Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Coding High Beam Assist. Is it possible?

12-30-2019, 03:11 AM   #1
WMC96
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Coding High Beam Assist. Is it possible?

I was curious if it is possible to code HBA and if anyone has attempted to do so. Based off of my research it seems as though all the required hardware is present (perhaps beside the HBA button on the stalk) and that individuals have had success in activating it via coding for older generations. However, I’ve yet to see anyone attempt it thus far with a G20. Also would it be possible to code for anti dazzle functionality as well? Again, it’s my understanding that I have all the required hardware (adaptive LED’s) it would just be a matter of enabling it. I’ve seen discussion around this topic in G20 laser light vehicles but nothing about vehicles equipped with only adaptive LED’s. Looking forward to any feedback! This is my first BMW and I love it so far, just would really like to enable HBA if possible as I grew used to it in my previous vehicle. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Interested in this also, as I have the LED package on my G20 and when I had the same package on my F30 it was standard. No sense why it can't be be added (except for BMW to charge 2000 euro for the extended light pack)
The only thing it does is to switch high beams on/off based on incoming traffic and since I have all packs except the laser lights, the hardware must be there.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I wish we could do it but BMW uses a button on the indicator stalk, below the BC button, to activate auto high beam. So I assume we wouldn't be able to get it to work without that stalk? In my B9 A4, I activated high beam assist and it worked perfectly. It didn't need any extra button or a different stalk. Push back on the stalk once for auto high beam, once more for manual high beam and once again to turn it off. I wish we could do that for the G20 too.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 07:27 PM   #4
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I wish we could do it but BMW uses a button on the indicator stalk, below the BC button, to activate auto high beam. So I assume we wouldn't be able to get it to work without that stalk? In my B9 A4, I activated high beam assist and it worked perfectly. It didn't need any extra button or a different stalk. Push back on the stalk once for auto high beam, once more for manual high beam and once again to turn it off. I wish we could do that for the G20 too.
+1. I coded it on my S5 too.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
WMC96
Rep

Quote:
I’m fairly certain that individuals were able to code older generation 3 series (that also used a HBA button on the stalk) to work even in vehicles that did not contain the button. Whenever your headlights turned on, HBA was automatically activated . While the button at first would seem necessary, I think it is actually possible to get around.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMC96 View Post
I’m fairly certain that individuals were able to code older generation 3 series (that also used a HBA button on the stalk) to work even in vehicles that did not contain the button. Whenever your headlights turned on, HBA was automatically activated . While the button at first would seem necessary, I think it is actually possible to get around.
I hope someone finds a workaround. I miss auto high beams big time, especially since I drive a lot on empty roads with hardly any street lights at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I hope someone finds a workaround. I miss auto high beams big time, especially since I drive a lot on empty roads with hardly any street lights at night.
I went with the Executive PKG just to get HBA.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:56 AM   #8
WMC96
Rep

Anyone else have any luck with this, I still haven't gotten anywhere. I had r33_RGSport attempt to code for me with no luck. I'm thinking of purchasing/installing a stalk that has the HBA button on it and seeing if that gets it to work, short of that I'm out of ideas. Seems as though Almaretto is very knowledge in this area and I would love to get his opinion but he seems to be very hard to get a hold of. Not sure where to go from here. I really would like to get this feature working but it would suck to purchase/install a new stalk and still not have any success, not sure if it's worth the risk.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #9
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 325i Touring

Quote:
Anyone else have any luck with this, I still haven't gotten anywhere. I had r33_RGSport attempt to code for me with no luck. I'm thinking of purchasing/installing a stalk that has the HBA button on it and seeing if that gets it to work, short of that I'm out of ideas. Seems as though Almaretto is very knowledge in this area and I would love to get his opinion but he seems to be very hard to get a hold of. Not sure where to go from here. I really would like to get this feature working but it would suck to purchase/install a new stalk and still not have any success, not sure if it's worth the risk.
Did you end up getting the stalk or get it to work?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #10
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

does HBA require FSC for KAFAS?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:17 AM   #11
rlaffey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e mSport+

Has anyone managed in succeeding with this? I see BMW now offer adding it via the ConnectedDrive store but it's currently showing unavailable for my VIN - I have the adaptive LEDs but no button on the stalk to hoping they add a "soft" button in the iDrive to enable.
Appreciate 1
WMC9622.00
      07-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #12
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaffey View Post
Has anyone managed in succeeding with this? I see BMW now offer adding it via the ConnectedDrive store but it's currently showing unavailable for my VIN - I have the adaptive LEDs but no button on the stalk to hoping they add a "soft" button in the iDrive to enable.
It's only available to July 2020 build cars.

They have a button on the light switch panel which is programmable. Download the software and then allocate it to the button.

This applies to the 1 series and up.

I suspect this is going to be more than just coding and actually needs software not in the cars currently.
VipinLJ1936.50
      07-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #13
WMC96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
Did you end up getting the stalk or get it to work?
I finally ended up purchasing the stalk with the HBA button on it and had it installed. The stalk functions normally but HBA still does not work. The first time I press the button a message appears on my instrument cluster that says "Function Acquirable" and a message appears on the GPS display that says "The Automatic High Beams can be acquired in the ConnectedDrive Store". Subsequent presses of the button just simply yield the message "Function not activated" on my instrument cluster. I'll include images below. I obviously cannot purchase the function in the ConnectedDrive Store as adding HBA is currently only an option on the 1 series. I do feel however with the proper coding it could be possible to get this feature to work. r33_RGSport attempted to code it for me before I had the stalk so I'm going to have him take a look at it again. When I installed the iDrive update released several weeks ago I lost all the tweaks he had enabled via coding so I was thinking perhaps the HBA coding was lost as well, but he does not believe this to be the case. I would love to get Almaretto's opinion on this situation as well as he seemed quite knowledgeable in this area but unfourtiantely it doesn't seem as though he is very active on this forum anymore. I'll let you guys know if r33_RGSport makes any progress when he looks at it again this time around.

https://ibb.co/VS8bmDd
https://ibb.co/Wk0jYc6
https://ibb.co/RPpK6kr
https://ibb.co/HCKLk6w
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1936.50
hamera441.50
      07-31-2020, 03:02 PM   #14
WMC96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
does HBA require FSC for KAFAS?
I think it is possible to enable it for both, but the methods vary. You do need either FSC or KAFAS however. Without them the feature is not possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #15
WMC96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by del82 View Post

They have a button on the light switch panel which is programmable. Download the software and then allocate it to the button.

I suspect this is going to be more than just coding and actually needs software not in the cars currently.
You may be correct. I'm interested to see how my situation plays out.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #16
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by del82 View Post

You may be correct. I'm interested to see how my situation plays out.
I'm also intrigued. If you can install the unit with the HBA button, the software exists because BMW sell it, and clever chaps can update iStep without need for a dealer then at some point it could be coded in once the software code is available. It seems it might be to early for coding it until the software is out?

In fact I don't know why BMW wouldn't support the purchase and install of the stalk with the HBA button and then flog the software. Easy money maker form them?

Either way an interesting project.
      08-08-2020, 04:19 AM   #17
WMC96
Rep

Hi all. Just wanted to let you know that following the installation of my new stalk r33_RGSport coded my vehicle again today (took about 20 mins) and I’m happy to report that HBA now works flawlessly. It is a bit of a pain in the ass but just figured that I would spread the word that it is possible to retrofit HBA in the G20 with a little time and effort if the feature is that important to you. I’m not aware of anyone else who has done this yet so just figured I would get the news out there. Take care everyone and best of luck!
Appreciate 5
hamera441.50
del82102.00
VipinLJ1936.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
SaNGRia980.00
      08-08-2020, 04:33 AM   #18
AM330e
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (G20)

Quote:
Hi all. Just wanted to let you know that following the installation of my new stalk r33_RGSport coded my vehicle again today (took about 20 mins) and I’m happy to report that HBA now works flawlessly. It is a bit of a pain in the ass but just figured that I would spread the word that it is possible to retrofit HBA in the G20 with a little time and effort if the feature is that important to you. I’m not aware of anyone else who has done this yet so just figured I would get the news out there. Take care everyone and best of luck!
Where did you buy the HBA indicator stalk and how much did the whole project cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #19
WMC96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM330e View Post
Where did you buy the HBA indicator stalk and how much did the whole project cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
I bought the stalk on eBay for $200. It came from a 2020 340i that was being parted out following an accident. The install cost me $180 at my local indy BMW shop and the coding was $100. So in total the whole project cost me almost $500. Given how important that feature is to me it was worth it. Definitely was a risk at the time though because to the best of my knowledge no one had done it yet with the G20.
Appreciate 2
AM330e1.00
hamera441.50
      08-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #20
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Quote:
I bought the stalk on eBay for $200. It came from a 2020 340i that was being parted out following an accident. The install cost me $180 at my local indy BMW shop and the coding was $100. So in total the whole project cost me almost $500. Given how important that feature is to me it was worth it. Definitely was a risk at the time though because to the best of my knowledge no one had done it yet with the G20.
Apart from the stalk, what coding needed to be done to enable the feature?
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 08:21 AM   #21
WMC96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_dracula View Post
Apart from the stalk, what coding needed to be done to enable the feature?
Not sure as I didn’t personally perform any of it. The coding aspect was handled remotely in its entirety by r33_RGSport.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:46 AM   #22
lemos
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: g21

r33_RGSport
Appreciate 0