First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
DIY Black Grill on G20

Hi all,

Just wanted to share that I have successfully removed and taken out the grill, and repainted the grill.

The grill is removable and it is basically all clips, there are six clips on the top, underneath the rubber weather seal, as well as two in the middle connecting the two grills, two on the left and right side, and eight more on the bottom.

After the grill is released, it is still connected to the black middle grill piece (basically all the black grill parts) and that piece can be disconnected from the chrome grill. For those wondering if the black grill on the M340i is replaceable, it should be the same assembly, just different design, so if owners want to replace the M340i grill, they probably could.

I sprayed my grill matte black and reassembled the parts, and it looks much nicer than the chrome. I may gloss coat the grill in the future but for now it looks great.

Last edited by g20beam; 04-12-2019 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
TWD177574.50
DZ F30300.50
      04-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #2
vicfalc09
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1Driver View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to share that I have successfully removed and taken out the grill, and repainted the grill.

The grill is removable and it is basically all clips, there are six clips on the top, underneath the rubber weather seal, as well as two in the middle connecting the two grills, two on the left and right side, and eight more on the bottom.

After the grill is released, it is still connected to the black middle grill piece (basically all the black grill parts) and that piece can be disconnected from the chrome grill. For those wondering if the black grill on the M340i is replaceable, it should be the same assembly, just different design, so if owners want to replace the M340i grill, they probably could.

I sprayed my grill matte black and reassembled the parts, and it looks much nicer than the chrome. I may gloss coat the grill in the future but for now it looks great.
Any pics?
Appreciate 1
DZ F30300.50
      04-12-2019, 11:58 PM   #3
DZ F30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Hi all,

When you get the chance, you should upload some pics!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Truly one of those threads that's useless without pics, lol
Appreciate 3
      04-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
While we're waiting....
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Hi all,

Appreciate 1
vicfalc09211.00
      05-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
G8DZ1LA
Capre Diem
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440I GC 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
While we're waiting....
I feel like spraying mine as well lol.

BMW needs to release the parts already
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
MPWWRRD
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 F80 Competition

Not holding my breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8DZ1LA View Post
I feel like spraying mine as well lol.

BMW needs to release the parts already
A parts guy at Crevier said they didn't expect any shadowline kit parts in the States until early next year at the earliest. They can't even pre-order any. I tried to order them from BMW centers in Canada and they said no, that it was only a factory-installed option.
Appreciate 0