BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires 18” vs 19” wheels on 330i xDrive

02-19-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
jajus198
Rep
Drives: 330i X

Unhappy 18” vs 19” wheels on 330i xDrive

Hello all,

This is my first post. I'm very close to inking a deal on a beautiful 2019 330i, M Sport with X Drive, Adaptive M suspension and M Differential. It comes in Portimao Blue.

It comes with 19 inch Pirelli Cinturato P7 tires - All season run flat, 225/40 R19 on the front and back.

The tires are run flats. My concern is the harshness of the ride. I did some quick research and folks seem to be recommending the 18 inch wheels for this 3 series over the 19.

I spoke to the dealer and he said with adaptive suspension, I don't have to worry about the harshness of the ride. I'm a bit skeptical of the adaptive suspension since another dealer told me it only works at high speeds and it's basically the same as comfort mode. He said adaptive suspension only works on the Race track.

He also mentioned that the base 330i will ride more comfortable than my choice.

I'm from NY but live in Houston and our roads are not great. They are just ok. I opted for X drive since it sits a bit higher than the base 330 and if I ever move back to the north east thill be covered.

My question is am I overthinking this? My friend has 2018 5 series with 19 inch run flats and he has no issue whatsoever. For me, I'm spending a lot and I can't make mistakes.

Unfortunately, I am not able to test this particular car I am looking to buy since it is located few states over. I was able to test a 330i with 19 inch wheels WITHOUT XDrive and Adoatice Suspension and it ran ok. The reason I'm going to so far for this car is because it has all the added options I want but I'm getting a really good deal. It's same added options as the M340i give or take minus the engine upgrade of course...

Will my experience be worse or better than what I test drove in terms of comfort? Am I overthinking or not and is the 19 inch a good option to take over 18 with the options I posted above.

Go for it or find something local? Or not
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

I wouldn't be concerned with ride harshness from a suspension perspective ( given adaptive suspension), but the tires are a factor to consider. Run flats provide a harsher ride.

I have 18 inch 225/40 run flats and I hate them. Aside from the frequent flats I had given NY roads (caused by the run flats), I know my ride is harsher minus my sport suspension. I'm planning on ordering the M340 and will take non run flats because I don't feel it's right that I'm basically strong armed into buying tire insurance because I live in NY.

If you want ultimate comfort, get 18 inch non-RFT's, simple as that. Aesthetically it's a sacrifice but you will get the additional comfort and sidewall security. The quality of the roads and susceptibility to pothole damage is something you have to consider as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #3
jajus198
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKrazyPolak View Post
I wouldn't be concerned with ride harshness from a suspension perspective ( given adaptive suspension), but the tires are a factor to consider. Run flats provide a harsher ride.

I have 18 inch 225/40 run flats and I hate them. Aside from the frequent flats I had given NY roads (caused by the run flats), I know my ride is harsher minus my sport suspension. I'm planning on ordering the M340 and will take non run flats because I don't feel it's right that I'm basically strong armed into buying tire insurance because I live in NY.

If you want ultimate comfort, get 18 inch non-RFT's, simple as that. Aesthetically it's a sacrifice but you will get the additional comfort and sidewall security. The quality of the roads and susceptibility to pothole damage is something you have to consider as well.

Thank you!!

It looks like the tires are non run flats. They seem to be regular all seasons.

What do you think? Is it worth it or wait for a car in my area with the 18s and lose my options and deal?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #4
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajus198 View Post
Quote:

Thank you!!

It looks like the tires are non run flats. They seem to be regular all seasons.

What do you think? Is it worth it or wait for a car in my area with the 18s and lose my options and deal?
I know with the 330 your limited in terms of the rim and tire choices. They make you get 19's with the M Sport package.

Like I said, it depends on your past experiences given your roads. If you think you will be ok with 19's and run flats, then go for it. I heard that run flats now are better then they were 4 years ago, but personally, I'm not sold on that. If It was me I would get 18's and have the extra peace of mind. But this is based on my experience with NY roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
jajus198
Rep

Quote:
I know with the 330 your limited in terms of the rim and tire choices. They make you get 19's with the M Sport package.

Like I said, it depends on your past experiences given your roads. If you think you will be ok with 19's and run flats, then go for it. I heard that run flats now are better then they were 4 years ago, but personally, I'm not sold on that. If It was me I would get 18's and have the extra peace of mind. But this is based on my experience with NY roads.
Makes sense bro. Since they make you get the 19s with the M Sport Package that's why. If I got it new it would be 19 as well once I go M Sport which I intended to do.

Only option would be shell out extra bread for the M340i with 18s - can't find any new. Or downgrade my own tires ughhhhhh
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

I have what very well may be the "harshest possible" config, which is MSport xDrive with 19" all season run flats but I'm still amazed at how smooth it is. I do have adaptive suspension and that is my preferred mode. Sport mode is good at what it does, letting you feel the road. Comfort mode is smooth but can get a bit bouncy on some highways (this may be the "high speed" condition your salesguy referred to?). This is where adaptive is great... absorbs the bumps without feeling like a bouncy cage, yet feels tight in curves, it's like the set it and forget it mode for me.

The run flats only have a few hundred miles on them, so I may hate them as they age. I got the spare tire option because it was cheap, just to keep my future options open, but then I removed it shortly after taking delivery of the car to recover all the trunk space and remove unnecessary weight.

The xDrive all season run flats are non staggered, but on 19" wheels they do not look skinny or weak looking at the rear of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #7
jajus198
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
I have what very well may be the "harshest possible" config, which is MSport xDrive with 19" all season run flats but I'm still amazed at how smooth it is. I do have adaptive suspension and that is my preferred mode. Sport mode is good at what it does, letting you feel the road. Comfort mode is smooth but can get a bit bouncy on some highways (this may be the "high speed" condition your salesguy referred to?). This is where adaptive is great... absorbs the bumps without feeling like a bouncy cage, yet feels tight in curves, it's like the set it and forget it mode for me.

The run flats only have a few hundred miles on them, so I may hate them as they age. I got the spare tire option because it was cheap, just to keep my future options open, but then I removed it shortly after taking delivery of the car to recover all the trunk space and remove unnecessary weight.

The xDrive all season run flats are non staggered, but on 19" wheels they do not look skinny or weak looking at the rear of the car.
Do you have the 330 or the M340? I can't tell. You're the guy to ask because that's the exact combo I'm trying to get.

Do you have any other cars you've driven to compare to your experience with your vehicle? Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me bro. I appreciate it.

Logically speaking. I actually put myself in this situation.

I like the 330 with M Sport and I figured the adaptive suspension would be better off than the M Sport Suspension, so I sought this out. Not sure why I'm overly surprised 😅
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:42 PM   #8
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have the 330 or the M340? I can't tell. You're the guy to ask because that's the exact combo I'm trying to get.

Do you have any other cars you've driven to compare to your experience with your vehicle? Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me bro. I appreciate it.

Logically speaking. I actually put myself in this situation.

I like the 330 with M Sport and I figured the adaptive suspension would be better off than the M Sport Suspension, so I sought this out. Not sure why I'm overly surprised ��
Mine is 2020 330i xdrive msport with 19" 791M black rims and 225/40 run flat tires (Bridgestone LS100 specifically). Prior car was a Lexus 3rd gen IS 250 F-sport RWD and even though that car had staggered 18" and non-run flats, the bimmer takes rough pavement better all the way around. But at the same time I'm comparing a new car to a 6 year old car and time can affect certain things things like suspension mounts. I always thought the Lexus was a good combination of tight, but not too jarring or noisy, but the 330i definitely rides smoother overall. Also doing the comparison between the bimmer with new run flats versus the Lexus with a brand new set of Continental DWS non-run flat all seasons... I hated the Continentals btw.. Michelins I had before that were much better.

I think part of it is the G20 is just generally set up for better damping of rough pavement and noise absorption. Don't get me wrong it makes plenty of the right kind of noise in sport mode, and good-god does it ever have more power than the Lexus. For another comparison, I once had a Nissan Maxima that also had 255hp with a 3.5 liter V6, but if that was 255hp then the 330i feels more like 300+ HP. I think it's the torque the twin scroll turbo brings. As all the videos I watched said, the 330i (especially the xdrive version) punches way above its weight class in power.

Last edited by TheRetroGuy; 02-19-2020 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:26 PM   #9
jajus198
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Mine is 2020 330i xdrive msport with 19" 791M black rims and 225/40 run flat tires (Bridgestone LS100 specifically). Prior car was a Lexus 3rd gen IS 250 F-sport RWD and even though that car had staggered 18" and non-run flats, the bimmer takes rough pavement better all the way around. But at the same time I'm comparing a new car to a 6 year old car and time can affect certain things things like suspension mounts. I always thought the Lexus was a good combination of tight, but not too jarring or noisy, but the 330i definitely rides smoother overall. Also doing the comparison between the bimmer with new run flats versus the Lexus with a brand new set of Continental DWS non-run flat all seasons... I hated the Continentals btw.. Michelins I had before that were much better.

I think part of it is the G20 is just generally set up for better damping of rough pavement and noise absorption. Don't get me wrong it makes plenty of the right kind of noise in sport mode, and good-god does it ever have more power than the Lexus. For another comparison, I once had a Nissan Maxima that also had 255hp with a 3.5 liter V6, but if that was 255hp then the 330i feels more like 300+ HP. I think it's the torque the twin scroll turbo brings. As all the videos I watched said, the 330i (especially the xdrive version) punches way above its weight class in power.

You just made me smile bro. Feel like I'm making the right decision again. It hurts to overthink things. I think it will be fine. I can't wait for it. Bro I've been studying this car for six months. If you don't mind me asking are you leaving or did you buy? If so how much was your 2020 kitted?

Also does your car have M differential

Last edited by jajus198; 02-19-2020 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:30 AM   #10
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You just made me smile bro. Feel like I'm making the right decision again. It hurts to overthink things. I think it will be fine. I can't wait for it. Bro I've been studying this car for six months. If you don't mind me asking are you leaving or did you buy? If so how much was your 2020 kitted?

Also does your car have M differential
I did not get M differential.. I got pretty much every available option except the ones I didn't really want or need, basically track package, laser headlights, and gesture control. I wanted all the parking and autonomous features, remote start, HK stereo, etc. Got a little over 9% off the msrp not including the steal I got on a extended platinum warranty + wheel and tire insurance which would raise that percent. I always prefer to buy instead of lease just because I don't like making mileage projections and sometimes I keep cars a long time (5-7 years). Judging by my initial impressions this may be a 7+ year car for me.

Feel free to PM me with other questions, I hate to put too much off topic info into a wheel and tire thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #11
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep

Just out of curiosity, what did they quote you for the tire insurance + for how long?
Appreciate 0