Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes M Sport Differential vs. without M-Sport Differential

09-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

M Sport Differential vs. without M-Sport Differential

Has anyone tried driving the G20 with and without the M-Sport Differential for the 330 Xdrive?

I know it's included for the m340i, but for those with the G20 330 there's an optional Track handling package as well that includes the M-Sport Differential. For us Canadians, M-Sport Differential an À la carte option for 2019s.

From my research I heard M-Sport Differential improves cornering, handling on the road, but even more so for the track. Does it help driving in inclement weather (i.e. snow, ice, with proper tires, and rain?) Anyone chime in?

From my understanding the F30, the M-Sport Differential was mechanical, only offered with manual transmission or Rear Wheel drive. I believe this generation G20 the M-Sport Differential is electro-mechanical and can be opted with the Xdrive.

Would like to hear thoughts from owners with and without the M-Sport Differential on their G20?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 12:39 AM   #2
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The F30 LSD was only available as a dealer-installed part. (i.e. you had to buy it and get it installed after purchase of your car). It was only available for RWD cars but was available for both automatic and manual cars. So very few F30 cars have LSDs as it was very expensive to purchase and install.

I haven't driven the G20 specifically without it, but I will say that an LSD will always improve handling and control. An added benefit of it is that it will improve grip in inclement conditions such as snow or rain.

The G20 diff is also mechanical but the lockup clutch is electronically actuated. This is not to be confused with the ADB (automatic differential brake) or stability control which actuates the brakes on slipping wheels to send torque to the wheels with traction. This system simply sucks if you're used to driving a car with a mechanical LSD, but it is better than nothing. I would highly recommend outfitting your car with an LSD if you like to go on spirited drives. I used to have a RWD car with an LSD, and with winter tires that thing was very sure-footed in snow. I never got stuck in any parking spots or driving through deep snow drifts.
Appreciate 1
A6bullet336.00
      10-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Get the LSD and be happy

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I have a M340i loaner car for the past week and I've notice it handles flat like an M car, with no traction lost, around heavy, sharp turns.. It just glides; like a lizard on ice..

After a little compare and contrast, I notice it has the same exact electronic torque-vectoring LSD as the M2.

That's surprising BMW now places that discerning technology in unofficial M models. That use to be the separating factor between both variants, now they all the same.

I have to say, with the B58 motor, LSD and 4S tires, this 4 door sedan has supercar agility..
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      10-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I have a M340i loaner car for the past week and I've notice it handles flat like an M car, with no traction lost, around heavy, sharp turns.. It just glides; like a lizard on ice..

After a little compare and contrast, I notice it has the same exact electronic torque-vectoring LSD as the M2.

That's surprising BMW now places that discerning technology in unofficial M models. That use to be the separating factor between both variants, now they all the same.

I have to say, with the B58 motor, LSD and 4S tires, this 4 door sedan is car has supercar agility..
Pretty nice car for a loaner
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      02-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21 ELSD

Does the LSD react differently in various driving modes?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #7
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIOBLAST View Post
Does the LSD react differently in various driving modes?
From my understanding the M-Sport Differential helps the vehicle react to different driving conditions:

-Aggressive cornering and slides
-Slippery/icy road conditions, when corning or straightaways.

No one has actually reviewed or test comparison with and without the M Sport Differential (LSD). I could only find the video here link below where Robert Rothmiller from BMW Driving Dynamics team, briefly explains the optional Differential: (Timeframe 11:45)

If you do get it option, feel free to share your experience..
Appreciate 2
3erMan153.00
      05-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #8
claudioagmfilho
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: X3MC+320i M+ 330i M Sport

i have a bmw 330i g20 m sport 2020, with m suspention laser lights, upgraded brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Get the LSD and be happy
i there i am from recife in brazil south america, and our cars come with eather an m sport ou 330i regular
my car came with upgrade brakes m suspention laser lights and a m sport differential
same as an m car as they said
its stage 2 now with 350hp and 50nm of torque on the engine
      05-23-2020, 10:52 PM   #9
ryivnx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5Comp, E46M3 6MT, 328d, M340i

My question then if this diff is the same as the one on M2 (or similar) why does BMW not recommend diff flush after break in period like I had to do on my M4?
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 03:50 AM   #10
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

What I love about the g20 (aside from more horses) is the LSD. YUM!
Appreciate 0