Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 2019 jerk/thump during ELECTRIC acceleration

03-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #1
MichaelEr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20 2019

G20 2019 jerk/thump during ELECTRIC acceleration

Hey,
I have got my 330e about a year ago in Dravit Grey, and it is all nice and fun.

Yet, I have noticed there's a weird feeling when accelerating hard in ELECTRIC only mode, some sort of a transmission/gearbox thump/bump/pull, whatever you'd call it.
(And no, the ICE didn't kick in, it wasn't in Hybrid mode)

Say I want to pull of a red light or something along these lines, I never floor though, it but I do accelerate it hard, and it been already twice that I felt this.

Now, I realize there is no gearbox invovled in the acceleration of the car in Electric mode (at least not in the sense of changing gears like it does with the ICE on), but it's there.

It doesn't happen when I accelerat gently.

Anyone else ever felt that?
I should mention there's no real power drop or any lights lighting up, just this feeling.

Thank you!

Last edited by MichaelEr; 03-22-2021 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 04:26 AM   #2
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelEr View Post
Now, I realize there is no gearbox invovled in the acceleration of the car in Electric mode (at least not in the sense of changing gears like it does with the ICE on), but it's there.

Actually, I am pretty sure Electric mode does use the Gearbox (simply use paddles to prove it )

I have found this in Electric/Hybrid/Sport when you accelerate fairly hard, it is not nearly as sooth as I expected, it should be transparent, but you really feel it, annoying
Appreciate 1
ovesund83.50
      03-23-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Actually, I am pretty sure Electric mode does use the Gearbox (simply use paddles to prove it )

I have found this in Electric/Hybrid/Sport when you accelerate fairly hard, it is not nearly as sooth as I expected, it should be transparent, but you really feel it, annoying
Agree on using the gearbox. Remember that in the BMWs, the electric motor is inside the transmission housing and replaces the torque converter.

I have found that around 30-40 mph there is a slight hesitation when driving in electric mode. Could that be what you are referring to?
Appreciate 0