Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes M Sport suspension vs. M Sport adaptive suspension

03-19-2020, 03:03 AM   #1
LFMdk
Registered
Rep
Drives: Peugeot

M Sport suspension vs. M Sport adaptive suspension

Hi,
Anyone who knows if the M Sport adaptive suspension lowers the car further 1 cm compared to the normal M Sport suspension, or if it is lowered 1 cm in total with either suspension?

I am considering adding adaptive suspension, but would like to know your thoughts on the difference between the regular M Sport suspension and adaptive suspension - is the difference in comfort noticeable or is mostly the same? I didn’t feel the standard M Sport suspension to be uncomfortable, but the test drive was also on pretty smooth tarmac. Let me hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 03:47 AM   #2
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFMdk View Post
Hi,
Anyone who knows if the M Sport adaptive suspension lowers the car further 1 cm compared to the normal M Sport suspension, or if it is lowered 1 cm in total with either suspension?

I am considering adding adaptive suspension, but would like to know your thoughts on the difference between the regular M Sport suspension and adaptive suspension - is the difference in comfort noticeable or is mostly the same? I didn’t feel the standard M Sport suspension to be uncomfortable, but the test drive was also on pretty smooth tarmac. Let me hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Look here

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1695716

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 06:48 AM   #3
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

I don't know if it's any lower vs the fixed suspension, but I can tell you there is a very noticeable difference in ride comfort between Sport and Comfort (without any handling sacrifice). I've set up my Individual drive mode to have everything (steering, engine, transmission) in Sport with only Suspension set to Comfort. I feel like it's the absolute perfect set up for me.

If I'm ever out for a spirited drive on smoother roads I pop it into Sport Plus. Even then the suspension isn't jarring by any means, it's just not something I want to live with on my daily commute to work.

I'll never buy another car without an adaptive suspension setup. That and a heads up display are my new must haves with any potential new purchase.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

You def want the adaptive. It is not that expensive and there is a noticeable difference in sport and comfort.

M340 gives you two modes, comfort and sport. My previous M cars had comfort, sport, sport plus. Not sure why they did away with the sport plus in this application.

As for the ride height, I have always thought the BMW M sport sedans sit just about perfectly right out of the box. They always get that right.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:13 PM   #5
josehb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C Tanzanite Blue

As I understand it from my research is that the standard passive M sport suspension will give a stiffer ride than the adaptive suspension, but it will provide a more consistent feel and better handling than the adaptive one, that is why I did not order my M340i Xdrive with this option as I intend to track this car once a month. I'm willing to give up comfort for a more sportier feel.
Appreciate 1
chenry2346.00
      10-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #6
josehb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
You def want the adaptive. It is not that expensive and there is a noticeable difference in sport and comfort.

M340 gives you two modes, comfort and sport. My previous M cars had comfort, sport, sport plus. Not sure why they did away with the sport plus in this application.

As for the ride height, I have always thought the BMW M sport sedans sit just about perfectly right out of the box. They always get that right.
Of course it has Sport Plus just hit the sport button twice.+
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Adaptive suspension gives you comfort, sport, sport+, and adaptive modes with different dampening rates.
Comfort, sport and sport+ are consistent. Adaptive adjusts dampening based on your driving style.
Comfort is softer than the standard M suspension, sport is comparable, and sport+ is stiffer.

You can also have comfort+ coded which is even smoother than comfort
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
josehb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegester View Post
Adaptive suspension gives you comfort, sport, sport+, and adaptive modes with different dampening rates.
Comfort, sport and sport+ are consistent. Adaptive adjusts dampening based on your driving style.
Comfort is softer than the standard M suspension, sport is comparable, and sport+ is stiffer.

You can also have comfort+ coded which is even smoother than comfort
The beefy roll bars of the M sport suspension and the springs are the reason for the flat cornering of the car and not the dampers. If you track the car I would not get the adaptive suspension. The advantage of adaptive dampers is likely that it does make the car more planted and contributes to more grip and higher speeds on the track by smoothing out irregularities better than the standard dampers. Their job is not so much to increased roll stabilization and they are not really a substitute for roll bars. So in sport + there not always stiffer than the standard sport + and they adapt according to road irregularities. Stiffer for anti rolling depends on roll bars and springs not so much in dampers.
Appreciate 0