerships and independent, it's not. It wasn't. It isn't.

It's a problem in the minds of overreaching BMW owners who nitpick over every single package and feature of their car. These are the same people who swear their exhaust note changes with each and every idrive update.

Be offended and clutch your pearls when the issue is an issue. Until then, drive your car and enjoy. Life is too short.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 06:26 AM   #17
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:

And based on speaking with multiple BMW master techs, both at dealerships and independent, it's not. It wasn't. It isn't.

It's a problem in the minds of overreaching BMW owners who nitpick over every single package and feature of their car. These are the same people who swear their exhaust note changes with each and every idrive update.

Be offended and clutch your pearls when the issue is an issue. Until then, drive your car and enjoy. Life is too short.
Amen Ben.......nuff said...
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 06:37 AM   #18
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

It is problematic as several techs told me that few vehicles came with such damage. I am very closed to the BMW world.
I guess that your presumption of nothing wrong will disappear once you will be the victim.
Based on your input, IND approach is wrong as well as there is just a "SEEMS" problem.
Either way, some of us would like to do it as some of us have the mindset that prevention is better than fixing it. Not the least, nothing wrong with the extent you want to go in your car.
Some people like to put a bra on their car, while others are wrapping it all. Some go further by applying ceramic coat even over the film. No need to criticize someone's level of care.
Appreciate 2
zazzau769.00
      02-14-2023, 09:28 AM   #19
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
It is problematic as several techs told me that few vehicles came with such damage. I am very closed to the BMW world.
I guess that your presumption of nothing wrong will disappear once you will be the victim.
Based on your input, IND approach is wrong as well as there is just a "SEEMS" problem.
Either way, some of us would like to do it as some of us have the mindset that prevention is better than fixing it. Not the least, nothing wrong with the extent you want to go in your car.
Some people like to put a bra on their car, while others are wrapping it all. Some go further by applying ceramic coat even over the film. No need to criticize someone's level of care.

I have zero clue what you're trying to say, as only half of this reply makes any sense.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 05:58 AM   #20
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Hello All,

I own a 2021 BMW M340i M Performance Edition with a lower under-front bumper cooling radiator.
This piece is nice but very exposed, hence I want to install the Oil Cooler Guard developed by Fall-Line Motorsports.

https://ind-distribution.com/product...db1c968a&_ss=r

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtLwdfrkYF0

The unit was successfully installed on M3 chassis but I don't know of it fits the M340. The unit is not cheap so before placing my order through IND, I would like to know if someone installed this part or if there is a tech in this area that can confirm fitment.

I am in discussions with IND as we speak yet, they could not confirm fitment which I find weird for a company that knows those vehicles upside down. Shouldn't a specific BMW software (exploded view and part number) still provide enough information toe see if it fits?
I am a little bit confused by their statement given the fact that they are posting all kind of works on these cars but nobody in there can confirm if the part will fit or not.

This is their reply:
we have not confirmed fitment to the G20 M340 chassis. This oil guard was developed for the G8x M3 & M4 models. A VIN number is not necessary because we are not able to confirm/deny fitment utilizing the VIN number.

Attempting to fit this oil guard to a vehicle other than the G80 M3 & G82 M4 would be at your own discretion.

So, does someone in here tried or seen this part installed on an G20 M340i?

thank You
Imran@Evolve
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2714.00
      02-15-2023, 09:17 AM   #21
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Yep. While visiting L.A last week, I went to one of the dealerships to get a second opinion about steering heater and the foreman jokingly asked if I came in for a damaged cooler. Apparently he was working on a car that looked like mine that was brought in for a damaged cooler. He said the car had to be towed there.
So yeah the poster can presume things all they want until it happens to them. Beyond that I just didn’t want to deal with having something more to maintain. If I was leasing the car for 2-3 years more than likely I would have opted for the package. As my last ICE for the next 8 years or so that was just a hard NO for me. To each their own.
Appreciate 1
Teutonic2714.00
      02-15-2023, 10:49 AM   #22
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
That is exactly correct, the failure probability can be low, but once u are hit, the probability becomes 100%.

E.g., a friend's F30 335i M-sport comes with exposed auxiliary radiator low in front bumper, he got strained on freeway when a rock punctured the radiator. The extra components are great for heat management at the cost of extra exposure.
Appreciate 2
Teutonic2714.00
zazzau769.00