Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Finally Got My M340i Tuned By Mission Performance

02-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #23
mrkrad
Old Geezer!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i PB MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyabiev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
I typically do my best to run 91+E85 in my tank but when I don't have access I simply drop 91 in and go - the tune auto-adapts.
Does this mean he is just relying on the DME to pull timing?
How does it "auto-adapt"?
Quote:
Quote:
I typically do my best to run 91+E85 in my tank but when I don't have access I simply drop 91 in and go - the tune auto-adapts.
Knock sensors
You do realize that if timing is retarded too much it can literally melt your exhaust valves, turbine wheel and cat? Of course there is EGT failsafe logic embedded, but this "adapting" concept is bs honestly. Knock sensor is not for "adapting" for fuel. It's there to make fast corrections POST knock, reducing cylinder pressure and temperature for a short time, not BEFORE knock events.
It's adaptive with a map of load x rpm so if it detected knock it will remember and back off more and more timing until it is safe why if you run 87 on a b58 it doesn't require a new motor... bmw safeguards you from bad gas or think heatsoak sitting in traffic with the AC blasting you can't run the same timing in 120f weather stuck in traffic as you can when it's 30f outside even on 93 octane.. the knock sensors are a closed loop design to protect your motor always!
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #24
tjohnson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Garage List
2024 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Do you have any Dragy results for before and after the tune?? On my 100% stock car, I have a 0-60 time of 3.955 seconds.

Based on the dyno charts, a Stage 1 tune on 91 octane should be around 3.5 seconds on a 0-60 run.

Stage 2 with 93 should be around 3.2 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #25
alyabiev
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition Touring

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Knock sensors
You do realize that if timing is retarded too much it can literally melt your exhaust valves, turbine wheel and cat? Of course there is EGT failsafe logic embedded, but this "adapting" concept is bs honestly. Knock sensor is not for "adapting" for fuel. It's there to make fast corrections POST knock, reducing cylinder pressure and temperature for a short time, not BEFORE knock events.
It's adaptive with a map of load x rpm so if it detected knock it will remember and back off more and more timing until it is safe why if you run 87 on a b58 it doesn't require a new motor... bmw safeguards you from bad gas or think heatsoak sitting in traffic with the AC blasting you can't run the same timing in 120f weather stuck in traffic as you can when it's 30f outside even on 93 octane.. the knock sensors are a closed loop design to protect your motor always!
Did you read the first part of my post? Retarded timing shifts mixture burn process further from actual cylinder space to exhaust valves, manifold, turbine wheel and cat. Absolute timing degree does not matter in that case. I.e. 4° at 7000 RPM is just as bad as -4° at 3000 RPM because burning takes time.
      02-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #26
mrkrad
Old Geezer!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Knock sensors
Did you read the first part of my post? Retarded timing shifts mixture burn process further from actual cylinder space to exhaust valves, manifold, turbine wheel and cat. Absolute timing degree does not matter in that case. I.e. 4° at 7000 RPM is just as bad as -4° at 3000 RPM because burning takes time.
Most motronic knock systems add fuel in addition to pulling timing when knock is detected! I don't think Bosch pulls boost or reduces desired load on hearing knock but anything's possible these days!
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #27
alyabiev
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition Touring

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Knock sensors
Most motronic knock systems add fuel in addition to pulling timing when knock is detected! I don't think Bosch pulls boost or reduces desired load on hearing knock but anything's possible these days!
Every kind of modern ECU (including Japanese) retards timing and richens up AFR and if knock is still present ECU would pull load target down A LOT - all the way to 110-50% range, which is observed as WGDC and TP values drop in logs. This is also known as "limp mode".
      02-27-2020, 01:46 PM   #28
mrkrad
Old Geezer!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Knock sensors
Every kind of modern ECU (including Japanese) retards timing and richens up AFR and if knock is still present ECU would pull load target down A LOT - all the way to 110-50% range, which is observed as WGDC and TP values drop in logs. This is also known as "limp mode".
Yeah I was going to say limp mode is the route Bmw motronic takes on turbo cars that the ecu can't safely retard the timing. Good point

. The ecu manages knock continuously until it can't .

My n54 motor was serviced by Bmw and they left the wastegate hose off one turbo so it overboosted and the ecu shut that shit down quick by going into limp mode.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #29
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin340iMartin View Post
I'm going to be uploading the process on YouTube, but for now if anyone has questions or advise is needed feel free to ask!
Hey OP - when are we going to see those videos
Appreciate 0